Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: Of Slipstreams and Sensor Ghosts (09/24/21)

Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 280

Author Topic: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.3c "SpaceLand Battle" (update 2021-09-18)  (Read 1781476 times)

SpaceDrake

• Lieutenant
  • Mio Harcourt: fixin' the Machine.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.2c "Mercenaries and Patriots" (fixes 2021-06-12)
« Reply #4065 on: July 28, 2021, 11:02:46 PM »

Any chance that Nex could add 3-way of 4-way battles in the future?

Not a chance in hell. That's what I was talking about earlier; there are scenarios where the real ideal would be a three-way fight, but the base engine itself does not support that and making Starsector support a feature of that scale is way more work than is reasonable to ask of Histidine. If Histidine wants to go for it, then super, but implementing battles beyond the two-side-with-allies version we have now would require huge rewrites to nearly every element of the combat code, including the AI.

Another amusing thing about Indies in game as they are that made me laugh... When you run across decivilized planets that hail you, there's a chance that they'll ask for the supplies they need to re-colonize their planet. What you do then, to this group of random individuals who have been eking out a living on a decivilized world for God knows how long, will affect Indies' opinion of you across the entire sector, or vice versa, even if they don't possess as much as a comm link.

Again, obviously just a limitation of their current implementation, but another detail that's a little funny, and a good example of why the current implementation is so flawed.

I mean, I can at least follow this one. They don't have hyperwave comms immediately, maybe, and it'll be a while before their ships get places, but sooner or later word will get around that you helped a new polity get off the ground, and you did it without conquering them or selling them out to one of the big factions. That'll mean a lot to indeps everywhere, and it makes sense that you get karma for that. It's just a bit cleaner to implement it immediately rather than on a delay.

ex_zou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4066 on: July 30, 2021, 03:31:33 AM »

Hey, completely inept person here, been looking through the mod config file (provided I found the right one) and I'm just wondering, how to I stop factions taking over one another's planets and stations? Because I've run three different games so far and before too long I have the Persean League taken over the entire sector. And after getting the same results for  third time I felt there was something unbalanced about it, dunno if they're stronger or just more aggressive than all others.

And while I don't mind the factions waging war against one another, I would like to either make their invasions weaker to make it harder for them to destroy one another completely or just turn territory conquest off completely.

Help much appreciated.

And again, I am very inept at this kind of stuff.

SpaceDrake

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4067 on: July 30, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »

In exerelin_config.json at the top of the Nexerelin folder, you're looking for the enableInvasions flag. By default that is set to true; edit the file so that it says false (the line should read "enableInvasions": true, ).

That said, invasions are a very big part of Nex, so disabling them disables a significant part of the mod's functionality. To address the other half of the question: in a game using only the vanilla factions, yes, the Hegemony and League are a good deal more powerful than everyone else and there's a good chance one or the other will win on their own if you don't intervene at all. Nexerelin is really meant to be played alongside multiple faction mods in order to flesh out the map and add more players to The Gameā„¢, so that conquest takes longer and the power balance is more complicated.

Take a browse through the mod index and see if any mod factions catch your eye!

ex_zou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4068 on: July 30, 2021, 07:42:47 PM »

No option to just make invasions weaker? I have looked through it and all I find with certainly is the time it takes for invasions to build up.
I will be looking through the faction mods as well though.

Sharp

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4069 on: July 31, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »

No option to just make invasions weaker? I have looked through it and all I find with certainly is the time it takes for invasions to build up.

So here are the relevant Nexerelin settings with some info. My comments in [here] though it's fairly self explanatory.

Code
    # if false, replaces NPC invasions (including revenge counter-invasion mechanic) with raids
    # for now, also prevents player invasions
    "enableInvasions": true, [if disabled no invasions, and can't invade as player either]
    "legacyInvasions": true, # old invasion system before v0.10.3 revamp (if I haven't released v0.10.3 yet, this is a beta feature) [10.3 not released yet, no need to touch this]
    "allowInvadeStoryCritical":false,    # block NPC invasions from targeting story-critical markets
    "allowPirateInvasions": true,
    "retakePirateMarkets": true, # allow factions to invade markets that pirates currently hold but didn't at start of game, even if allowPirateInvasions is false
    "fleetRequestCostPerFP": 400,  # used for player-requested fleets
    "fleetRequestCapMult":1,
    "fleetRequestIncrementMult":1,
    "invasionFleetSizeMult": 1, [this makes invasion fleets bigger or smaller depending on multiplier]
    "responseFleetSizeMult": 1, [this makes response/defending fleets bigger or smaller]
    "invasionGracePeriod": 90,  # factions won't accumulate invasion points for this many days at start
    "pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet": 27000,    # bigger = longer delay between invasion fleets
    # invasion points are added daily
    "baseInvasionPointsPerFaction": 30,
    "invasionPointsPerPlayerLevel": 1.5,
    "invasionPointEconomyMult": 0.5, # multiplier for invasion point gains from economic assets
    "creditLossOnColonyLossMult": 0.4,
    "allowNPCSatBomb": true, # NPC factions can launch saturation bombardment missions in place of some invasions, raids and vengeance fleets
    "allowRepeatBlueprintsFromRaid": false, # if false, each blueprint can only appear in raid loot once

SpaceDrake

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4070 on: July 31, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »

You can make invasion forces weaker by setting "invasionFleetSizeMult" to something like 0.5.

KMS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4071 on: August 01, 2021, 07:48:20 AM »

I'm not sure if I just missed it, but I haven't found a clear answer to this:

I know that, by default, colonies involved in story missions cannot be invaded by the Nexerelin AI. Once you complete the story quest, do the relevant colonies become available for AI invasions?

Troika

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4072 on: August 01, 2021, 01:33:48 PM »

Can gamestart options be added to the factions settings to allow Explorarium and [REDACTED] to spawn and otherwise act like Nex factions? I know the former is possible in Corvus mode but I'd like it in normal mode too.

SpaceDrake

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4073 on: August 01, 2021, 02:00:38 PM »

I'm not sure if I just missed it, but I haven't found a clear answer to this:

I know that, by default, colonies involved in story missions cannot be invaded by the Nexerelin AI. Once you complete the story quest, do the relevant colonies become available for AI invasions?

Yes. And it isn't just an update at the end of the main quest- colony flags will update dynamically when they are no longer story-relevant.

Can gamestart options be added to the factions settings to allow Explorarium and [REDACTED] to spawn and otherwise act like Nex factions? I know the former is possible in Corvus mode but I'd like it in normal mode too.

I suppose [REDACTED] could technically be made to act like a "normal" Nex faction...

Spoiler
But there's a very good reason why the Remnant is implemented differently and why you still track their rep when blowing them up. Consider stopping by Prism and checking your TriPad while getting a drink, sometime.
[close]

KMS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4074 on: August 01, 2021, 08:12:56 PM »

Yes. And it isn't just an update at the end of the main quest- colony flags will update dynamically when they are no longer story-relevant.

This is very good news, thank you. This mod keeps on impressing me.

Kiddin Me

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4075 on: August 02, 2021, 04:21:21 PM »

It isn't a critical issue, but there's some built-in supply and demand strangeness in the base game, insofar as the Luddic Path and several Pirate locations have permanent shortfalls of primarily supplies and fuel (which provides permanent, guaranteed profits), while the High Command at Sindria means that there's also a permanent supply shortage there, as well.

Are there any thoughts about mitigating these by e.g. adding a Gamma Core to Sindria and providing a Heavy Industries to one of the Luddic Path markets?
Yeah, might do stuff along those lines! (Not sure about heavy industry for Path, I'll probably instead try to make their accessibility not terrible so that they can actually import stuff they need)

Quote from: Unpublished Changelog
Add Waystations to both Luddic Path planets, gamma core to Sindria's High Command

One issue with this change: a Waystation adds supply and fuel demand, as well. This isn't a problem for Chalcedon, but it is a problem for Epiphany, and actually exacerbates their perpetual deficit problems.

I've done some tinkering and found that Chalcedon doesn't see a change in demand (due to already having a Military Base), but Epiphany does.

Maybe look at adding a faction-specific modifier for base game Pirate and Path markets which adds e.g. 20% accessibility? The (currently disabled in base game) Luddic Majority modifier confirms that this sort of faction-specific modifier is already supported. Something like:

Smuggling Network: Shunned by legitimate businesses and even law-abiding freelancers, commerce in $market is dominated by a motley collection of criminals, renegades, and 'legitimate businessmen.' Accessibility is improved if $market is controlled by Pirates or the Luddic Path.

This also helps avoid making them an unduly enticing target for invasion by the player by adding yet another building to a very poorly defended market.

Parcell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4076 on: August 02, 2021, 04:46:56 PM »

Do you guys and gals think it would be awesome if your own faction can deploy special task groups?

Fuzzatron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4077 on: August 02, 2021, 07:59:32 PM »

I just started a colony and then 2 days after I left the system it just switched over to another faction's control.  No invasion mission, nothing.  I jumped right back into the system and there was no fleet there or anything.  I used console commands to instantly teleport there and loaded older saves from the day and checked.  There's no reason, I just get an alert at the same time every time that my market is transferred to Legio Infernalis for no reason.

This is ridiculous design if it's not a bug.

They were sending a colony expedition there.  They sent that colony expedition 4 in-game days after I discovered it and before I sold the survey data anywhere.  This is also terrible design.  If the colony expedition conquered my colony that I founded first, that's garbage.

Finally, despite them some how conquering my sovereign territory, we're not at war.  Apparently, invasions are not hostile acts.

Seriously, WTF is going on in my game!?

I'm going to wipe them off the face of the sector incase the legio is the problem.  Will report back.

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4078 on: August 02, 2021, 08:32:29 PM »

They sent that colony expedition 4 in-game days after I discovered it and before I sold the survey data anywhere.  This is also terrible design. 

While everything else in your post sounds like a bug (or maybe an oversight) I strongly disagree with this point.
Factions regularly send out colony expeditions to places I haven't explored at all. It would be "terrible design" if the AI had to wait for you to sell survey data to colonize anywhere outside the core worlds.

enigma74

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4079 on: August 03, 2021, 05:43:36 PM »

Is there a configuration setting to edit the frequency of random diplomacy events (cooperation deal, cultural boom, etc) that affect faction relations? I definitely want them...but at a much slower pace so that the sector is "stagnant" for longer.
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 [272] 273 274 ... 280