Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 398

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3042982 times)

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile

The current level of ease in conquest makes one wonder why the Sector, or at least the small indie worlds, aren't already completely controlled by the Hegemony or various warlords.

Hell even the bigger worlds! Once you've got just 3 Mudskippers' or one Nebula's worth of marines and a tanker you can just click>tac bomb>click>invade most planets in a row. At that point rebellions don't matter because the damage is already done (both damage in gameplay and damage to immersion).

btw excited to see what the GUI map for fleet request/operative mission orders is like.

That's why I think besides harder invasions, we need a lot stronger resistance to occupation. Many (most) strategy games make this mistake. IRL creating an empire is not just about conquest, it's about unification, pacification, etc...

If you only raise the required troop levels, the game would still be about map painting. Yes, you have to use more troops, but at this point, they are just a bigger one-time expanse...
However, if we add some kind of resistance mechanism that really controls your (and the AIs) expansion, that would fix the immersion-breaking, at least for me.
Without strong resistance, you could still blitzkrieg the Hegemony, only this time you would need like 20k marines (basically 6 starliners if you stockpile your troops at an independent planet in advance). I know that it SOUNDS expensive, but it's only 4 Onslaught XIV...
However, with stronger resistance, you could no longer rush, because no matter your initial reserves, the occupation costs would bankrupt you, resulting in a general uprising, and ultimately you are back to square one.

Flacman3000

• Commander
  • A man cannot put his shaft into the unknown.
    • View Profile

Quick question, sorry if it's been asked before.

How do I make it so when starting a colony on an uninhabited planet it goes to my starting faction instead of starting my own faction?

Go to comms and speak with any individual and click transfer market to another faction something like that.

Found that option, but it seems I can transfer it to any faction except the one I'm trying to give it to.

https://imgur.com/a/HTvR7LV

who are you trying to give it too? some factions do not have campaign layer integration Example: Cabal.
Ryzen 7 2700x, 1080ti, 16GB DDR4 RAM and playing SS on a SSD - Always stay ahead because when you're ahead you're rear anatomy is open to interpretation.

Floorc

• Ensign
    • View Profile

How do I make it so when starting a colony on an uninhabited planet it goes to my starting faction instead of starting my own faction?

Go to comms and speak with any individual and click transfer market to another faction something like that.

Found that option, but it seems I can transfer it to any faction except the one I'm trying to give it to.

who are you trying to give it too? some factions do not have campaign layer integration Example: Cabal.
Sorry for not making it clear lol, the Anarakis Reparations Society.
I'm guessing what you said applies to them though because I started a quick test campaign as the Luddic church, settled a colony and was able to hand it over to them and acquire governorship.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile

That's why I think besides harder invasions, we need a lot stronger resistance to occupation. Many (most) strategy games make this mistake. IRL creating an empire is not just about conquest, it's about unification, pacification, etc...

If you only raise the required troop levels, the game would still be about map painting. Yes, you have to use more troops, but at this point, they are just a bigger one-time expanse...
However, if we add some kind of resistance mechanism that really controls your (and the AIs) expansion, that would fix the immersion-breaking, at least for me.
Without strong resistance, you could still blitzkrieg the Hegemony, only this time you would need like 20k marines (basically 6 starliners if you stockpile your troops at an independent planet in advance). I know that it SOUNDS expensive, but it's only 4 Onslaught XIV...
However, with stronger resistance, you could no longer rush, because no matter your initial reserves, the occupation costs would bankrupt you, resulting in a general uprising, and ultimately you are back to square one.

I'm all for more difficulty in keeping control of an invaded world after the fact (definitely a big part of making conquest a real challenge and more believable) but I don't think that increasing the difficulty of the invasion itself should be disregarded. Even if an uprising is succesful and you lose control, you are not actually back to square one as you say - the colony is in a much worse state afterwards. If invasion itself is too easy, you can mess up worlds one after the other by invading them and letting the rebels regain control of the now ruined colony. It also affects believability as I mention in my previous post - that even if a big faction can retake control shortly after, that an upstart like the player can seize their big colony so easily in the first place.
I think that the 20k marines that you mention are still a big impovement of the few hundred currently required in terms of believability (and making early game invasion spam less easy) !

If I can give a suggestion, I also think that spamming marines should have more diminishing returns (or some other change) in increasing your ground power, so that other options (Ground Support ships, higher Marine experience levels, gradually weakening a colony, more Heavy Armaments proportional to Marines etc) should be more of a requirement to invade big worlds alongside having many Marines instead of just Marine numbers being enough.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Hague

• Ensign
    • View Profile

How about using the autonomy system from EU 4 to represent control. Make the value of autonomy start high, limiting how much benefit the player gets out of the colony and it slowly reduces as your faction gains control. The player should be forced to maintain not only marine complement on the planet but crew, as well, to represent the civil work force you'd need to have to change gov't apparatus to be amenable to you, at least enough "loyalists" to keep an eye on people you're hiring. Gotta remember that population of colonies scales by powers of ten a size 6 colony is over a million which you could capture with a decent host. A pop 9 colony hosts billions and would definitely need a massive ground force to seize total control and would almost certainly require collaborators on the ground to take control. Would get pretty unwieldy for the player to bring a million marines to capture the planet.

As for invasions, it seems like the the process should take some actual time outside just a few clicks in a menu. The player should be forced to linger in orbit a few days while the ground force combat stages happen. This should open the player up to attacks and potential harassment by a relief force. This would give the player a lot more time to respond to a invasion that occurs against them too.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile

I agree with everything you said.
I think raising the required amount of troops is necessary.
However, I also think, that raising the occupation cost is imperative, too.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

Sorry for not making it clear lol, the Anarakis Reparations Society.
I'm guessing what you said applies to them though because I started a quick test campaign as the Luddic church, settled a colony and was able to hand it over to them and acquire governorship.
Yeah, in non-random sector ARS is ineligible for colony transfers. If they somehow get a regular colony (through console or some other method), they'll abandon it within a few days.

Hague

• Ensign
    • View Profile

If autonomy is made scaling, maybe it would be possible to set it so the player can build things at a colony at a higher autonomy rates but cannot deconstruct anything until they have more control of the colony. This would prevent the looting. To effectively dismantle an entire industry on a world the player would need the support of the workers or at least enough of them.

envenger

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I would like to suggest something here, not sure if its the right place.

It feels incredibly easy to invade a planet once you have enough resources.
Not that we have the functionality of building connections with NPCs of the planet, why not sure that as a way of invasion?

If you have majority support of a planet's NPCs, you can take over the planet onces there are no defenders. Else it would be in a constant state of flux until the NPCs either support you or they leave the planet and one from your factions takes over it.

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile

When you gift a faction a colony, do they attempt to build industries in it?

I gifted a faction a colony but even after months passed they didn't attempt to build anything in it.

Cirevam

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Some do. It probably depends on various planet conditions. They'll even dismantle industries. As an example, I invaded Kazeron, put Orbital Works on it (or maybe it already had it), then gave it to the Indies since I wanted to chain raid their blueprints but needed a junk planet to do so. They immediately removed Orbital Works and started to put in a patrol HQ. The only structures on that planet were a megaport and the orbital works, so... why?

Warnoise

• Commander
    • View Profile

Some do. It probably depends on various planet conditions. They'll even dismantle industries. As an example, I invaded Kazeron, put Orbital Works on it (or maybe it already had it), then gave it to the Indies since I wanted to chain raid their blueprints but needed a junk planet to do so. They immediately removed Orbital Works and started to put in a patrol HQ. The only structures on that planet were a megaport and the orbital works, so... why?

I see. My situation is a little different. I established a colony then I just gave it to Hegemony

gui_stranger

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I was interested in your mod, but I have some doubts, first doubt I was reading on github that apparently the mod adds an end to the game or victory like this I write on github, if you add an end to the game, how can you disable it ?, second doubt what are the things that the mod adds and modifies in the game I want to know everything about the mod, answered that I will probably install the mod. translation by google translator

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile

I was interested in your mod, but I have some doubts, first doubt I was reading on github that apparently the mod adds an end to the game or victory like this I write on github, if you add an end to the game, how can you disable it ?, second doubt what are the things that the mod adds and modifies in the game I want to know everything about the mod, answered that I will probably install the mod. translation by google translator

It doesn't add an end to the game, what it adds is "victory screens" based on achieving big things but you can play as much as you want.

What the mod mainly does is make the world of the game alive by allowing dynamic interactions between factions. It also adds new gameplay features such as agents and new options for starting the game. It is compatible with almost every mod.

If you have not played Starsector before it can be good to play once without this mod.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile

When you gift a faction a colony, do they attempt to build industries in it?

I gifted a faction a colony but even after months passed they didn't attempt to build anything in it.
The "see if we should build things" check runs on market transfer/capture, and on the colony growing in size. NPC factions don't always use all their industry slots (same as how vanilla colonies don't always start with their industry slots filled).

As an example, I invaded Kazeron, put Orbital Works on it (or maybe it already had it), then gave it to the Indies since I wanted to chain raid their blueprints but needed a junk planet to do so. They immediately removed Orbital Works and started to put in a patrol HQ. The only structures on that planet were a megaport and the orbital works, so... why?
It removes heavy industry on insufficiently defended worlds (if it already has one elsewhere), precisely to avoid the thing you were trying to do with it :)

A partial feature list is available on the first post of this thread.

There's no way to disable the victory conditions, but you can continue playing after the victory screen no problem. There's also a 'ResetVictory' console command, although if you meet the requirements for the previous victory type it'll likely reappear shortly.
Pages: 1 ... 256 257 [258] 259 260 ... 398