Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3013193 times)

Shadowkiller

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Nexerelin v0.9.5h "Corporate Warfare" (fixes 2019-12-20)
« Reply #2850 on: February 06, 2020, 10:17:52 AM »

When I enter the code tells me that the compilation failed. Org.codehaus.commons.compilre.compile.exception Line 1, column 137 - a method named setboolean Is not declared in any enclosing class nor any supertype, nor through a static import.

I have no idea what any of that means XD

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: February 06, 2020, 12:37:11 PM »

I found what I feel is flaw in the spawning of ambush pirates and vengeance fleets, namely that they just magically appear at a fixed distance and magically beeline for the player's fleet.

For example, if you do a scan that triggers a pirate spawn, they don't appear at a jump point and start searching for you.  Instead they just show up at a random spot in the system and somehow, without any scanning or searching required, automatically know where your fleet is... even if you're running dark inside an asteroid belt with a signature of literally 50.

Now that might just be a vanilla thing (I can't even remember what vanilla is like anymore, TBH), but there is one that is definitely a Nexerelin thing and that's vengeance fleets and how they also magically appear at fixed ranges.  While the game says they are launching from a specific location, I looked into the mod's code and it doesn't look like that's what actually happens.  Instead when you exit into hyperspace it just teleports them to a fixed distance near you (again) and they automatically zero in you (again) regardless of sensor strength or fleet signature (again) with no searching required (again).

So my question is this: Are there any plans on making this more realistic/immersive down the line?  Can it even be done, for that matter?

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: February 06, 2020, 10:31:01 PM »

I found what I feel is flaw in the spawning of ambush pirates and vengeance fleets, namely that they just magically appear at a fixed distance and magically beeline for the player's fleet.

For example, if you do a scan that triggers a pirate spawn, they don't appear at a jump point and start searching for you.  Instead they just show up at a random spot in the system and somehow, without any scanning or searching required, automatically know where your fleet is... even if you're running dark inside an asteroid belt with a signature of literally 50.

Now that might just be a vanilla thing (I can't even remember what vanilla is like anymore, TBH), but there is one that is definitely a Nexerelin thing and that's vengeance fleets and how they also magically appear at fixed ranges.  While the game says they are launching from a specific location, I looked into the mod's code and it doesn't look like that's what actually happens.  Instead when you exit into hyperspace it just teleports them to a fixed distance near you (again) and they automatically zero in you (again) regardless of sensor strength or fleet signature (again) with no searching required (again).

So my question is this: Are there any plans on making this more realistic/immersive down the line?  Can it even be done, for that matter?

Tripping a trap transmitter, which in turn spawns a pirate fleet / angers Remnant fleets in system is indeed vanilla.

I am not sure about how exactly Vengeance fleets work, but I feel like them knowing your location at any point is better, because they are a threat (which you can bait into other faction's fleets and cause them to get killed anyway)
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

Lycaeon

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: February 09, 2020, 06:33:50 PM »

Been playing the game for about a month now and I have to say Nexerelin is the mod it needs to feel like a complete game. While Vanilla was definitely fun for the first week eventually it got rather stale quickly as nothing really happened or changed in the sector as the game went on, apart from actions made directly from the player. Nex adds the dynamic events and faction interactions that really finish the game in my opinion; the sector actually feels alive around you regardless of what you're doing yourself.

However it did take some fiddling with the settings before it got to the point I'm enjoying best. With the mod itself added unchanged the sector flipped from one extreme to the other; relationships between factions degraded in only a few months, massive capital fleets appear out of nowhere trampling everything in the first cycle, and by the second cycle at least one of the factions (usually Tri-Tachyon) has bit the dust after losing their core industrial worlds. While certainly dynamic, for me it was too chaotic and rapidly ending to be a fun experience; the remaining worlds and factions gradually fall apart because they really can't stand up to each other's endless supply of invasion fleets. And this was in a game with just the vanilla factions +/- one of the other modded factions.

After reading through the thread I came upon the settings recommendations which I did as follows. I avoided changing more since the other settings were less clear as to what they actually did.

In exerelin_config I changed these values:

invasionFleetSizeMult; Changed to 0.5 from 1.0

pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet; Changed from 24000 to between 50 and 75000

vengeanceFleetSizeMult: 0.5 from 0.8

In diplomacyConfig I changed the following:

eventFrequency: from 15 to 45

This made it so that faction relationships changed much more gradually so at least a cycle or two would pass before a faction started getting really *** off at another. Invasions and raids happened much less frequently and when they did happen the attacking fleets were a reasonable size that in most cases were able to be repulsed by the defenders at heavy cost. This left the defending world severely weakened but not conquered, and shortly afterwards the defending faction sends it an aid fleet that can restabilize it (But not before I take advantage of the wartime shortages to sell everything under the sun at insane prices). Wars like this went on for some time before peace treaties were signed leaving both sides blooded (but still standing). Smaller scale skirmishes between faction trading fleets and pirates still happened regularly, but on the whole each faction was able to retain enough markets in order to keep their worlds civilized, with little help from my profiteering needed.

The game kept the feeling of being a living world, but one that didn't collapse under its own weight before I felt like I could do anything. I didn't feel rushed by events and took things slowly; it felt more like a vanilla game except there was a lot more fighting and interesting events going on, except actual massive changes would still need the player's influence to take place, which to me was the right balance.

Really appreciate the work from the modder and community in making this mod so great. ;D Just wanted to add in what helped me get a better gameplay experience if anyone is curious.

tedesco

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: February 10, 2020, 05:50:40 AM »

Hi. First post and big fan of the mod :)

Now for a request.. would it be possible to somehow automate "Base strike" requested fleets against targets (pirate/luddic) threatening your colonies?
Once the location of a hostile base is discovered it would be great to receive a message requesting funds for a strike mission. For balance reasons this could be available only once the player has a high command building.

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: February 10, 2020, 09:04:41 PM »

I understand why the changes were made to the raids and the cooldown for blueprints is not something that bothers me at all.

That being said, is there a way to make it so that blueprints dropped from raids are guaranteed to be something the player doesn't know?

Thanks!

Viking8008

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: February 11, 2020, 07:14:25 AM »

I understand why the changes were made to the raids and the cooldown for blueprints is not something that bothers me at all.

That being said, is there a way to make it so that blueprints dropped from raids are guaranteed to be something the player doesn't know?

Thanks!

Ye, I want this too.

StarScum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: February 11, 2020, 08:48:30 PM »

Is it possible to get Diktat, Perseus, and Tritakeon in an alliance with the player? I want to counter the Hegemony once and for all.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #2858 on: February 12, 2020, 04:29:40 AM »

The raid blueprint drop thing is currently hardcoded, although I may add a config setting for it later. Sorry!

but there is one that is definitely a Nexerelin thing and that's vengeance fleets and how they also magically appear at fixed ranges.  While the game says they are launching from a specific location, I looked into the mod's code and it doesn't look like that's what actually happens.  Instead when you exit into hyperspace it just teleports them to a fixed distance near you (again) and they automatically zero in you (again) regardless of sensor strength or fleet signature (again) with no searching required (again).
Vengeance fleets don't insta-appear, they spawn at a planet and have to fly to where you are (and can be killed on the way without you ever encountering them). They do have the ability to always follow an out-of-sight player, although they lose it when they get close and have to complete the search manually.

Now for a request.. would it be possible to somehow automate "Base strike" requested fleets against targets (pirate/luddic) threatening your colonies?
Once the location of a hostile base is discovered it would be great to receive a message requesting funds for a strike mission. For balance reasons this could be available only once the player has a high command building.
Hmm, would require some work to do it well, perhaps in the future.
(The idea I have is to add a button to the pirate/Pather base intel screen, bringing up the fleet request dialog with appropriate settings already set. That requires doing stuff to replace the game's pirate/Pather base code)

Is it possible to get Diktat, Perseus, and Tritakeon in an alliance with the player? I want to counter the Hegemony once and for all.
Make them like you and each other (agents help) and you can. (Don't use TT as the founding partner, since this can cause alignment incompatibilities)

Although I find that player doesn't really need help to kick the Hegemony around (or almost anyone else).

e

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: February 12, 2020, 11:11:26 AM »

The raid blueprint drop thing is currently hardcoded, although I may add a config setting for it later. Sorry!

It's alright, thanks! :)

Viking8008

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: February 12, 2020, 01:32:01 PM »

How soon new patch? ;D
Also is the max Veng fleet 3? If so can you make it atleast 5?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 01:45:20 PM by Viking8008 »

NephilimNexus

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: February 12, 2020, 04:35:43 PM »

Also is the max Veng fleet 3? If so can you make it atleast 5?

Hang on, let's see if I can find that dominatrix's business card...

LI've seen level 1 fleets sporting 10+ battleships and carriers.  They are already stupidly OP as it is.  To put it in perspective, for a player with $500,000 of industry output it would take them roughly 5+ years to build as many ships as the AI magically pull out of their arses for even one low-level vengeance fleet.  We're talking about ten million bucks worth of ships per level on average, and they often have 2 or 3 running at a time.

Palpatine's mystery armada was more believable than what gets spawned in vengeance fleets.  If anything, IMHO they need to be toned down, not up.

caymon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: February 13, 2020, 11:13:58 AM »

Hmm, would require some work to do it well, perhaps in the future.
(The idea I have is to add a button to the pirate/Pather base intel screen, bringing up the fleet request dialog with appropriate settings already set. That requires doing stuff to replace the game's pirate/Pather base code)

Maybe a planetary building? that automatically dispatches fleets to deal with them. Something with a high upkeep and AI cores or nano forges upgrade the quality of fleets sent out.

adds drain to player colonies profits in lue of annoyance at dealing with pirates/ludds.

xelo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: February 13, 2020, 03:22:57 PM »

Hello

I installed Nexerelin, Vayra's Sector and some other mods.
I enabled "Random Core Worlds" in the starting menu.
Now I miss all inactive gates. I couldn't find a single one.
But since I play with the mod "Active Gates" I really would like to get them back.

Are inactive gates not available with random core worlds?

All installed mods are the latest version from a very few days ago.

Bye :)

jadonyx

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: February 14, 2020, 10:38:22 AM »

Random invasion fleets with dozens of capitals is very annoying. It is doesn't make sense.
One solution I can make is limited number of ships per faction. But I don't know if it even possible to realize this.
Also it is need to note somewhere all that ships and what they are doing.
With all beautiful complexity of this game random fleets and stuff that appear from nowhere is ruins all it charm.

Also that stupid AI decisions. Hegemony invade heart of TriTach planet Eochu Bress. Adequate decision.
Beats sh!t of TT and take Culann with TT corrupted nano. Wise.
What TT will do? Take it back while battle station is offline? Will trying take it back at all? Wrong.
Invasion:Chicomoztoc. Faction:Tri-Tachyon. [doublefacepalm.jpg]

Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 396