Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3014202 times)

Lance

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.3c "SpaceLand Battle" (update 2021-09-18)
« Reply #4170 on: October 07, 2021, 08:09:50 PM »

i believe that the point of the independants is to have a faction of unorganized planets and governances. If they start to be organized they wont be independant of -each other- and of others factions anymore. So technically, it is faction which doesnt behave as a faction.

theorically we could have a lot of small factions for each independant planets with different behaviours and relations but it's just a pain in the ass to code and a performance killer.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 08:12:13 PM by Lance »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4171 on: October 07, 2021, 09:26:05 PM »

It seems like at the start of the game, most vanilla faction, aside from pirates and luddic path is at peace with one another, is this normal? Hegemony is at peace with Persean League, Tri, and Diktat. Also is there a way to change starting faction relations? I know faction config only applies to randon core world but I wish to edit starting relations for the normal game. Thanks for the mod!
Yeah vanilla Starsector (which Nex largely reuses) has no major factions set to hostile with each other at start. (I seem to recall it generating some initial faction hostility events between a few of the factions, but now I can't seem to find it in code?)

For editing start relations in non-random sector, you'll have to use a Java script in a mod.

(I should probably do that config setting I had planned, where it applies random sector relations from the config files to non-random sector)

What about giving Independents something interesting politics wise? Like they would once in a few cicles assemble to take a political talk about some decisions. Player with a colony, good relations with indies and no commission could also participate in it if they arrive at person. They could decide to embargo major faction they don't like (basically they turn inhospitable), attempt to pacify a minor pirate market (essentially invading it to turn it Independent) and some other things. Maybe if the player sat bombs other faction they would also no longer immediately turn hostile and have an emergency summit or something. Which player could turn to their favour by agents, story points or bribes.
Well that's already more complex diplomacy than currently exists between the major factions :)

The idea is interesting though, might look at it again if I ever get around to doing that advanced diplomacy system.

Smartfolk

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4172 on: October 08, 2021, 07:26:48 AM »

Here is a video I made on the new ground combat system with strategy and tips.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQNmw3Bgn5A

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4173 on: October 09, 2021, 05:07:15 AM »

Cool!

Comment I left on the Reddit thread, crossposting here because others might find the background of the feature interesting:
Anybody feeling the EU4 combat's influence on this? From the morale and health with the unit low on morale refusing your order, organizing infantry units with armaments = death stack/army composition, military district = forts, rebellion from conquered planets = rebellion on provinces, are few things i recognize.

Incredible job Sir Nexerelin!
Thanks!

I haven't actually played EU4 (or any Paradox game, besides a bit of fiddling with CK2 that one time). I'd say similarities with the Nex invasion system are due mainly to both being based (loosely, in my case) on real life warfare.

The morale mechanic was the result of reading Bret Devereaux's blog (you may know it from his series on topics like  EU4 Lord of the RingsGame of Thrones, but also real-world topics like  ancient farming or  Sparta ). Little fun fact: wanting to incorporate morale was the reason I created the unit-based system, rather than  the very early draft which had simple per-industry stacks of marine/heavy arms commodity units.

The 'reorganizing' state (when units with low morale refuse to move) in particular was cribbed from  The Operational Art of War  ( hyper-realistic strategic wargame ).

Duloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4174 on: October 14, 2021, 05:59:44 PM »

Ooof. Current version of ground combat implementation is.... a bit wonky. Moved in on a size-7 world after their starbase was destroyed by a failed hegemony invasion fleet. Brought in thousands of marines and supplies, millions of credits worth, as well as plenty of heavy weaponry and some ships with ground support mods. Actually had greater firepower than the defenders, yay! But.... the amount of troops I could deploy each day? Insignificant. Each location on the ground had more troops than I could deploy in a day; so many that my max per day would often be entirely wiped out before I could deploy further.

Interesting, and clearly had quite a bit of work put into it... but nonfunctional. Will be backtracking to the oldest version that still works with 0.95.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4175 on: October 14, 2021, 06:58:40 PM »

I mean, congratulations, it's actually much harder to invade a planet that has tens of millions of people on it all by yourself. If anything, the new version is doing its job, in my opinion; taking super-markets was far too easy previously.

If you want to take a market that big, you are going to need to consider using a *lot* of bombardment and leadership skills.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4176 on: October 15, 2021, 03:27:02 AM »

Ooof. Current version of ground combat implementation is.... a bit wonky. Moved in on a size-7 world after their starbase was destroyed by a failed hegemony invasion fleet. Brought in thousands of marines and supplies, millions of credits worth, as well as plenty of heavy weaponry and some ships with ground support mods. Actually had greater firepower than the defenders, yay! But.... the amount of troops I could deploy each day? Insignificant. Each location on the ground had more troops than I could deploy in a day; so many that my max per day would often be entirely wiped out before I could deploy further.
Hmm, which planet was this? Did you disrupt the ground defenses/heavy batteries present (with an operative or a tactical bombardment)?

I don't think I've encountered a scenario where you can't drop more strength on turn 1 than any particular industry has defending it. The EW ability helps too (reduces all enemy attack power by 30%, and keeps them from moving reinforcements from other industries, for 1-2 turns).

Duloth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4177 on: October 15, 2021, 03:35:27 PM »

The first time I ran into that sort of issue was a modded world, one of the Diable Avionics worlds; then later I ran into the same situation on Gilead. Over 9000 marines on my fleet, each enemy location had over a thousand troops; it wouldn't let me deploy more than a few hundred in a day; my available move points would drop into the negative at a point where the enemy outnumbered my forces still by better than 3:1. On the plus side, apparently turning on auto-move can resolve it; I tried that and on day 2 was at around -3000 move points and wouldn't be able to issue any commands until the invasion was over but enough troops had deployed to get the job done.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4178 on: October 19, 2021, 01:50:44 PM »

When asking to list all mining ships and weapons ingame, I get a nullpointer error line on the UI (no game crash) where the usual list normally appears. It was working before, so I figure that some recent change in a mod is responsible, but none of the mining_ships/mining_weapons.csv files seem incorrect (same with lines in modSettings.json for the few mods that use that instead) and disabling recently modified/added mods hasn't fixed it.
Listing mining strength of ships currently in player fleet works fine.

Here is the relevant part on the log:
Spoiler
445474 [Thread-3] WARN  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.super  - Problem with command of class com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.Nex_PrintMiningInfo: null
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at exerelin.campaign.MiningHelperLegacy.getWingMiningStrength(MiningHelperLegacy.java:525)
   at exerelin.campaign.MiningHelperLegacy.getWingMiningStrength(MiningHelperLegacy.java:520)
   at exerelin.campaign.MiningHelperLegacy.getVariantMiningStrength(MiningHelperLegacy.java:511)
   at exerelin.campaign.MiningHelperLegacy.getShipMiningStrength(MiningHelperLegacy.java:545)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.Nex_PrintMiningInfo.printMiningTools(Nex_PrintMiningInfo.java:203)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.Nex_PrintMiningInfo.execute(Nex_PrintMiningInfo.java:60)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.super.execute(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.rules.C.runScript(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.applyRule(FireBest.java:106)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.execute(FireBest.java:51)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.rulecmd.FireBest.fire(FireBest.java:57)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.fireBes t(RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:177)
   at com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.optionS elected(RuleBasedInteractionDialogPluginImpl.java:210)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.Stringsuper$1.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newui.OoOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.newnew.buttonPressed(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.?00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.I.processInput(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.ui.Stringsuper.super(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher.o00000(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
[close]

If someone can figure any sort of pointer (pun non-intended) towards what broke I'd be grateful.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4179 on: October 19, 2021, 06:07:07 PM »

Judging from the log, a ship variant somewhere in the game has a fighter wing that doesn't exist (note that neither the hull nor the wing need to be defined as mining-capable). Don't know which one (though it's not in vanilla or Underworld, since I just tested with those two).

Copy and paste this into console mod to find the offender:
Code: java
runcode for (String variantId : Global.getSettings().getAllVariantIds()) {
ShipVariantAPI variant = Global.getSettings().getVariant(variantId);
for (String wing : variant.getWings()) {
FighterWingSpecAPI wingSpec = Global.getSettings().getFighterWingSpec(wing);
if (wingSpec == null) {
Console.showMessage(String.format("Fighter wing %s on %s does not exist", wing, variantId));
}
}
}

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4180 on: October 20, 2021, 09:17:45 AM »

Judging from the log, a ship variant somewhere in the game has a fighter wing that doesn't exist (note that neither the hull nor the wing need to be defined as mining-capable). Don't know which one (though it's not in vanilla or Underworld, since I just tested with those two).

Copy and paste this into console mod to find the offender:
Code: java
stuff

That command was perfect, found the affected files instantly!  Is there a list/compendium of other useful troubleshooting commands like this one somewhere (couldn't find one in modding articles on Starsector wiki) ? This is a godsend.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

renegade_sock

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4181 on: October 21, 2021, 04:16:01 AM »

Hey does anybody know how economies work with AI factions?

Like if i give a dope ass planet to my allies, would they even benefit in any tangible way? Likewise, does a high hazard rating even matter for AI factions?

Cheers

Weftin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4182 on: October 21, 2021, 02:00:29 PM »

Like if i give a dope ass planet to my allies, would they even benefit in any tangible way? Likewise, does a high hazard rating even matter for AI factions?

Cheers

As far as I am aware very much so yes. Every planet requires and produces commodities, if the requirement for upkeep isn't met the colony suffers for it, AI or not. But since high hazard ratings only affect the credit upkeep I'm not certain how that affects an AI faction.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4183 on: October 21, 2021, 05:17:26 PM »

Availability of production resources in particular is absolutely relevant to AI players; it's why the Hege and the League are such gorillas, because they have so much heavy industry and each has access to a Pristine Nanoforge. Market size also helps.

It's why Hege invasion fleets are always enormous at first, while someone like Sindria or a number of more conservative mod factions struggle to put big invasions together.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4184 on: October 22, 2021, 06:53:05 AM »

That command was perfect, found the affected files instantly!  Is there a list/compendium of other useful troubleshooting commands like this one somewhere (couldn't find one in modding articles on Starsector wiki) ? This is a godsend.
Avanitia on the Discord server maintains a pastebin of a few console commands here.
I have some runcodes written down for my own use, though I often write new ones from scratch if I need to debug a new thing (for myself or someone else).

Production of ship parts, supplies, fuel and marines help NPC factions for generating some fleets in Nex (invasions in particular).
Also shortages on specific planets can cause local problems, usually a stability loss.
NPCs don't use credits though. (Maybe they should, for some purposes at least)
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 [279] 280 281 ... 396