Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 90

Author Topic: Starsector 0.7a (Released) Patch Notes  (Read 574331 times)

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
Re: Starsector 0.7a (In Development) Patch Notes
« Reply #585 on: November 12, 2015, 05:56:56 PM »

He will...later, when the game is more 'ready' for it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: November 12, 2015, 07:18:12 PM »

I agree Starsector as it is now is not ready for Steam.  It does not take long to reach endgame, and there is no win (or lose) condition.  Also, people will need to install 64-bit Java to play more than a few mods.  If Starsector needs mods to be good for more than a few games, it will not last long.

The masses will be attracted by a shiny new game for a month or two, then move on to more fresh meat... unless the game is superb enough to be replayed over and over again.  Starsector, good as it is, is not at that level yet.

gruberscomplete

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: November 13, 2015, 06:17:23 PM »

It could make for a nice christmas present, I bet :P

Oh GOD no! Don't listen to him, Alex!!! Christmas is too far away!

Yeah, no way. Valentine's Day seems more appropriate anyway, doesn't it? (Kidding, kidding.)

Great... December/January release date.
Click here for FREE ships!               Plentysector               Robots With Souls

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: November 13, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »

Great... December/January release date.
Well, he *did* say 11th hour bug fixes a couple of days ago with that 50 MB of US saving bug - so it has to be close to release if he says that.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Ranakastrasz

• Admiral
  • Prince Corwin of Amber
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: November 13, 2015, 08:08:12 PM »

Safety Overrides: now also extends overload duration by 50%
Isn't that a skill effect that applies to the player? A disadvantage for something like that would really make more sense as a toggle of some kind.
I think is easy for Simba and Mufasa sing the Circle of Life when they're on the top of the food chain, I bet the zebras hate that song.

Cigarettes are a lot like hamsters. Perfectly harmless, until you put one in your mouth and light it on fire

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: November 13, 2015, 08:09:20 PM »

Isn't that a skill effect that applies to the player? A disadvantage for something like that would really make more sense as a toggle of some kind.

I'm not sure what you mean; could you clarify?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: November 13, 2015, 08:12:21 PM »

I'm not sure what you mean; could you clarify?
I think he mixed up the skill called Safety Overrides with new hull mod and thinks that the skill will now cause you to have 50% longer overloads
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: November 13, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »

Ahhhh, right, there's a perk called "Safety Override". Yeah, need to rename that, that's super confusing.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: November 13, 2015, 08:44:45 PM »

I agree Starsector as it is now is not ready for Steam.  It does not take long to reach endgame, and there is no win (or lose) condition.  Also, people will need to install 64-bit Java to play more than a few mods.  If Starsector needs mods to be good for more than a few games, it will not last long.

The masses will be attracted by a shiny new game for a month or two, then move on to more fresh meat... unless the game is superb enough to be replayed over and over again.  Starsector, good as it is, is not at that level yet.

Megas is absolutely right. Need replayability in both vanilla and what mods can add. Thats is beyond just faction and ships, thats like extra story or campaign functionality.

In fallout 4 all of the new "content" are all baisically mods at one point.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: November 13, 2015, 09:07:11 PM »

Hey, no argument from me.

Cycerin

• Admiral
  • beyond the infinite void
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: November 14, 2015, 01:03:03 AM »

Ahhhh, right, there's a perk called "Safety Override". Yeah, need to rename that, that's super confusing.

Rename it to Inviolability Abrogation

Clockwork Owl

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Starsector South Korean Community
« Reply #596 on: November 14, 2015, 02:41:00 AM »

Limiter Removal.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: November 14, 2015, 04:38:38 AM »

It's quite fun to struggle your way to the top, and depending on your playstyle it can also take quite a while. So I think (re)playability is quite decent already. But if you're looking for inspiration, I can only repeat myself and suggest: Mount & Blade: Warband. Crusader Kings 2. Nexerelin and Uomoz's Corvus.

Having 'system lords' struggle for dominance instead of faceless factions. Being able to interact with them, to forge treaties and do missions. Being able to lay siege to and take control of stations. Being able to start your own faction and have everybody else hate you for it.

Industry isn't in yet, so I'm gonna hold my tongue on that one and see what you come up with. ;)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: November 14, 2015, 07:40:51 AM »

Safety Override perk merely speeds up venting?  Call it something that is self-explanatory, like... Efficient Heat Pump Accelerated Flux Ejector.  (Cannot use Shunt because that is the Monitor's builtin hullmod.)

Quick question:  Will boarding be an option if player already has max (25) ships in his fleet?  Just thinking that if player has max ships, boarding should be skipped altogether or else problems ensue (player exceeds cap, marines mysteriously auto-fail, or something).

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: November 14, 2015, 10:40:26 AM »

It's quite fun to struggle your way to the top, and depending on your playstyle it can also take quite a while. So I think (re)playability is quite decent already. But if you're looking for inspiration, I can only repeat myself and suggest: Mount & Blade: Warband. Crusader Kings 2. Nexerelin and Uomoz's Corvus.

Having 'system lords' struggle for dominance instead of faceless factions. Being able to interact with them, to forge treaties and do missions. Being able to lay siege to and take control of stations. Being able to start your own faction and have everybody else hate you for it.

Industry isn't in yet, so I'm gonna hold my tongue on that one and see what you come up with. ;)

I think it's just one of those things where having higher-level goals (i.e. something to do with your fleet that isn't just for the purpose of getting a bigger fleet) will go a really, really long way. Can't wait to work on that, actually.

Quick question:  Will boarding be an option if player already has max (25) ships in his fleet?  Just thinking that if player has max ships, boarding should be skipped altogether or else problems ensue (player exceeds cap, marines mysteriously auto-fail, or something).

Right, it is indeed skipped altogether.

(Re: perk - renamed it to "Dedicated Conduits".)
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 90