Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 399

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3044797 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.2e "Mercenaries and Patriots" (fixes 2021-08-05)
« Reply #4110 on: August 28, 2021, 06:01:02 PM »

I also have some slightly critical feedback about the current version of Nex specifically; it's about that old bugbear, rebellions.

In a few of my recent runs, I've gotten invested in trying to make a rebellion succeed. These were both on fairly large planets (Sivie from Diable and Fuyutsuki from HMI, for the record) and while it started as just selling stuff for profit, I got interested in seeing a rebellion actually win and what it took for that. The Sivie one I just delivered a ton of supplies of all three kinds, and it never really managed to win and ended in a stalemate after the occupiers sent fleet after fleet to counter my efforts. With Fuyu I decided to see just how many fleets I needed to intercept in order to help the rebellion win, once it was at -5 and better supplied than the government.

Ultimately, I had to intercept six pacification fleets before the rebellion actually won. And five of them looked like this:

https://imgur.com/a/HRyJTsh

Basically 400-or-so CR fleets with 7-8 cap ships apiece. In the end, it was a larger force than invaded the planet in the first place. It would have been far easier to just invade the planet and give it back to HMI.

That... kind of doesn't feel satisfying, especially if you are "third partying" a rebellion and get at all invested in it. It seems basically impossible for a rebellion to succeed without fleet interception (short, I guess, of selling so many goods to the rebel market that it becomes heavily unprofitable to do so) and these fleets are ridiculous and losing them doesn't really seem to slow down a faction's industry otherwise. It does break immersion a little bit, I think, that a faction would go this far just for one planet that wasn't their own originally.

It's good that rebellions now have more gas in the tank and aren't trivial for an invader to get rid of, but they still feel like they can't really succeed without massive direct intervention on the player's part, and I'm not sure how I feel about that; currently, it's intervention to such a degree that just invading is easier and less resource-heavy.

Frustratingly, I don't think I can really offer solutions, either, just the feedback that the current system feels... off.

As always, I love and appreciate the mod, but this definitely left me feeling a bit dissatisfied.
Thanks for the feedback! I think I can make some tweaks, at least.

Quick check: Are you using the latest version of Nex? The suppression fleet scaling was changed in v0.10.2d; previously it got ridiculously huge on larger markets (doubling for each point of market size), but it might need further adjustments.

I've also doubled the average interval of suppression fleets in dev; the old value of 60 days seems too short now, particularly since rebellions last longer than they used to. (Note: the very first fleet for a rebellion event only takes 25-30% of the normal time)

Next major version, invasions will also be harder and more expensive (but having an ongoing rebellion makes it easier), so that's another consideration in terms of instigating rebellions vs. invading.

I have an idea; I love using derelict empire, but I havent experienced the new story because I have to use random sector to use derelict empire.
Thus my idea: a seperate custom scenario wherein the derelict (and possibly a quarter or sixth of them redacted) colonies ONLY spawn in the absolute fringes, with everything that goes along with that; there would be invasions going to and from the core worlds, and perhaps the colonies spawned by the ai factions would have special world bonus/detrimental affects a la being inhabited by automated systems (the derelict "colonies" do they have humans or is it all automated?  Are the facilities even designed for any direct human interaction?)
Hmm. The idea behind Derelict Empire is that the human factions initially have to expand by taking derelict worlds; if they're functionally just robo-Pirates+ that's arguably not interesting enough for me to want right now.

On having humans: The fact that human factions can use and produce from the derelict markets immediately after taking them sort of implies an already existing human population. But lorewise, there's no reason for humans to be there while it's under derelict control. So, uh, this is just a gameplay-ism.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4111 on: August 29, 2021, 05:56:06 AM »

the only reason i asked was because i thought story wouldnt work unless you were in corvus mode
turns out story works in random sector lol

now i have another question: if you have factions not present at start can respawn turned on does that mean faction mods added at a later date will spawn colonies?
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4112 on: August 29, 2021, 01:56:45 PM »

Quick check: Are you using the latest version of Nex? The suppression fleet scaling was changed in v0.10.2d; previously it got ridiculously huge on larger markets (doubling for each point of market size), but it might need further adjustments.

This was indeed on 10.2d. Now, granted, Sivie and Fuyutsuki are fairly big markets (both are 6+), but in 10.2d it still felt a bit silly.

Honestly, it sounds like just doubling the suppression fleet interval would help; the "six fleets" thing came from the sheer number of them that spawned, and if it's every four months instead of every two, that'd help and give the rebellion more chances to make a success check. (Intercept initial fleet + intercept response fleet = that's 240 days of uninterrupted rebellion time, baby!)

Also really interested to see those invasion changes; I know you've been looking at that for a while.

DrTechman42

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4113 on: August 31, 2021, 09:04:30 AM »

Hello, I'd like to report a bug with the [Redacted] contact. The dialogue that you get at "welcoming" stage. The "I beg your pardon" option does not go anywhere, you just press it a number of times and recieve no reaction from the game. The second option works just fine. I've looked through the log but it didn't show anything about the dialogue.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4114 on: August 31, 2021, 04:53:48 PM »

now i have another question: if you have factions not present at start can respawn turned on does that mean faction mods added at a later date will spawn colonies?
Respawn works through invading (or sometimes causing rebellion on) an existing colony; it won't make any colonies that don't already exist.

This was indeed on 10.2d. Now, granted, Sivie and Fuyutsuki are fairly big markets (both are 6+), but in 10.2d it still felt a bit silly.

Honestly, it sounds like just doubling the suppression fleet interval would help; the "six fleets" thing came from the sheer number of them that spawned, and if it's every four months instead of every two, that'd help and give the rebellion more chances to make a success check. (Intercept initial fleet + intercept response fleet = that's 240 days of uninterrupted rebellion time, baby!)

Also really interested to see those invasion changes; I know you've been looking at that for a while.
:thumbs up:

Hello, I'd like to report a bug with the [Redacted] contact. The dialogue that you get at "welcoming" stage. The "I beg your pardon" option does not go anywhere, you just press it a number of times and recieve no reaction from the game. The second option works just fine. I've looked through the log but it didn't show anything about the dialogue.
Yeah, noticed that yesterday! It's really odd since the rules entry involved looks like it really should work, but anyway I've changed it in dev so it does work.

Malorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4115 on: September 01, 2021, 08:53:50 AM »

Just wanted to say how much I enjoyed the recent changes. The polish and balance seems to have improved quite a bit.

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4116 on: September 04, 2021, 12:07:47 AM »

just a quick noob question. is it possible to start a Nexerelin game but with main tutorial and story missions?

Malorn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4117 on: September 04, 2021, 02:59:16 AM »

just a quick noob question. is it possible to start a Nexerelin game but with main tutorial and story missions?

Sure is, in fact it's the default.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4118 on: September 04, 2021, 06:25:01 AM »

Sure is, in fact it's the default.
Uh, no?
You can, but the default skips the tutorial entirely.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4119 on: September 04, 2021, 12:13:14 PM »

Got some questions about mining fleet generation.

From poking around files, I found out (if I'm not wrong) that AI mining fleets rely on "addMiningShipToFleet" for ensuring that mining ships are part of the composition and that the only one listed as such in "NexUtilsFleet" is the Sheperd's Frontier variant (with the option of adding a "miningVariantsOrWings" line to faction config files).

1. Is this the only way that "miner" ships are selected for mining fleets (meaning any "mining" ship that's not a Frontier Sheperd or something listed under "miningVariantsOrWings" in the given faction's config is actually just there as a random spawn) ?
2. If it's the only way, is there a way to list ship variants as miners game-wide (making them valid miners from any faction that has access to the hull/variant) or does "miningVariantsOrWings" have to be set for each faction?

Thank you in advance.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

SpaceDrake

• Admiral
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4120 on: September 04, 2021, 12:59:16 PM »

Go into "Custom Stars" and pick the Tutorial Start option. Be warned, starting at level 1 is a bit buggy due to how this start holds a skill point back (and this makes Nex freak out a little); start at level 2, and when the game tries to "level you up" to 2, you'll still have the right amount of skillpoints and still remain at level 2, and everything else will proceed normally.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4121 on: September 04, 2021, 06:44:34 PM »

Got some questions about mining fleet generation.

From poking around files, I found out (if I'm not wrong) that AI mining fleets rely on "addMiningShipToFleet" for ensuring that mining ships are part of the composition and that the only one listed as such in "NexUtilsFleet" is the Sheperd's Frontier variant (with the option of adding a "miningVariantsOrWings" line to faction config files).

1. Is this the only way that "miner" ships are selected for mining fleets (meaning any "mining" ship that's not a Frontier Sheperd or something listed under "miningVariantsOrWings" in the given faction's config is actually just there as a random spawn) ?
2. If it's the only way, is there a way to list ship variants as miners game-wide (making them valid miners from any faction that has access to the hull/variant) or does "miningVariantsOrWings" have to be set for each faction?

Thank you in advance.
Currently the only way to get a faction to use a specific mining ship is to add to its specific miningVariantsOrWings table, yeah.

I've considered switching to using entries in default_ship_roles.json before, but I'm not sure how to do this in a reverse-compatible way.
Maybe I'll make it use the miningVariantsOrWings lists by default, but a faction that doesn't have it uses the default ship roles file. Then modders can remove their miningVariantsOrWings over time.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4122 on: September 05, 2021, 01:40:38 AM »

Currently the only way to get a faction to use a specific mining ship is to add to its specific miningVariantsOrWings table, yeah.

I've considered switching to using entries in default_ship_roles.json before, but I'm not sure how to do this in a reverse-compatible way.
Maybe I'll make it use the miningVariantsOrWings lists by default, but a faction that doesn't have it uses the default ship roles file. Then modders can remove their miningVariantsOrWings over time.

Thank you for the fast answer. I think the current implementation is fine (it allows even more precise control than I used to think, which is great), but I wanted some info since I'm a noob at anything involving code lol.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4123 on: September 07, 2021, 02:38:42 AM »

bar : carefully approach the angry man/woman in the expensive suit
dialogue typo/error: look at $dcom_hisOrHer tripad
love the mod.
edit: woke up and realized this is likely just a quest that came with the new update. IDK.  :-[
« Last Edit: September 07, 2021, 08:42:34 PM by geminitiger »

geminitiger

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4124 on: September 08, 2021, 02:45:17 AM »

I'm guessing this is Nex code but I don't know for sure, regarding bonus admins for population size. To get past 6 admins you need a population of 80, but with 3+6 colonizes all size 6, that's a soft limit of only 54. I believe this was setup on the old system where planets could get past six, but now they can't so the requirements should be drastically reduced.
Pages: 1 ... 273 274 [275] 276 277 ... 399