Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Mission editor 0.5 (Updated April 10) LINUX COMPATIBLE  (Read 38188 times)

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.44 (Updated March 19) MODDED SHIP SUPPORT ADDED
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2015, 01:39:31 PM »

(If you want to speed up Mac compatibility you could help me--I don't know how Macs work.)

Well, I can play on a Mac, but I can't reverse-engineer one very well. ;) But I'll help with whatever I can, and hopefully that will be enough speed your work along.

In the Mac OS X version of Starsector, the path--

Starfarer.app/Contents/Resources/Java

--takes you to what is the equivalent of the "starsector-core" directory in the Windows version. In there, Mac Starsector keeps its "data" and "graphics" folders.

I'm trapped with an older 32-bit Mac that can run nothing newer than Starsector 0.61a-RC2 (yeah, i know it's old; lack of money stinks  :-[ ).
However, I just downloaded a copy of Mac Starsector 0.65.2a-RC2 (the latest game) and I can confirm that the same default path applies for people playing the game on 64-bit-capable Macs.

On the boot drive of a Mac, there is a default directory called Applications. Some people are happy to have their games installed there, but others opt not to do that. For my own part, Starsector is installed on another physical drive entirely separate from my boot drive. To handle non-default installations, MissionMaker for Mac OS X would need to make a systemwide search for the directory path I showed above, rather than merely taking a peek inside the Applications folder.

A second complication comes from having multiple versions (older and newer) of Starsector on the same Mac.

To differentiate between these programs, I have changed their filenames to more descriptive ones such as "SS 0.61a-RC2 modded-C6". Because of this, a search for the default pathing will yield no results for MissionMaker, which is bad.

What will be needed to handle that is some sort of program dialogue, option box, or even a text-based preferences file accessible prior to MissionMaker's runtime to let the user choose the directory that he wants MM to read from & also write to.

I'm really hoping that this is enough info to be useful to you; I don't know much more than this. Even though I can't run the 64-bit Mac version of Starsector, I still frequently play older 32-bit versions and would make use of MissionMaker if I could. Thanks for reading.  :)
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »

Thanks! This will be a big help!  :)

c plus one

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »

Thanks! This will be a big help!  :)

You're welcome - I'm happy (and relieved!) this is the case. ;D

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »

I should tell you that even when Mac is supported you still won't be able to just download an executable--I'd need a Mac to compile on. You'll have to download the source and Python and Pygame.  :(

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.44 (Updated March 19) TECH SAVVY MAC TESTERS NEEDED
« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2015, 08:22:01 PM »

Mac testers needed!

I am working on compatibility for Macs. I need tech savvy testers, because I do not own a Mac. If you are interested in helping, follow these instructions:

• Download and install Python here (Make sure to get the 32 bit version even if you have a 64 bit OS.)
  • Download and install Pygame here. Get 'pygame-1.9.1release-python.org-32bit-py2.7-macosx10.3.dmg'
  • Download the test source here.
  • Unzip the test source.
  • Change paths.txt to point to the correct paths (More information given in OP.)
  • Navigate to MissionMaker.py. It should have an icon that looks sort of like a piece of paper with a colored cross over it. If it doesn't, something went horribly wrong. Run MissionMaker.py.
  • Post the error you receive.

Thank you for helping me develop this program. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2015, 08:25:48 PM by Xanderzoo »

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.45 (Updated March 20) TECH SAVVY MAC TESTERS NEEDED
« Reply #35 on: March 20, 2015, 08:46:24 AM »

Mission Editor 0.45 Release

This release asks the user for the width and height of the map as well as the command points of the player.

The download links have been updated.

If you have any problems, discover a bug, or have a suggestion/request, please tell me so I can fix/add it.

If you are interested in helping me achieve Mac compatibility, follow the instructions given already posted.

Sproginator

• Admiral
  • Forum Ancient
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.45 (Updated March 20) TECH SAVVY MAC TESTERS NEEDED
« Reply #36 on: March 20, 2015, 05:08:53 PM »

its people like you that are revolutionising the way star sector is modded. Well done!
A person who's never made a mistake, never tried anything new
- Albert Einstein

As long as we don't quit, we haven't failed
- Jamie Fristrom (Programmer for Spiderman2 & Lead Developer for Energy Hook)

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.45 (Updated March 20) MAC TESTERS NEEDED
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2015, 09:47:11 AM »

I'm just wondering, is anyone on a Mac interested in testing? If I scared you off by saying you need to be 'tech savvy', I didn't mean you need to know how to program or anything. All you have to know is basic stuff like unzipping files and using the terminal.

The reason I need testers is I do not own a Mac.

c plus one

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2015, 12:30:06 PM »

Xanderzoo, I'm willing to give this a try; will report back.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 21, 2015, 02:40:16 PM »

Great!  :)

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.46 (Updated March 22) MAC TESTERS NEEDED
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »

Mission Editor 0.46 Release

The user can now enable/disable mods on a per-mod basis. Press 'm' to go into mod mode and click the check boxes to enable/disable them. Press
'm' to leave mod mode.

The download links have been updated. (Note. They are uploading as I write this. It may take a little while.)

If you have any problems, discover a bug, or have a suggestion/request, please tell me so I can fix/add it.

So far has anyone tried the Mac test? I really need some one to try it and report back.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.46 (Updated March 22) MAC TESTERS NEEDED
« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2015, 07:03:55 PM »

Mac Testers REALLY needed

It's possible that I'm overestimating the importance of Mac compatibility. Maybe not enough people use it for it to be important. However, if you use a Mac, and want to use MissionMaker on it, I would definitely appreciate it if you would collaborate with me.

Xanderzoo

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Mission editor 0.47 (Updated March 26) MAC TESTERS REALLY NEEDED
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2015, 03:51:34 PM »

Mission Editor 0.47 Release

Loading missions is partially implemented. Press 'L' to load a mission. Click on the checkbox for the mission you wish to load. Right now MissionMaker will only load ships. Later it will load nebulae, objectives, and asteroids.

The download links have been updated.

If you have a Mac, and want to help me achieve compatibility, please follow the instructions given 8 posts above.

Az the Squishy

• Captain
  • I'm but a woman with a pencil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2015, 07:02:30 PM »

I don't have a mac, but I do have linux. And thus, WINE, a windows compatibility layer that lets me run windows programs on Linux. I'll test the version and see what I come up with. Othewise, awesome work! keep it up!!!

If it works on linux it may work on Mac in the mean time. with wine for Macintosh :)

edit:

I'm not going to try compiling from source yet, as... well, I really don't feel comfortable doing that, keep messing up on things, even with instruction sometimes... either way, Testing the .exe

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »

I've got a Mac, and a mod in progress that needs some missions - I'd be willing to give this a crack at some point.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5