Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013065 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.7c "War and Peace Redux" (update 2020-10-10)
« Reply #3345 on: October 29, 2020, 09:54:12 PM »

1) This. I've come two planets away from purchasing Governorship of all my commissioned faction's planets and I would love for the Governorship options to not have a size limit. Requiring cooperative status and a very high mark-up for planets bigger than size 4 would more than balance it.

2) I've got 6 HMI planets under my (and my administrators') governance and an AI inspection was never sent to them. Only the usual busywork of raids, invasions and saturation bombardments.
See post above yours :)

Edit: speaking of AI inspections, wouldn't it be nice if Nex made the Hegemony not only inspect your factions but the other ones too, namely Tri-Tachyon? Has anyone else ever suggested this before?
I could implement something like that in the future, yeah. Need to think over details like "does the target faction pay bribes, and if so, when?" and "if the faction resists, is the inspection likely to actually succeed?"

Edit 2: one last thing. I remember having a Hegemony raid succeed on my home planet and requisition some 10 AI cores. I managed to catch the two inspection fleets going back to their base, defeated them both making sure not ONE ship escaped but said cores were never to be found again. Could it be possible for Nex to actually have the requisitioned AI cores remain on the inspection fleet until they dock into their origin planet and NOT magically disappear the moment they're taken away?
Maybe in the future. Assuming the cores are not destroyed on the spot by inspectors anyway...

Is it possible to turn off the insurance thing? It completely ruins the mod for me. Very easy to get very rich very fast with little work not very fun.
playerInsuranceMult in exerelin_config.json

Although I'm not sure how the player is getting rich, since they're only getting paid for losing or devaluing ships, which have a greater cost to replace/restore than what is paid. It's still a net loss.
Are people committing insurance fraud, to extract more value from random recovered ships than is possible by breaking up or selling them? I hadn't felt the need to fix this before, but if it's widespread I may do something about it.

Observing some strange behaviour that I don't think is intended. I captured Mairaath from the Persean League a while ago and gave it to my commissioned faction, the Pirates. The Luddic Church later invaded and captured it, but I supplied the resulting rebellion with enough marines and guns to retake the planet before the first suppression fleet could even arrive.

Problem is that every time the game processes that the planet was "captured" a random faction decides to invade another Pirate planet that I captured from another faction earlier. Even when the response makes no logical sense whatsoever, like a completely unrelated faction deciding that a completely different planet that once belonged to another unrelated faction must be invaded. Or in one particularly strange instance, the Tri-Tachyon decided to launch a sat bombardment fleet against Olinadu "as an act of vengeance in response to the vile hostile actions of the hated [my character]".

Supporting an anti-Luddic Church rebellion on a planet they took from my commissioned faction that I captured from the Persean League earlier and gifted to the Pirates = vile hostile actions that the Tri-Tachyon, long-time enemies of the Luddic Church and neutral faction to the Persean League, must respond to with saturation bombarding a former Persean League planet currently occupied by pirates? What ???? Am I missing a few pages from the Persean rules of engagement? I do not comprehend how this is supposed to make sense, logically or in terms of coding. Something seems broken here...
It's following very simple rules right now: Pirates take market, other faction launches counterattack against any pirate-held market, which doesn't necessarily need to be against the market most recently flipped. Pretty straightforward even if the results don't always make sense.
(Yeah, the revenge mechanic is pretty gamey in general)

Sat bombing formerly-held-by-third-parties planets does look pretty awkward in general, so I may add a relationship check against the original owner. For the other part, when the revenge handler picks a faction to launch the counter-invasion/sat bomb, I could also exclude factions hostile to both player and whoever the player last attacked.

Hello,

I'm making this post because I have an issue with the mod balance that I would like to figure out.

Right now I'm using the mod with a lot of other mods, so those obviously affect the balance. In particular I am using the Terraforming and Station Construction mod - which obviously makes forming your own colonies easier (especially when I can get AI cores more easily eventually via my own production).

Yet in my current game, my issue is: the AI factions do not found new colonies nearly often enough.

I am 4-5 years into my game, and am the largest faction in the game, with a total size of about 100 in my colonies. All of which I founded on my own (about 16-20 colonies in total). Most of them run with an Alpha Core, and despite the Hegemony sending occasional AI inspections it is trivial to bribe them (or I could trivially defeat their forces, but that's a combat balance thing).

In that time, the AI have formed a grand total of around 6-8 new colonies, with only 3 of the factions bothering to do so. So every single AI faction "put together" founds about 1-2 colonies "per year," which is an enormous amount of time given how easily you can farm money with bounties or other things and form your own colonies.

Effectively: does anyone know how I could fix this, and what options I should tweak if so? I want the AI to actually expand their empires among the stars (I have a larger size for my galaxy as well), so they can provide a credible threat to me for longer rather than being trivialized the moment I am able to hold onto a handful of colonies.

I think there also needs to be some limitation on using Alpha Cores to run your empire far past the normal size limitations, or else the AI needs to actually be able to pose a credible threat to you if you start doing that, but that's another matter which would probably require other balancing fixes.

Right now the fact that the AI seems to barely found new colonies, and also barely seems to go after your colonies with any actually dangerous forces, seems to make the game trivial once you are able to actually build your own stuff. Seems to me that moving into the 4x aspect and forming your own colonies should expose you to much greater risks, but I'm not seeing them.
Hello!

Best I can suggest right now:
- Lower the colony expedition cooldown (colonyExpeditionInterval in exerelin_config.json)
- Don't use alpha core admins; I expect Alex will eventually add consequences for them, but they're not in now
- Use Starfarer mode, which slows player colony growth

(The NPC colony expedition interval is currently fairly long so NPC factions don't grow like weeds all over the place and become annoying to put down, but I'm open to reducing it, even by large amounts)

Echonian

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: October 29, 2020, 10:17:55 PM »

Best I can suggest right now:
- Lower the colony expedition cooldown (colonyExpeditionInterval in exerelin_config.json)
- Don't use alpha core admins; I expect Alex will eventually add consequences for them, but they're not in now
- Use Starfarer mode, which slows player colony growth

(The NPC colony expedition interval is currently fairly long so NPC factions don't grow like weeds all over the place and become annoying to put down, but I'm open to reducing it, even by large amounts)

Avoiding the use of Alpha Core admins would be a fix I suppose, but am I correct in assuming the NPC factions do not suffer from the same penalties as a player does regarding colony limitations? The stability penalty from having more than a handful of colonies without having the Alpha AI Cores would make it impossible to form a reasonable set of colonies, I think.

Slowing player colony growth would be a good idea. Though I didn't personally feel that my colonies expanded too quickly - it was the lack of AI expansion and sheer number of colonies I could run that caused the main issues. So a combination of issues, but I'll consider that.

I'll take a look at the colony expedition cooldown as well.

My hope is to get to a point with the mods I use and the balance where I can do a play-through eventually where the AI is able to actually pose a credible threat in the late game, without that threat making them absolutely destroy you earlier on. But I'll have to consider more of what I have considered as the problem, and then probably will end up tweaking a lot of mod settings in advance.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
  • Arguably Heretical, Definetly Insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: October 30, 2020, 05:44:05 AM »

1) This. I've come two planets away from purchasing Governorship of all my commissioned faction's planets and I would love for the Governorship options to not have a size limit. Requiring cooperative status and a very high mark-up for planets bigger than size 4 would more than balance it.

2) I've got 6 HMI planets under my (and my administrators') governance and an AI inspection was never sent to them. Only the usual busywork of raids, invasions and saturation bombardments.
See post above yours :)

Edit: speaking of AI inspections, wouldn't it be nice if Nex made the Hegemony not only inspect your factions but the other ones too, namely Tri-Tachyon? Has anyone else ever suggested this before?
I could implement something like that in the future, yeah. Need to think over details like "does the target faction pay bribes, and if so, when?" and "if the faction resists, is the inspection likely to actually succeed?"

Edit 2: one last thing. I remember having a Hegemony raid succeed on my home planet and requisition some 10 AI cores. I managed to catch the two inspection fleets going back to their base, defeated them both making sure not ONE ship escaped but said cores were never to be found again. Could it be possible for Nex to actually have the requisitioned AI cores remain on the inspection fleet until they dock into their origin planet and NOT magically disappear the moment they're taken away?
Maybe in the future. Assuming the cores are not destroyed on the spot by inspectors anyway...

Oh,just saw the reply above. Thanks :)

Other compatible factions getting AI inspections would be really nice, especially because you could use it as a stepping stone for new missions. Example: Tri-tachyon offering a mission for a "third party" defending their AI-FreeTM planet alongside their station, with even bigger mark-ups if you defeat the Inspection force before they get to the planet, before they enter the same system or, god forbid, if their assembling location gets a very unfortunate and totally unexpected raid juuuuust before they depart.

As for the Hegemony, I don't think they destroy the cores on the spot. Luddic Church/Pathers definetly do but I'm pretty sure those hat fetishists would probably lock them up somewhere for anyone but them to use, like a "vault planet" of some sort.

On a side note, I'm getting a crash just before a Saturation Bombardment force enters my system. How do I access the crash code for me to show you?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 09:14:53 AM by Arcagnello »
Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.
The therapist removed my F5 key.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3348 on: October 31, 2020, 06:31:01 AM »

On a side note, I'm getting a crash just before a Saturation Bombardment force enters my system. How do I access the crash code for me to show you?
starsector-core/starsector.log (if file extensions are hidden, the file will just look like "starsector")
Open with Notepad++ or similar (plain Notepad works but ugh) immediately after getting the crash, and scroll to the end for the error message.

TerranEmpire

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: October 31, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »

@Histidine

First of all, I would like to express my gratitude for your work. This is a truly awesome mod.

However, during the course of my numerous playthroughs, I had realized the game misses one mechanic, that I think absolutely necessary for 4X games.
I think the game needs some kind of vassalisation mechanic.

I think currently the autonomous colonies are next to useless. They generate next to nothing and they are defenseless without player protection. They can't improve themselves without player intervention. Usually, I think it's more useful to give them away if you are over the admin cap.

But what about adding a new option? What if when we establish a new colony we could create a vassal faction?
This faction, while subservient to us could improve its planets, add new buildings, etc.
Every time we create, purchase, give away, or conquer a new market, we could give it to our vassal.
This would be a nice addition because this way our vassal would have the power of several markets, could improve itself, and could defend itself or help the player in wars.

I know it's a lot of work, but this would make much more sense compared to the autonomous markets, who are powerless, requiring constant babysitting and player intervention, and so on. I know that these vassal markets might be suboptimal when it comes to building new industries etc, but I think it's not really a big deal since autonomous markets are next to irrelevant revenue-wise.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: October 31, 2020, 02:49:25 PM »

• Is it possible to modify the size cap at which you can purchase governorship of planets? I checked, but didn't see an option for it in the configs, and being limited to size 4 means most planets will continue to collect dust in the hands of the AI. And it also puts me on a timer to grab what I can before size 4 colonies grow to size 5.
  • If you purchase governorship of a planet with Free Port, will the Hegemony/Luddic Church send expeditions as if it's a player colony, or will they only send invasion fleets/etc. as normal?

To work around this use console command and turn the planet to size 1, 2 , or 3 then buy it and resize it to original size :DD
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

AcaMetis

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: November 01, 2020, 07:15:30 AM »

Minor bug: Tri-Tachyon send a relief fleet to a planet they just colonized, despite (I'm assuming?) that planet having low stability due to being recently settled, not because it actually had any unrest. When the relief fleet arrived I got a message that the fleet delivered aid and reduced the unrest on that planet by 0.

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: November 01, 2020, 08:37:23 AM »

starsector-core/starsector.log (if file extensions are hidden, the file will just look like "starsector")
Open with Notepad++ or similar (plain Notepad works but ugh) immediately after getting the crash, and scroll to the end for the error message.

I tried replicating the crash but it actually did not happen (sorry for the late reply by the way, you're always so helpful I actually felt bad not being able to reply to you for this long xD) but I'll make sure to send you the crash report next time something I think is involved with nex happens!

Edit: It's possible the last sentence before this edit actually summoned a crash because I just got one, no clue if it's related to Nex (asking for forgiveness in advance if it's not).

Code
7102971 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.A.new.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.P.super(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOo.addIconFor(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.ui.oOOo.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$9.public.float(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.ui.impl.StandardTooltipV2$9.beforeShown(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.C.o00000(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:57:22 AM by Arcagnello »

KMS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:24 AM »

Hi gang,

When I did my first Nexerelin playthrough, I remember finding some section of the UI that told me how many markets each faction had. Now that I'm playing the game again, I've been looking for a long time, and I cannot find this information anymore. I can only check how many markets a faction has if they're in an alliance. I've looked in intel, inside the colony, diplomatic profile, and trade menus, but I cannot find any sign of it. I feel like I'm going insane. Did this feature ever exist, and if so, where is it?

Brilliant mod by the way, I love how configurable it is.

Chairman Suryasari

• Captain
  • The Deployer of John Lennon's.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: November 04, 2020, 08:14:55 AM »

It's either Z, X, C, or V i forget, then check market option.
"Kids under 13 shouldn't have access to the internet. if 10yo me were on tumblr and read about suicide and depression 5 hours a day, every day, god knows i would jump off a bridge if my parents ever yell at me."

-Some random Youtube comment on video about Sonic OC.

KMS

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: November 04, 2020, 08:45:04 AM »

It's either Z, X, C, or V i forget, then check market option.

Ah, there it is, it's on Z. Thanks for such a quick reply!

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: November 10, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »

I apologize if this has been asked/covered before, but 225 pages is a lot to read through and my searches did not pull up a conclusive answer.

Couple questions, and the answers to some may answer others as they're all related:

1. Is there a difference between having a commission with a faction and having no colonies (no player faction) and having a commission with player colonies? (not governorship-purchased worlds, but settled by the player directly)
2. Is purchasing governorship the only way to have colonies and stay a part of your starting faction from a mechanics perspective?
3. If you have a commission from a faction and then colonize a planet for yourself, does that take you out of their faction but keep your commission? Like, for war declaration purposes, is the player faction and their commission faction linked so a war with one causes a war with the other?
4. Are governorship-purchased colonies functionally identical to player colonies in the base game, just with a different color scheme?
5. Is there any risk to losing governorship of a colony without it being invaded with normal invasion mechanics?

Arcagnello

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: November 10, 2020, 06:15:11 PM »

I apologize if this has been asked/covered before, but 225 pages is a lot to read through and my searches did not pull up a conclusive answer.

Couple questions, and the answers to some may answer others as they're all related:

1. Is there a difference between having a commission with a faction and having no colonies (no player faction) and having a commission with player colonies? (not governorship-purchased worlds, but settled by the player directly)
2. Is purchasing governorship the only way to have colonies and stay a part of your starting faction from a mechanics perspective?
3. If you have a commission from a faction and then colonize a planet for yourself, does that take you out of their faction but keep your commission? Like, for war declaration purposes, is the player faction and their commission faction linked so a war with one causes a war with the other?
4. Are governorship-purchased colonies functionally identical to player colonies in the base game, just with a different color scheme?
5. Is there any risk to losing governorship of a colony without it being invaded with normal invasion mechanics?

1) I actually don't fully comprehend what you're asking here. I do not think you can get a commission from your own colonized planets, and how would you colonize a planet without creating your own faction as a result? I don't think Nex has introduced colonization missions just yet (but it would be nice if it did!).
2)You can actually keep a commission with a faction while at the same time creating your own. Just be aware that colonizing/invading a planet will hurt your reputation with the faction you're commissioned by 25 points each time. On a side note, I would need confirmation for this next statement, but I think you need to resign said commission with a faction if you want your own faction to enter an alliance with them instead.
3)see answer number two
4)They are functionally identical to player owned colonies aside from the fact the AI will babysit it for you somewhat, sending relief fleets and whatnot. I will need confirmation on this next statement by someone else, but I believe that while your own colonies do not alter sector-wide market demand (this is a thing from Vanilla), colonies you have a Governorship of do since they're not really "yours".
5)Speaking of colonies you own governorship of not really being yours, resign your commission and all of your governorships of planets of that faction will be revoked. I have not experimented with them possibly getting restored if you get commissioned once again but sense would dictate otherwise.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3358 on: November 10, 2020, 10:21:42 PM »

If you have your own colonies while holding a commission, the player faction will be subordinated to the commissioning faction in a bunch of ways: your faction relations remained synced to the commissioner, you don't get random diplomacy events of your own and can't form/join alliances, that sort of thing.

Governed colonies use the commissioning faction's ship quality settings instead of the player's, and can pass on quality bonuses to player production. For technical reasons they're also immune to the vanilla punitive expeditions and Hegemony AI inspections.

You lose the governorship if you lose your commission for whatever reason (resigning or low reputation).

Phoenixheart

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: November 11, 2020, 08:30:49 AM »

Perfect, thanks!
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 396