Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013971 times)

akinata

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.7c "War and Peace Redux" (update 2020-10-10)
« Reply #3435 on: February 03, 2021, 07:56:24 AM »

i have found an easy way to abuse nexerelin to get easy money.
invasion, which are a really nice addition, permit the take over of any planet or starbase.
the problem isn't invasions itself but the abandoning feature.
it request money to do so you will never have to pay (bug?) and give you alot of money as a reward.

in my playthrough i was able to invade a crippled pirate starbase (no defending fleet left because of another faction attacking it, only 50 marines and 5 structures) with 100 fuel (for some bombardment) and 100 marines. which doesn't cost that much.
abandonning the starbase right away gave me 300K.

i didn't payed the requested 50K for population migration or whatever they wanted me to pay for and got enough money in one go to buy a good capital ship.
i guess something isn't worked as intended here.
this can be easily abused.
by far the most low risk high reward thing to do providing you are able to find many of those isolated planets and starbase for you to invade without much loss.

as for the vanishing population it would be great to have an escaping neutral transport fleet flying to the nearest colonized planet (controlled by either you or another faction) adding population but also decreasing stability. (to simulate war immigration).

EDIT: i tried to reproduce this but on a planet and got only some 10K after the 50k fee was deducted from the reward.
i guess i got very very lucky the first time.
still, i am sure i haven't payed any 50k fee when abandoning the space station (was Hades pirate station). i ll do other invading&abaondonning space stations  to reproduce the bug (if it was a bug to begin with) if i find some good targets, and update my post.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:10:30 AM by akinata »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3436 on: February 04, 2021, 12:07:21 AM »

i have found an easy way to abuse nexerelin to get easy money.
invasion, which are a really nice addition, permit the take over of any planet or starbase.
the problem isn't invasions itself but the abandoning feature.
it request money to do so you will never have to pay (bug?) and give you alot of money as a reward.

in my playthrough i was able to invade a crippled pirate starbase (no defending fleet left because of another faction attacking it, only 50 marines and 5 structures) with 100 fuel (for some bombardment) and 100 marines. which doesn't cost that much.
abandonning the starbase right away gave me 300K.

i didn't payed the requested 50K for population migration or whatever they wanted me to pay for and got enough money in one go to buy a good capital ship.
i guess something isn't worked as intended here.
this can be easily abused.
by far the most low risk high reward thing to do providing you are able to find many of those isolated planets and starbase for you to invade without much loss.

as for the vanishing population it would be great to have an escaping neutral transport fleet flying to the nearest colonized planet (controlled by either you or another faction) adding population but also decreasing stability. (to simulate war immigration).

EDIT: i tried to reproduce this but on a planet and got only some 10K after the 50k fee was deducted from the reward.
i guess i got very very lucky the first time.
still, i am sure i haven't payed any 50k fee when abandoning the space station (was Hades pirate station). i ll do other invading&abaondonning space stations  to reproduce the bug (if it was a bug to begin with) if i find some good targets, and update my post.
You don't actually need to abandon the colony, just sell all the industries (except spaceport) and give it to someone else. Or set it to autonomous, if the spaceport is currently down. (Not sure what's going on with the abandonment fee bug)

Can't do much about it currently, but when I update Nex for 0.95 it'll be harder to invade stuff at least. Still, there's probably going to always be squishy pirate markets that are easy to loot in this way.

There's an issue with sector wide bounties and hostilities.  If your faction or the faction you're commissioned with either has a -50 or close relationship with another faction, and that hostile faction has posted a sector wide bounty then fighting any battles with pirates, pathers, or any other faction that's hostile to the main hostile faction will immediately and unavoidably trigger a ceasefire with the hostile faction.  This can be especially annoying once you have an alliance going.
On one level that's sort of just how reputation works, and I don't think I want a hacky solution like "only this action doesn't allow rep going higher than -50 unless it's already above that level" even if it were readily available.
But it does indeed lead to some "unexpected" outcomes in gameplay, and can indeed be annoying with alliance interactions (in particular, while you can just restart the war any time, you can't guarantee that the same allies on each side will participate).

Someone has mentioned a similar issue in a Suggestions thread before, actually! I might post a thread about my own thoughts on the topic.

(In the meantime, cheap fix I thought of would be to just not issue faction bounties from hostile-to-player factions, though this would probably be annoying for players who are trying to not be hostile)

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3437 on: February 04, 2021, 02:50:27 AM »

I've been away for a long time and I don't remember much to be honest, but I have a hangkering for some space pew pew, so what better place than Starsector?

I remember I really like Nexerelin, but I have no idea what mods are compatible with it, specfically, faction mods.

Is there a list somewhere of compatible factions? the drop in the mods folder and they work kind of compatible.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3438 on: February 04, 2021, 03:11:38 AM »

I remember I really like Nexerelin, but I have no idea what mods are compatible with it, specfically, faction mods.

Is there a list somewhere of compatible factions? the drop in the mods folder and they work kind of compatible.

Don't know about a list but when you check faction mod threads, the opening post usually mentions if it's Nexerelin compatible near the top. Most major faction mods are Nexerelin friendly what with Nex being a must for any extended Starsector experience.
Afflictor bean plushie that glows purple when you squeeze it
30$

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3439 on: February 04, 2021, 03:18:46 AM »

Don't know about a list but when you check faction mod threads, the opening post usually mentions if it's Nexerelin compatible near the top. Most major faction mods are Nexerelin friendly what with Nex being a must for any extended Starsector experience.

So going by https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0 and basically downloading all of the factions mods would be a fairly safe bet? (assuming they themselves have been updated to 0.91)
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3440 on: February 04, 2021, 03:26:00 AM »

So going by https://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=177.0 and basically downloading all of the factions mods would be a fairly safe bet? (assuming they themselves have been updated to 0.91)

Yea. Just open their threads and ctrl+f "Nex" and see if the mod maker says anything special about Nexerelin compatibility. Also, while faction mods are usually Nex compatible, that doesn't mean that they're compatible with all other faction mods so be careful about having too many that might interact poorly with each other.
30$

Twilight Sentinel

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3441 on: February 04, 2021, 10:43:07 AM »

On one level that's sort of just how reputation works, and I don't think I want a hacky solution like "only this action doesn't allow rep going higher than -50 unless it's already above that level" even if it were readily available.
But it does indeed lead to some "unexpected" outcomes in gameplay, and can indeed be annoying with alliance interactions (in particular, while you can just restart the war any time, you can't guarantee that the same allies on each side will participate).

Someone has mentioned a similar issue in a Suggestions thread before, actually! I might post a thread about my own thoughts on the topic.

(In the meantime, cheap fix I thought of would be to just not issue faction bounties from hostile-to-player factions, though this would probably be annoying for players who are trying to not be hostile)
On the proposed fix, since this is mainly a problem with system and sector bounties, those can probably be what doesn't get given out.  If those are all cleared upon hostilities breaking out and no more are issued until hostilities cease, the player at least doesn't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to avoid accidental ceasefires.  The faction could still issue personal and station bounties, for players looking to get ceasefires.  Those generally don't disrupt normal play.

Arjan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3442 on: February 05, 2021, 01:46:44 PM »

Amazing Mod Histidine! Thanks for all the effort, it is amazing.

I would like to know where things are going and/or if there is something like a roadmap. I can image so many possibilities to deepen the 4X gameplay of Nexerelin.
Especially after watch this video, which I feel really holds some truth and explains why many 4X games feel generic and basically the same and how to spicen them up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Uk13mQdm0

I would love to see Faction Perks and Techtrees that can be researched (maybe implemented as "Upgrades" on Colony buildings like the Orbital station) and that effect Influence, Disposition, ShipTech, EconomyTech and so on
Well I bet you already have so much more thought in this, just throwing in my 5 cents... :)
Back to the question, is there something like a roadmap, planned features or direction in which Nexerelin will develop?

Keep up the good work! It's great!
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:48:16 PM by Arjan »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.8 "Job Specialization" (update 2021-02-06)
« Reply #3443 on: February 05, 2021, 10:01:20 PM »

Official version of the Discord beta release from last week. Could've snuck in a new feature or two first, but I want time to test them first.

Note for 0.9.7x users: This release is identical except for the name, if you don't want to download again you can just open Nexerelin/nexerelin.version and change the version number there.

Nexerelin v0.9.8
Download

Changelog
Spoiler
v0.9.8
### Gameplay ###
* Agent overhaul
    * Add specializations (some actions can only be carried out by some agent types)
        * Already-recruited agents in existing saves will have no specializations and can do any action
        * System can be disabled in config
    * Injury time 15 -> 20 days
    * Raise lower relations time 75 -> 90 days, XP 400 -> 500
    * Sabotage industry effect 90-105 -> 40-50 days, detection chance 40/65% -> 50/75%, injury chance 2x
    * Infiltrate cell and instigate rebellion injury chance 1.5x
    * Change AddAgent console command args
        * Previously: `AddAgent [level] [market]`
        * Now: `AddAgent <market> [level [specialization]]`
* Colony expedition target picker improvements
    * Always pick target with best score (with some randomization applied to scores), not just weigh it more
    * Fix factions not prioritizing recolonization of own decivilized planets
    * Strongly favor planets in star systems we control
* Invasion/alliance grace periods increased (the timeframes involved are actually relevant now)
    * Invasion grace period 15 days -> 90 days (no invasion points accumulated in this time)
    * Alliance grace period 60 days -> 120 days
* Invasion etc. improvements
    * Factions won't sat bomb a market if it was originally held by a faction they're not hostile to
    * Counter-invasion/satbomb fleets won't be generated by factions hostile to the faction involved in the most recent revenge point increment
    * NPC invasion targeting prioritizes heavy industry (especially heavy industry the faction used to hold) and contested systems
    * For 60 days after player captures a market, can buy governorship (regardless of size) at 50% discount
        * In the future this will be part of the dialog tree immediately after capture
    * NPC invasion point requirement 24000 -> 27000
    * Autonomous player colonies can (slowly) launch invasions/raids
* Add configuration system for own faction start in new game
    * On Day 1, pick some blueprints to start with, and add some industries or planetary conditions to your planet
    * Terraforming options may be added in future
* Nav buoy and sensor array benefit player with commission, and alliance members
    * Does not apply to existing buoys/arrays in existing saves, unless removed and rebuilt
* Add relief fleet option in fleet request menu
    * Similar to player personally delivering a stabilization package, but costs twice as much (based on commodity base price)
    * Generates a fleet similar to existing NPC relief fleets
* Add Unofficial New Game Plus rules "Fleet Diversity" and "Erinyes Protocol"
* Add a new deciv colony encounter event, for colony revival
* Revenge counter-invasions also cost invasion points, but half as much as the equivalent normal invasion
* Sat bomb fleets carry some fuel in cargo
* Reduce organics carried by VIC virus bomb fleets to 1/4 of previous
* New game: If starting location not specified, pick random own-faction market
* Enhanced start markets: Add alpha core to Culann's military base
* Tri-Tachyon has devious trait

### GUI ###
* Button to repeat previous agent action
    * Not all actions can be repeated; feature may be buggy

### Bugfixes ###
* Fix factions being able to ceasefire with factions that are currently invading them
* Fix vulture fleets not having a check/roll for whether a ship is recoverable
* Fix player being able to ally with self after capturing a market
* Fix VIC virus bomb icon, title handling

### Text ###
* Blueprint trader: Show design type along with blueprint description
* Special forces: Try to prevent duplicate fleet names
* Defense fleet action stage shows time remaining
* Fix a minor bug in displaying relationship change with raise/lower relations

### Modding ###
* Add `specialForcesFlagshipVariants` table to faction config
    * Specify variant name and weighting
    * If variants not specified, the mod will generate a sample fleet and use its flagship (previous behavior)
* Add memory key to identify markets as valid for base strike missions
* Make some fleet types not be affected by ClearCommands
[close]

I've been away for a long time and I don't remember much to be honest, but I have a hangkering for some space pew pew, so what better place than Starsector?

Welcome back!

I think that these days, any mod can be assumed to be compatible with Nex unless it says otherwise.
Exceptions are possible, e.g. IX Battlegroup in Arsenal Expansion doesn't take part in any Nex activity. But they still won't crash under normal circumstances.

Amazing Mod Histidine! Thanks for all the effort, it is amazing.

I would like to know where things are going and/or if there is something like a roadmap. I can image so many possibilities to deepen the 4X gameplay of Nexerelin.
Especially after watch this video, which I feel really holds some truth and explains why many 4X games feel generic and basically the same and how to spicen them up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R5Uk13mQdm0

I would love to see Faction Perks and Techtrees that can be researched (maybe implemented as "Upgrades" on Colony buildings like the Orbital station) and that effect Influence, Disposition, ShipTech, EconomyTech and so on
Well I bet you already have so much more thought in this, just throwing in my 5 cents... :)
Back to the question, is there something like a roadmap, planned features or direction in which Nexerelin will develop?

Keep up the good work! It's great!
:thumbs up:

My current major goals for the mod (although they're quite far off, I don't plan to even start work on them until Starsector 0.95) are: an endgame crisis event, and a new, more difficult invasion system. Long term goal is a proper diplomacy system, although unlike the first two goals I don't yet have a firm idea of what this would entail.
I don't currently have any plans for a tech tree, or (another 4X feature I've had thoughts about) faction social engineering.

(Alex has stated he doesn't want Starsector to become a 4X, and while my mod is considerably more willing to go in that direction I'm not — currently — doing things that are too detached from the fleet layer, y'know?)

Thanks for the vid recommendation, I hope to watch it soon :D

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3444 on: February 06, 2021, 06:25:17 AM »

When this game drop on Steam somebody will turn it into a dating visual novel  :))

And maybe wilth larger community, many will help you improve the 4X element or make some forked version of it with more content. I hope you don't have to do it alone and get more support when the Steam version comes out. Thanks for the update  ;D
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

Helldiver

• Captain
  • space fruit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3445 on: February 06, 2021, 01:59:55 PM »

The best mod gets better. Love to see the change to buoys and arrays talked about recently.
30$

deaxsa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3446 on: February 07, 2021, 08:35:23 AM »

One thing that strikes me as interesting while I'm playing starsector with nex is the RP aspect of it. Like you said, you haven't stepped too far away from the fleet mechanics, because that is the core gameplay. However, in many ways, starsector is also a text-based roleplaying adventure game (which apparently we'll be seeing more of in the next update) and as such, you are ONE person. No matter what you tell yourself is actually happening when you set up a new faction, you're basically a dictator. You enforce strict policies which decide what is or is not built on your colonies and those decrees are enforced. Not only this, but unlike other 4X games where you sometimes feel like even though I'm technically an immortal Xerxes or Napoleon or the hand of god influencing the Bug Hive mind, in Starsector, you are explicitly one human (or Ai core, depending on your portrait). When you start the game, you type in your name and choose your appearance. You're one person and there's no changing that. So whatever direction this mod goes, the more it leans into that fact, the better it'll be.

What follows is speculation and wishful thinking of a type of game I would enjoy, purely an example of a design direction that I think would work, not a suggestion.

To take agents, for example. What if the player could bring an agent along with the fleet to ease restrictions into and out of certain ports or factions (like some sort of abstract version of an Inara character), especially if there was more dialogue/rules involved with docking and mining and transportation and contraband and so on. This would be especially interesting if administration/colonizing was much slower/more expensive so that only extremely rich and well connected (read: friendly with powerful factions) commanders could pull it off. In other words, turning colonization itself into the lategame goal (by making it much much harder) and turning the acquisition of a powerful fleet/influence into the main midgame goal. Maybe you settle some tiny mining colony on some moon or re-populate some lost astropolis into a freeport (just not freeport 7 lol rip) before acquiring an actual full-fledged colony. There would be a lot of features and tweaking that would help flesh this out, such as growth rates based on immigration, immigration being tracked, a more robust economy system, a much more robust reputation system (with differences between Faction reputation (how much they like you), Faction standing (current official political climate), market reputation (the Jangala officials are going to hate you if you sell tons of opium there, even if hegemony likes you), and many more.

Obviously this fantasy of where starsector, nex (and I guess maybe terraforming) go in the future is just that, a fantasy. But rest assured that the more the core gameplay loops (system exploration and fleet-based combat) are leaned into and supported, the better this experience will be. Also rest assured that I have the highest hopes for this mod and this game. It's pretty great and you should feel great about it.

P.S. there's also trading and mining, I guess, but those barely register when compared to exploration and combat. Mining in particular seems very off right now, very much not the point of this game. (unlike in games like freelancer where it was a (sometimes) boring, if extremely profitable way to play. I still remember mining diamonds on the edge of an uncivilized system, dodging red hessian patrols and wishing I was in Kusari space with its beautiful vistas, but that was so far, and I needed to make a buck.)

edit: can an agent have multiple tags?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 08:49:03 AM by deaxsa »

megabot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3447 on: February 07, 2021, 02:00:00 PM »

so umm, i know I'm jsut a person but may i ask a certain something for the possilby made terraforming? could you make it like, upkeep based? what i mean is terraforming and station construction as an example basically does it in a way that you terraform once, paying a massive cost in terms of terraforming points(time and money basically) and then can just remove everything, and it stays that way. but that is in no way how it would work realistically(idk if that is a liked word here or not) where you would basically need to constantly upkeep the solar shades, atmospheric generators etc. to make it liveable. i also assume that people would try to disrupt it and that that would have massive consequences because you are not sealing every building on the planet, so luddic path may be more dangerous(if you are planning on doing that btw), and you as a player might want to do it too. something like clearing out sulfur compounds however might be permanent, if there is no new pollution generating industry on the planet. so umm, that is just my tale on it, if i can add something to the developement, i guess

Kakroom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3448 on: February 07, 2021, 06:59:17 PM »

One thing that strikes me as interesting while I'm playing starsector with nex is the RP aspect of it. Like you said, you haven't stepped too far away from the fleet mechanics, because that is the core gameplay. However, in many ways, starsector is also a text-based roleplaying adventure game (which apparently we'll be seeing more of in the next update) and as such, you are ONE person. No matter what you tell yourself is actually happening when you set up a new faction, you're basically a dictator. You enforce strict policies which decide what is or is not built on your colonies and those decrees are enforced. Not only this, but unlike other 4X games where you sometimes feel like even though I'm technically an immortal Xerxes or Napoleon or the hand of god influencing the Bug Hive mind, in Starsector, you are explicitly one human (or Ai core, depending on your portrait). When you start the game, you type in your name and choose your appearance. You're one person and there's no changing that. So whatever direction this mod goes, the more it leans into that fact, the better it'll be.

What you're describing is an RPG4x game.

That's my name for it. I don't know if there's a more widely accepted title for the genre it is, which is what it is.

Basically in an RPG4x game the draw is that the world around you is being simulated like a classic strategy game like Civ, or Stellaris or Hearts of Iron or whatever but that is not, primarily, your focus. You might be able to engage with it at some point but it is your choice whether or not you want todo so.

This is what people mean when they say, "It's mount and blade in space," or, "It's Mount and Blade but in real with modern guns." It's like when FPSes were still called Doom Clones. You're one person in a real, big world that's actually happening, that you can faff about in various ways.

This isn't a genre theory thread, so, I'll leave it there. But I would like to note that Nexerelin is so great, for me, because it expands the simulation part and makes the world just that much more... genuine, makes your actions that much more valid in the wider, game ecosystem or whatever.

So thanks Hstidine! Your mod makes Starsector into my favorite type of game, the game i want it to play it as

Great Leader

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3449 on: February 07, 2021, 09:47:46 PM »

Hi

Is there a way to do special request (like requesting a fleet) while traveling, or do I HAVE to stop by a colony or station?

Also, I was in a bit of a predicament, where a faction had colonized a planet I was eyeing for a while. I spent over a million credits to request a powerful invasion fleet. At the time I was commissioned by Hegemony and they suddenly signed a peace with that faction and my fleet request was scrapped immediately. I did not get the money back. It would be nice if I received a refund for a task that wasn't completed and considered invalid.
Pages: 1 ... 228 229 [230] 231 232 ... 396