Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013071 times)

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Nexerelin v0.10.2c "Mercenaries and Patriots" (fixes 2021-06-12)
« Reply #4050 on: July 27, 2021, 07:26:13 AM »

I don't have problems with opportunistic scavengers trying to muscle me out of debris fields, etc.; my issues are:

1. Killing them hurts my rep with the independents.  This is nonsensical.  The independents are, by definition, an unaffiliated, misc. category of peoples.  Why would they all care if I blow some random scavenger fleet?  Also, they were going to kill me for the scavenge too!  Why am I a bad guy for defending my own business and livelihood but when they do the same thing is "lawful."

Indies being mildly unhappy about you killing their buds is sensical, and it's only a reduced loss with no outright hostility. Just because their fellows are being a-holes in how they try to get their salvage doesn't mean they won't stick out for them, same as how people will help a friend in a fight outside a bar without thinking of whether their friend was in the right or the wrong. The writing also shows that many indies are one step removed from pirates and that they can have an "us VS them" mentality towards other groups.

Also, people act like it blocks them from salvaging their own battles, but you already salvage from your battle at the battle-end screen. The additional campaign debris is anyone's grab, same as how you can grab it from other factions' fights.

In general I understand the gameplay purpose of the vultures; they're there to make big fleet battles in which you are neutral less loot-pinata-y.

Besides making free easy loot less of a thing, it also creates emergent opportunities for battle which is good in a game focused on space combat. It also adds the crucially missing aspect of fighting over salvage and AI actually caring about salvage in the base game (vanilla only has this in some scripted events for missions) which contributes to making the game world alive.
You can still get plenty loot though, since scavs don't arrive immediately. You need to be quicker however, which sometimes leads to choices (beelining for a wreck that you really want restored for your fleet first over other wrecks even if they're closer).

I think that part of the frustration with these features comes from players being used to being able to do whatever they want to the AI unopposed. When the AI is no longer stupid and no longer bends over all the time, they feel threatened.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2021, 07:28:52 AM by Helldiver »
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

DownTheDrain

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4051 on: July 27, 2021, 10:07:57 AM »

I think that part of the frustration with these features comes from players being used to being able to do whatever they want to the AI unopposed. When the AI is no longer stupid and no longer bends over all the time, they feel threatened.

I'd argue that scavengers trying to claim debris from the fleet that literally blew all those ships up in the first place is pretty damn stupid.
Admittedly that's a special case, but it's clearly the AI trying to bend the player over here.

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4052 on: July 27, 2021, 10:20:58 PM »

Let no one else tell you vulture scavengers are bad they are a major part of immersion. And I'm happy I'm not the only one scavenging ***! It's a necessary evil for the player whether they like it or not.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

idiotekque

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4053 on: July 28, 2021, 12:27:45 PM »

1. Killing them hurts my rep with the independents.  This is nonsensical.  The independents are, by definition, an unaffiliated, misc. category of peoples.  Why would they all care if I blow some random scavenger fleet?  Also, they were going to kill me for the scavenge too!  Why am I a bad guy for defending my own business and livelihood but when they do the same thing is "lawful."

I think the issue here lies more with the base game than anything, in how it handles Indies and your rep with them. I feel like people (and the game itself) forget their lore blurb:

"Not a unified faction as such, the Independents are a loose category of polities and free agents unified more by a lack of association with a major faction than any shared qualities. Independent worlds and the spacers who call them home often share data, trade generously among themselves, and will readily cooperate to perform short-term security and military actions to better protect what freedom they have maintained by working together. Equally likely, trust can break down, and Independents will suspiciously deny each other favors, compete viciously, and turn a blind eye to the misfortune of neighbours."

So while they do hold those "loose" bonds, that doesn't mean that they should function as a hive mind that keeps track of every single thing that happens to every single random individual claiming to be "independent". They even outright work against each other, as per the lore, on many occasions.

But this feels more like a limitation of how reputation functions in game, more than anything. How it realistically should function, is that if you're doing a lot of black market trades on a certain indie station, picking off their salvagers in the system, etc, that base should develop a negative opinion of you. But if you're on the other side of the sector, fighting scavengers over a debris field that you created, defending that claim absolutely should not have any correlation to what indies elsewhere think of you, at all.

But again, that would require the rep system to function on a much more specific basis, sort of like how you have rep with officers you might run into. If something like that could be applied to individual stations/planets, and then the station/planet's rep then applied to their affiliated officers and fleets, Independents would feel much more immersive, and not like just any other faction in the game (which is exactly how they function, outside of immediately hostilities from identified combat).

The way I work with it is just using the console to relations to try to emulate that behavior, and then placing limitations upon myself at times in not being chummy with indie stations that realistically wouldn't like me. It isn't really a fix, but it's something.

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4054 on: July 28, 2021, 02:58:35 PM »

I feel the same way about Independents, but I'd say that's a base Starsector issue and not anything special with Nexerelin.

I put a suggestion (which probably won't be implemented), because Independents don't really make sense as being a group, and also not really interacting with the other big factions either.

It would be great to have truly Independent planets and groups so the Scavengers group could be *** off with your rightly, but the Smugglers, or Miners don't really care.

---

On a separate note I have a Nexerelin question. If I play as a pirate does my actions on killing merchant fleets have any effect on the big powers in their battle over the sector? Like if I lower the accessibility of Kazeron will that stop Persean League sending big invasion fleets to other factions? I know I can intervene more directly by stopping invasion fleets, or killing defending fleets but just wondering if killing traders or mining fleets has any actual benefit to me other than improving colony export rates (if I had a colony)?

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4055 on: July 28, 2021, 03:54:08 PM »

On a separate note I have a Nexerelin question. If I play as a pirate does my actions on killing merchant fleets have any effect on the big powers in their battle over the sector? Like if I lower the accessibility of Kazeron will that stop Persean League sending big invasion fleets to other factions? I know I can intervene more directly by stopping invasion fleets, or killing defending fleets but just wondering if killing traders or mining fleets has any actual benefit to me other than improving colony export rates (if I had a colony)?

In regards to invasion fleets it does to some extent. I asked for some information on what impacts factions in what ways some time ago so let me quote the mod author here:

Invasion spawning depends on the supply of ship parts, fuel, supplies, marines and heavy armaments [...] It checks all colonies the faction has daily
[...] A bunch of things are affected by stability, including invasion spawning

Outside of that, destroying merchant fleets can have the usual effects like weakening colony defenses through shortages of commodities consummed by defensive structures and loss of stability from shortages of basic commodities.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4056 on: July 28, 2021, 04:15:49 PM »

Sweet, thanks that is great to know! Appreciate the quick response and direct quote as well!

idiotekque

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4057 on: July 28, 2021, 07:36:20 PM »

Another amusing thing about Indies in game as they are that made me laugh... When you run across decivilized planets that hail you, there's a chance that they'll ask for the supplies they need to re-colonize their planet. What you do then, to this group of random individuals who have been eking out a living on a decivilized world for God knows how long, will affect Indies' opinion of you across the entire sector, or vice versa, even if they don't possess as much as a comm link.

Again, obviously just a limitation of their current implementation, but another detail that's a little funny, and a good example of why the current implementation is so flawed.

dEVoRaTriX_LuX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4058 on: July 28, 2021, 07:39:12 PM »

Any chance that Nex could add 3-way of 4-way battles in the future?

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Piloting space mecha for fun and profit(?)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4059 on: July 28, 2021, 11:02:46 PM »

Any chance that Nex could add 3-way of 4-way battles in the future?

Not a chance in hell. That's what I was talking about earlier; there are scenarios where the real ideal would be a three-way fight, but the base engine itself does not support that and making Starsector support a feature of that scale is way more work than is reasonable to ask of Histidine. If Histidine wants to go for it, then super, but implementing battles beyond the two-side-with-allies version we have now would require huge rewrites to nearly every element of the combat code, including the AI.

Another amusing thing about Indies in game as they are that made me laugh... When you run across decivilized planets that hail you, there's a chance that they'll ask for the supplies they need to re-colonize their planet. What you do then, to this group of random individuals who have been eking out a living on a decivilized world for God knows how long, will affect Indies' opinion of you across the entire sector, or vice versa, even if they don't possess as much as a comm link.

Again, obviously just a limitation of their current implementation, but another detail that's a little funny, and a good example of why the current implementation is so flawed.

I mean, I can at least follow this one. They don't have hyperwave comms immediately, maybe, and it'll be a while before their ships get places, but sooner or later word will get around that you helped a new polity get off the ground, and you did it without conquering them or selling them out to one of the big factions. That'll mean a lot to indeps everywhere, and it makes sense that you get karma for that. It's just a bit cleaner to implement it immediately rather than on a delay.

ex_zou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4060 on: July 30, 2021, 03:31:33 AM »

Hey, completely inept person here, been looking through the mod config file (provided I found the right one) and I'm just wondering, how to I stop factions taking over one another's planets and stations? Because I've run three different games so far and before too long I have the Persean League taken over the entire sector. And after getting the same results for  third time I felt there was something unbalanced about it, dunno if they're stronger or just more aggressive than all others.

And while I don't mind the factions waging war against one another, I would like to either make their invasions weaker to make it harder for them to destroy one another completely or just turn territory conquest off completely.

Help much appreciated.

And again, I am very inept at this kind of stuff.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4061 on: July 30, 2021, 06:34:07 PM »

In exerelin_config.json at the top of the Nexerelin folder, you're looking for the enableInvasions flag. By default that is set to true; edit the file so that it says false (the line should read "enableInvasions": true, ).

That said, invasions are a very big part of Nex, so disabling them disables a significant part of the mod's functionality. To address the other half of the question: in a game using only the vanilla factions, yes, the Hegemony and League are a good deal more powerful than everyone else and there's a good chance one or the other will win on their own if you don't intervene at all. Nexerelin is really meant to be played alongside multiple faction mods in order to flesh out the map and add more players to The Gameā„¢, so that conquest takes longer and the power balance is more complicated.

Take a browse through the mod index and see if any mod factions catch your eye!

ex_zou

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4062 on: July 30, 2021, 07:42:47 PM »

No option to just make invasions weaker? I have looked through it and all I find with certainly is the time it takes for invasions to build up.
I will be looking through the faction mods as well though.

Sharp

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4063 on: July 31, 2021, 01:52:41 PM »

No option to just make invasions weaker? I have looked through it and all I find with certainly is the time it takes for invasions to build up.

So here are the relevant Nexerelin settings with some info. My comments in [here] though it's fairly self explanatory.

Code
    # if false, replaces NPC invasions (including revenge counter-invasion mechanic) with raids
    # for now, also prevents player invasions
    "enableInvasions": true, [if disabled no invasions, and can't invade as player either]
    "legacyInvasions": true, # old invasion system before v0.10.3 revamp (if I haven't released v0.10.3 yet, this is a beta feature) [10.3 not released yet, no need to touch this]
    "allowInvadeStoryCritical":false,    # block NPC invasions from targeting story-critical markets
    "allowPirateInvasions": true,
    "retakePirateMarkets": true, # allow factions to invade markets that pirates currently hold but didn't at start of game, even if allowPirateInvasions is false
    "fleetRequestCostPerFP": 400,  # used for player-requested fleets
    "fleetRequestCapMult":1,
    "fleetRequestIncrementMult":1,
    "invasionFleetSizeMult": 1, [this makes invasion fleets bigger or smaller depending on multiplier]
    "responseFleetSizeMult": 1, [this makes response/defending fleets bigger or smaller]
    "invasionGracePeriod": 90,  # factions won't accumulate invasion points for this many days at start
    "pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet": 27000,    # bigger = longer delay between invasion fleets
    # invasion points are added daily
    "baseInvasionPointsPerFaction": 30,
    "invasionPointsPerPlayerLevel": 1.5,
    "invasionPointEconomyMult": 0.5, # multiplier for invasion point gains from economic assets
    "creditLossOnColonyLossMult": 0.4,
    "allowNPCSatBomb": true, # NPC factions can launch saturation bombardment missions in place of some invasions, raids and vengeance fleets
    "allowRepeatBlueprintsFromRaid": false, # if false, each blueprint can only appear in raid loot once

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4064 on: July 31, 2021, 09:03:28 PM »

You can make invasion forces weaker by setting "invasionFleetSizeMult" to something like 0.5.
Pages: 1 ... 269 270 [271] 272 273 ... 396