Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Endgame Money Sink: Pump My Ship  (Read 3342 times)

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
Endgame Money Sink: Pump My Ship
« on: March 17, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »

So... 5 day old game, fleet is a single destroyer, four missile frigates, and freighters.

40 million credits...

Can we have some sort of system in place to upgrade ships beyond their regular limits? Say, pay X for more OP/Speed/Flux Capacity/etc.

If you want some sort of balance, you can make it so upgrading one aspect reduces another; forcing you to upgrade that aspect as well for loads of cash. Or take the easy way and ask for increasingly obscene amounts of cash.

Unbalanced? Probably, but if I want to drop 30 million creds on a single ship when the most expensive capital doesn't even come near 1 million; it may as well be unbalanced.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2015, 05:23:31 PM by Blaze »

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
Re: Endgame Money Sink: Pump My Ship
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2015, 06:17:44 PM »

Well, the looks of the current Vanilla and its mods nowadays, I don't think spending cash alone should make a difference in the battlefield.

Instead, I think of having players to find rare resources that would grant small portions of upgrades such as either "lost artifacts" or some unobtanium minerals that would give out ships like 5% of basic statistics that have diminishing returns on continuous upgrades of a single stat, but that's just what I'm thinking for endgame.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2015, 07:21:46 PM »

What we really need is something to do in the endgame, something to spend money on. Maybe we could put together an expedition to find the remainder of the domain; maybe we could start an institute to reverse-engineer ships; maybe we could acquire entire stations. I expect that things like this will be added in due course.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2015, 08:03:04 PM »

I was actually thinking of something like this along with the ability to build in hull mods and also repair D class ships
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 06:29:23 AM »

How about building and running an empire.  More bases and more fleets, and all of them are yours.

Taizo Puckett

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 10:37:10 PM »

How about hats? :)

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 05:19:52 AM »

The CURRENT endgame money sink is buying every weapon and every ship from every port (that sells anything you want ever) just so that you have a CHANCE of getting the ships and weapons you want in decent enough quantities.

If you are flying around in whatever low-tech ships you picked up along the way, that is not endgame.  If your fleet consists entirely of top-tier ships with entire spare fleets of both the same and alternative configurations based wherever you call home, THAT is endgame.

Just thought you should think about where you can go and what you can do now before you try to figure out how to go even further.  As far as end-game money is concerned, I'd like to be able to spend more money to get specific ships instead of buying from randomly generated inventories.  That could become part of a system where I have to maintain my own shipyards and bases, which would be incredibly expensive, but then along with those bases comes a means for making even more money.  As it stands basic trading and bounty-hunting earns money far too quickly.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2015, 07:45:30 AM »

Just thought you should think about where you can go and what you can do now before you try to figure out how to go even further.  As far as end-game money is concerned, I'd like to be able to spend more money to get specific ships instead of buying from randomly generated inventories.  That could become part of a system where I have to maintain my own shipyards and bases, which would be incredibly expensive, but then along with those bases comes a means for making even more money.  As it stands basic trading and bounty-hunting earns money far too quickly.
I like the money and especially XP gravy-train we are on.  Currently, endgame shopping feels like "gambling" in Diablo 2.  (In Starsector, buy all, wait, and hope that what you want spawns next.)  What I like to spend my credits on is empire construction and expansion.  Player makes enough money to support many fleets, and the player will need many fleets and the bases to support them to run an empire.