Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013830 times)

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.2e "Mercenaries and Patriots" (fixes 2021-08-05)
« Reply #4095 on: August 12, 2021, 07:53:02 AM »

I don't know if it's due to poor RNG or something else, but the extra colony distributer seems to be extremely biased against the Sindrian Diktat. In all of my games using extra colonies, the Diktat has gotten a net zero of extra colonies. It contributes massively to their ultimate demise as the "first to go" in most Nex games, as while their already-strong rivals grow stronger on extra colonies, they stay weak which further tips the power scale against them.
The new game extra colony generation follows the same rules as regular colony expeditions, meaning only some factions can get them; Diktat can't send colony expeditions so no extra colonies. I'm not sure if this should be changed, Diktat's whole thing is kind of being a single fortress system.

I never even realized that Diktat can't colonize, probably because they never survive long enough to matter.
Their system really isn't much of a fortress though. The AI doesn't seem to have a problem taking it, unlike the home systems of mod factions like the Ninth Battlefleet and especially Legio Infernalis.

Is there a way to allow them to colonize but force them to focus on one or two nearby systems instead of spreading out to the edges of the sector like some other factions?

Most colonization efforts made after game starts seem to be centered in or near the Core Worlds, unlike spawn-gen colonies which can spawn up to 20+ ly away from the Core Worlds

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4096 on: August 12, 2021, 08:41:45 AM »

I don't know if it's due to poor RNG or something else, but the extra colony distributer seems to be extremely biased against the Sindrian Diktat. In all of my games using extra colonies, the Diktat has gotten a net zero of extra colonies. It contributes massively to their ultimate demise as the "first to go" in most Nex games, as while their already-strong rivals grow stronger on extra colonies, they stay weak which further tips the power scale against them.
The new game extra colony generation follows the same rules as regular colony expeditions, meaning only some factions can get them; Diktat can't send colony expeditions so no extra colonies. I'm not sure if this should be changed, Diktat's whole thing is kind of being a single fortress system.

I never even realized that Diktat can't colonize, probably because they never survive long enough to matter.
Their system really isn't much of a fortress though. The AI doesn't seem to have a problem taking it, unlike the home systems of mod factions like the Ninth Battlefleet and especially Legio Infernalis.

Is there a way to allow them to colonize but force them to focus on one or two nearby systems instead of spreading out to the edges of the sector like some other factions?

Most colonization efforts made after game starts seem to be centered in or near the Core Worlds, unlike spawn-gen colonies which can spawn up to 20+ ly away from the Core Worlds

I've seen a lot of spread, usually to high resource and hazard planets all over the place. In my current playthrough both the Luddic Church and Tri-Tachyon have settled worlds way out near the edge of the sector fairly early on.
That said, what I meant is having them pick a suitable close by system and then settling 3 worlds in it, even if they're not all great candidates, instead of colonizing a planet each in 3 different systems.

JUDGE! slowpersun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4097 on: August 12, 2021, 01:56:20 PM »

I've seen a lot of spread, usually to high resource and hazard planets all over the place. In my current playthrough both the Luddic Church and Tri-Tachyon have settled worlds way out near the edge of the sector fairly early on.
That said, what I meant is having them pick a suitable close by system and then settling 3 worlds in it, even if they're not all great candidates, instead of colonizing a planet each in 3 different systems.

My only issue with colonization is primarily the pre-colonization option when generating sectors.  Seems like every time you choose to allow pre-game colonization, this mod's colony "picker" always seem to generally target and choose available habitable planets (regardless of distance to core).  Which would make sense, except a good portion of these habitable planets are in beaconed systems, where one would have expected [REDACTED] to have either killed the colony fleet or just bombarded the colony into oblivion.  But since [REDACTED] can't or don't bombard/invade, instead there is this random cancer of humanity in a beaconed system.  Even weirder, sometimes the colony is a Hegemony colony, who you would think would be the most likely faction to avoid a system with a beacon.

I guess would be nice to exclude planets in beaconed systems from whatever list in generated to determine which planets can get pre-colonized by this mod... plus maybe like a gaussian curve to measure likelihood of colonization vs distance to core (so planets closer to core get some priority, IE get placed closer to the center of the bell curve).  Plus also the suggestion by the quoted post, so that there is some means of weighting colonization to more target planets in an already colonized system (or in a system chosen for pre-colonization) over some other random system.

Edit: forgot to reference DownTheDrain's quoted post and included suggestion.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 01:59:56 PM by slowpersun »
I wasn't always a Judge...

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4098 on: August 12, 2021, 04:25:43 PM »

My only issue with colonization is primarily the pre-colonization option when generating sectors.  Seems like every time you choose to allow pre-game colonization, this mod's colony "picker" always seem to generally target and choose available habitable planets (regardless of distance to core).  Which would make sense, except a good portion of these habitable planets are in beaconed systems, where one would have expected [REDACTED] to have either killed the colony fleet or just bombarded the colony into oblivion.  But since [REDACTED] can't or don't bombard/invade, instead there is this random cancer of humanity in a beaconed system.  Even weirder, sometimes the colony is a Hegemony colony, who you would think would be the most likely faction to avoid a system with a beacon.

I guess would be nice to exclude planets in beaconed systems from whatever list in generated to determine which planets can get pre-colonized by this mod... plus maybe like a gaussian curve to measure likelihood of colonization vs distance to core (so planets closer to core get some priority, IE get placed closer to the center of the bell curve).  Plus also the suggestion by the quoted post, so that there is some means of weighting colonization to more target planets in an already colonized system (or in a system chosen for pre-colonization) over some other random system.

Edit: forgot to reference DownTheDrain's quoted post and included suggestion.

Maybe they’re doing what we players do, making bait colonies to farm remnant and get free AI cores to dispose of  8)

dark lio

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4099 on: August 15, 2021, 02:17:06 PM »

Hello,
I have a problem. at one point I accepted a disruptive mission requiring a certain number of soldiers. And I wondered why not send that cool level 3 saboteur I just hired instead to this heavy protected military base. After a while, the saboteur successfully completes the mission and disrupts the objective for the necessary time. But, the mission is not considered accomplished. I still have to send ground troops to disrupt the objective. So is this a bug, did I miss anything, are saboteur useless or what are saboteurs really for?
thank
Yeah, saboteurs can't be used to complete the vanilla disruption missions; I can't fix this without replacing those missions' code. They're still useful for the things JAL28 describes though.

ok, thank,
i just reinstalled starsector which i had stopped last year and i'm just disappointed on this point. in the old version, we could use the agents to do paid sabotage missions so it seemed logical to me that we could use the substile way with saboteurs or the hard way with marines to carry out the sabotage missions.
But afterwards, I don't know if it was Nexerelin which offered this kind of mission or another mod which for the moment is not updated.
Thank you for the answer

WiC2021

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4100 on: August 15, 2021, 03:58:03 PM »

Hey Everyone, so i'm trying to do an 'Own Faction' run where everyone starts off even but i've noticed Diable Avionics always starts with four markets in three systems. I started a random sector with 8 habitable planets (1 for each faction) and Diable just rolled everyone. I've increased the number of inhabited planets/stations accordingly but my own faction just starts off with one market every time. Is there anyway to increase the number of starting systems your own faction starts with? Or is it always one?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4101 on: August 15, 2021, 08:33:31 PM »

Hey Everyone, so i'm trying to do an 'Own Faction' run where everyone starts off even but i've noticed Diable Avionics always starts with four markets in three systems. I started a random sector with 8 habitable planets (1 for each faction) and Diable just rolled everyone. I've increased the number of inhabited planets/stations accordingly but my own faction just starts off with one market every time. Is there anyway to increase the number of starting systems your own faction starts with? Or is it always one?
Some mods (Diable included) add their non-random star systems to a random sector as well, so they can get a pretty big size advantage as a result. I'm assuming next Diable update will fix this.

Own faction start gives player faction only one planet yeah, there's no way to change this and I don't intend to add a way to.

Don't know if I want to enable colonization for Diktat specifically, but colony expeditions can already have a range limit set in their faction configs.

Hmm, I'll need a more complex algorithm if it's going to pick targets by system instead of by individual planets. Would probably also make more sense for colonization to be a per-system affair more generally in that case (found seed colony on one planet in system, then that colony expands to other planets in system without need for fresh expeditions from the core worlds). I might try this at some point.

It already prefers closer systems, though the effect isn't very strong (a planet at zero range is weighted twice as much as one at maximum colony range). Also systems owned by the faction get twice the weight.
Though it's also already meant to avoid Remnant systems, and it apparently isn't doing that? I'll have to test.

Parcell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4102 on: August 22, 2021, 06:22:10 AM »

In my game, the Sindrian Diktat is still whole because I've been defending their system and retaking any planets they have lost. And it cost me more than 6 million credits just to protect their sovereignty. And now that they don't have my back anymore because my own faction is occupied dealing with other threats, It's only a matter of time before they are completely dominated. An alliance with the Hegemony might give them a chance though.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 05:17:47 PM by Parcell »

Mephansteras

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4103 on: August 23, 2021, 09:14:18 PM »

Is there a way to disable vengeance fleets? I don't really enjoy them, especially when I end up with multiple giant pirate fleets that could take on Hegemony and win just because I'm running around doing bounties.

Desregaurd

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4104 on: August 25, 2021, 03:20:53 AM »

I've been playing this mod for a while, and I've done some small modifications here and there to make the game harder but I'm struggling to figure out a way to get the hardest possible start in Nex as I can't seem to find the relevant files.

I'm basically trying to start the game with the Spacer scenario with no money or supplies and only fuel and with the max number of d-mods on the starting Shuttle while aligned with the Pirate faction with everyone else (including Luddic Path) as vengeful against me with no possibility of the other factions improving relations with me (save for Independents).

I've managed to get some combination of those with just a lot of console command fiddling and pretty simple ejection of the supplies at start and throwing money away by buying useless stuff and jettisoning it, but I can't quite get the very hard scenario that I laid out there.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4105 on: August 25, 2021, 05:59:17 PM »

Is there a way to disable vengeance fleets? I don't really enjoy them, especially when I end up with multiple giant pirate fleets that could take on Hegemony and win just because I'm running around doing bounties.
In exerelin_config.json, set enableRevengeFleets to 0. You could also tweak the other settings directly below it to make them less common or threatening, for instance.

I've been playing this mod for a while, and I've done some small modifications here and there to make the game harder but I'm struggling to figure out a way to get the hardest possible start in Nex as I can't seem to find the relevant files.

I'm basically trying to start the game with the Spacer scenario with no money or supplies and only fuel and with the max number of d-mods on the starting Shuttle while aligned with the Pirate faction with everyone else (including Luddic Path) as vengeful against me with no possibility of the other factions improving relations with me (save for Independents).

I've managed to get some combination of those with just a lot of console command fiddling and pretty simple ejection of the supplies at start and throwing money away by buying useless stuff and jettisoning it, but I can't quite get the very hard scenario that I laid out there.
Well the rules of the Spacer start itself are set in code, so it's pretty hard for a user to add/modify a script to handle those things.

Console's AddCredits command takes negative values to reduce player credits (and won't go below a credit balance of zero), so you could just run that at start.
For capping relations, you could try creating a maxRelations table in data/config/exerelinFactionConfig/player.json like so:

Code: json
    "maxRelationships":{ "default":-0.76, "pirates":1, "independent":1 },
(Note that you can't set starting relationships in the same way, since that setting is only used in random sector, have to do it the old-fashioned way with console. Also this will affect other savegames.)

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4106 on: August 25, 2021, 07:48:30 PM »

I also have some slightly critical feedback about the current version of Nex specifically; it's about that old bugbear, rebellions.

In a few of my recent runs, I've gotten invested in trying to make a rebellion succeed. These were both on fairly large planets (Sivie from Diable and Fuyutsuki from HMI, for the record) and while it started as just selling stuff for profit, I got interested in seeing a rebellion actually win and what it took for that. The Sivie one I just delivered a ton of supplies of all three kinds, and it never really managed to win and ended in a stalemate after the occupiers sent fleet after fleet to counter my efforts. With Fuyu I decided to see just how many fleets I needed to intercept in order to help the rebellion win, once it was at -5 and better supplied than the government.

Ultimately, I had to intercept six pacification fleets before the rebellion actually won. And five of them looked like this:

https://imgur.com/a/HRyJTsh

Basically 400-or-so CR fleets with 7-8 cap ships apiece. In the end, it was a larger force than invaded the planet in the first place. It would have been far easier to just invade the planet and give it back to HMI.

That... kind of doesn't feel satisfying, especially if you are "third partying" a rebellion and get at all invested in it. It seems basically impossible for a rebellion to succeed without fleet interception (short, I guess, of selling so many goods to the rebel market that it becomes heavily unprofitable to do so) and these fleets are ridiculous and losing them doesn't really seem to slow down a faction's industry otherwise. It does break immersion a little bit, I think, that a faction would go this far just for one planet that wasn't their own originally.

It's good that rebellions now have more gas in the tank and aren't trivial for an invader to get rid of, but they still feel like they can't really succeed without massive direct intervention on the player's part, and I'm not sure how I feel about that; currently, it's intervention to such a degree that just invading is easier and less resource-heavy.

Frustratingly, I don't think I can really offer solutions, either, just the feedback that the current system feels... off.

As always, I love and appreciate the mod, but this definitely left me feeling a bit dissatisfied.

Desregaurd

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4107 on: August 25, 2021, 11:41:20 PM »

Well the rules of the Spacer start itself are set in code, so it's pretty hard for a user to add/modify a script to handle those things.

Console's AddCredits command takes negative values to reduce player credits (and won't go below a credit balance of zero), so you could just run that at start.
For capping relations, you could try creating a maxRelations table in data/config/exerelinFactionConfig/player.json like so:

Code: json
    "maxRelationships":{ "default":-0.76, "pirates":1, "independent":1 },
(Note that you can't set starting relationships in the same way, since that setting is only used in random sector, have to do it the old-fashioned way with console. Also this will affect other savegames.)

Thanks, this actually gets me close enough to the desired start without needing to fiddle too much with starting console commands. The only commands I needed to do with this setup is the one to drain my cash and set pirates to non-hostile.

The thing about the inability to set starting relations is that it actually snaps to their value limits once you use the SetRelations command on any faction, so by setting pirates to neutral, it automatically snapped the rest of the faction relations to -76, so getting started was surprisingly quick.

JAL28

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4108 on: August 27, 2021, 10:52:00 PM »

I also have some slightly critical feedback about the current version of Nex specifically; it's about that old bugbear, rebellions.

In a few of my recent runs, I've gotten invested in trying to make a rebellion succeed. These were both on fairly large planets (Sivie from Diable and Fuyutsuki from HMI, for the record) and while it started as just selling stuff for profit, I got interested in seeing a rebellion actually win and what it took for that. The Sivie one I just delivered a ton of supplies of all three kinds, and it never really managed to win and ended in a stalemate after the occupiers sent fleet after fleet to counter my efforts. With Fuyu I decided to see just how many fleets I needed to intercept in order to help the rebellion win, once it was at -5 and better supplied than the government.

Ultimately, I had to intercept six pacification fleets before the rebellion actually won. And five of them looked like this:

https://imgur.com/a/HRyJTsh

Basically 400-or-so CR fleets with 7-8 cap ships apiece. In the end, it was a larger force than invaded the planet in the first place. It would have been far easier to just invade the planet and give it back to HMI.

That... kind of doesn't feel satisfying, especially if you are "third partying" a rebellion and get at all invested in it. It seems basically impossible for a rebellion to succeed without fleet interception (short, I guess, of selling so many goods to the rebel market that it becomes heavily unprofitable to do so) and these fleets are ridiculous and losing them doesn't really seem to slow down a faction's industry otherwise. It does break immersion a little bit, I think, that a faction would go this far just for one planet that wasn't their own originally.

It's good that rebellions now have more gas in the tank and aren't trivial for an invader to get rid of, but they still feel like they can't really succeed without massive direct intervention on the player's part, and I'm not sure how I feel about that; currently, it's intervention to such a degree that just invading is easier and less resource-heavy.

Frustratingly, I don't think I can really offer solutions, either, just the feedback that the current system feels... off.

As always, I love and appreciate the mod, but this definitely left me feeling a bit dissatisfied.

Ah yes, the old 6 cap suppression fleets, the bane of all rebellion conspirators

Seriously what the hell, why are you sending a fleet bigger than 90% of your task forces and/or invasion/raid forces to suppress a puny rebellion? It’s like these fleets were made specifically to spite players who try to help rebellions since they’re basically unbeatable without insane effort.

Anyways, rebellions are just backdrops for eventual invasions for me. They soften the target with the base -5 stability and/or disruption of industries that can help a lot if they down a military one, paving the way for an invasion fleet.

6chad.noirlee9

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4109 on: August 28, 2021, 06:24:23 AM »

I have an idea; I love using derelict empire, but I havent experienced the new story because I have to use random sector to use derelict empire.
Thus my idea: a seperate custom scenario wherein the derelict (and possibly a quarter or sixth of them redacted) colonies ONLY spawn in the absolute fringes, with everything that goes along with that; there would be invasions going to and from the core worlds, and perhaps the colonies spawned by the ai factions would have special world bonus/detrimental affects a la being inhabited by automated systems (the derelict "colonies" do they have humans or is it all automated?  Are the facilities even designed for any direct human interaction?)

Anyway, feel free to use or not use my ideas.
edit: edit: maybe were just falling with style LOL.  make a bubble, make the space in front of it smaller and just fall forward
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 [274] 275 276 ... 396