Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 396

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3012822 times)

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Nexerelin v0.8.4z: 0.9 beta (fixes 2019-01-08)
« Reply #1860 on: January 08, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »

I think there's a bug in Luddic Church invasion fleets...i just saw them launch 13-15 full size fleets from Tenacity and doubt they have enough markets to support em:)./

Turdicus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 08, 2019, 10:00:28 PM »

Hey, fantastic work Histidine. I'm not sure if this is the place but I was cruising through space on the way to a Luddic Path Cell when I got a null pointer crash. Here is the log:

20776447 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.api.impl.campaign.intel.ProcurementMissionIntel  - Created ProcurementMissionIntel: hand_weapons to Hlidskjalf Mantle
20777664 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain  - java.lang.NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
   at exerelin.campaign.fleets.InvasionFleetManager.processInvasionPoints(InvasionFleetManager.java:540)
   at exerelin.campaign.fleets.InvasionFleetManager.advance(InvasionFleetManager.java:642)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignEngine.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.campaign.CampaignState.advance(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.BaseGameState.traverse(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.state.AppDriver.begin(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.combat.CombatMain.main(Unknown Source)
   at com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher$1.run(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)

Hope it helps. If this is the wrong place to post this I apologize. Thank you!

Shad

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 09, 2019, 12:53:46 AM »

Bug.

Independents want to launch a saturation bombing expedtion against a pirate station I just captured in the same system.

1. Independents should not even be launching expeditions in the firest place since they are not territorial like named factions.
2. Independents are friendly. Friendly factions should not be aiming to commit genocide against you in the first place.
This is vanilla AI behavior - if you have a settled colony on a claimed planet and there's an AI faction in the same system or the AI faction that originally owned it still has planets, they'll try to saturation bomb the colony.
I was pretty sure this did not apply to independents as they share plenty of systems with other factions, not to mention they are not a full "faction" in the first place, more of a collection of everyone from neutral explorers and smugglers.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [0.9a] Nexerelin v0.8.4z RC2: 0.9 beta (hotfix 2019-01-09)
« Reply #1863 on: January 09, 2019, 04:15:47 AM »

Hotfix for invasion fleet manager crashing under certain conditions.
Place in Nexerelin/jars

Or you can download the full 0.8.4z RC2 here

Question: How do I know which mods are compatible with Nexerelin? (especially the faction mods that are currently 0.9a)
You'll just have to see if the mod's thread OP says it's compatible, for the most part.
If it doesn't say, you can also check the mod's folder to see if it has a folder data/config/exerelin or data/config/exerelinFactionConfig, although some older mods don't have this (since their config files are in Nexerelin itself).

Is there any way to directly improve relations between the faction you're commissioned with and another faction? I remember Agents having that ability in .8 Nex but I can't seem to find any now.
Anything you do to personally gain rep with the target faction will also gain rep for your commissioned faction.
For specific methods: agents haven't been reimplemented yet, but you can use prisoners or do missions for them.

Bug.

Independents want to launch a saturation bombing expedtion against a pirate station I just captured in the same system.

1. Independents should not even be launching expeditions in the firest place since they are not territorial like named factions.
2. Independents are friendly. Friendly factions should not be aiming to commit genocide against you in the first place.
This is vanilla AI behavior - if you have a settled colony on a claimed planet and there's an AI faction in the same system or the AI faction that originally owned it still has planets, they'll try to saturation bomb the colony.
I was pretty sure this did not apply to independents as they share plenty of systems with other factions, not to mention they are not a full "faction" in the first place, more of a collection of everyone from neutral explorers and smugglers.
Only player ever gets saturation bombed for territoriality, the other factions won't do this to each other. (Unfair, I know)
Independents are territorial too. I think there was a post or thread somewhere about changing this, but it wouldn't hurt to mention it to Alex again. Either way, I'll probably disable it for independents in next Nexerelin release (and eventually adjust the mechanic overall)

(If you want to do it yourself quickly: starsector-core\data\world\factions\independent.faction -> "territorial":false, in punitiveExpeditionData table)

I think there's a bug in Luddic Church invasion fleets...i just saw them launch 13-15 full size fleets from Tenacity and doubt they have enough markets to support em:)./
There's currently no technical limit on invasion fleet sizes at such (always scales to match the target), but it does make them have to wait longer before the next invasion fleet if they don't have enough military-capable markets.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 04:21:32 AM by Histidine »

instago

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 09, 2019, 02:42:06 PM »

Edit: Added some more notes about deciv's at the very end after >10 hours into a save.

Hopefully it's okay to leave a bit of fan mail here. The last part of my post will be some observations with hotfix 2019-01-09, and some questions about the future of the mod now that we have the 0.9 survey-> colonization game loop.

Here goes: to Histidine, LazyWizard (for LazyLib which Nexerelin depends on), and of course, Zaphide for Exerelin, thank you! I really love this mod. I waited to try 0.9, maybe foolishly, until Nexerelin was released. I'm a big fan of 4X games. And I absolutely adore Mount&Blade because it is the game I dreamed of when I was a child. I view Nexerelin as a way to achieve that fantasy in Starsector and I deeply appreciate your efforts here. I am having a blast building up my fleet, my faction, and competing with the big players in the sector.

Onto some observations: it looks like decivilization may still be a bit of an issue, but it has been lessened to some extent. Currently, in my save, I am more than 4 hours in. All the factions are still around, and only about 5 places have been decivilized. This is an improvement of 8 places deciv'd and 2 factions eliminated that I reported pre-hotfix occurring over a shorter time period.

I am looking forward to seeing the mod evolve the 4X gameplay in 0.9. I looked through the wishlist in the OP.  I'm wondering if you have anything to add onto your wishlist now that we have colonization and the surveying system in the game officially (for example, should NPC factions be able to do these two things? Should new factions be able to spawn?). I have looked through the thread about colonization and mostly came across stuff from 2016 or earlier. My apologies if these questions have already been answered.

Edit 2:

NPC colony expeditions appear to be on the Bitbucket Issue Tracker.

Edit:

Played several more hours into my save. Decivs still seem to be a problem, at about 11 now. I guess I'm at >10 hours into this save. Notable decivs include Jangala and Sindria. Ragnar Complex was also deciv'd (is that a standalone station without a planet?). Since it looks like planets can only be deciv'd and not resettled by the AI, decivs will continue to be more problematic over time. I would guess that, given enough time, only a single faction will remain, only holding a handful of worlds, with the rest of the worlds having been deciv'd.

From an NPC faction point of view, the crux is that settlements can only be destroyed, and cannot be resettled. The result of this is that, over time, more and more settlements will be destroyed by decivilization. Even if previously deciv'd worlds could be resettled by AI, I imagine it would be problematic to fine tune the system such that the rate of deciv vs colonization is at least equal. Barring that, I am going to guess most games will go into what is essentially a decivilization spiral. This is what I have been experiencing myself.

If you want to map paint, maybe that's okay, since you can just resettle everything yourself. But I like having multiple factions around so interesting things can happen.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 06:44:42 PM by instago »

Vulpis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9a] Nexerelin v0.8.4y2: 0.9 beta (release 2019-01-06)
« Reply #1865 on: January 10, 2019, 10:36:28 AM »

How do we paint the map in this version? Admin caps are still around. Do we just transfer unwanted markets to independents?
Yeah, just shuffle off the surplus to indies for now. I didn't have time to implement a more sophisticated solution regrettably, although I expect to have one for next major release.
I tried using the planet transfer and it didn't increase the reputation with the faction at all even though it said it would...

Also how possible do you reckon it to be to allow the player to order their fleets to attack a target station/planet, maybe at a cost to account for supplies needed or something.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 12:18:08 PM by Vulpis »

hkmist

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 10, 2019, 01:06:04 PM »

Will the function of spawning fleet with credit come back later? Attack fleet are too large to deal with without some extra defense fleet.

With the current balance Planet just never seem to have enough space defense and get bomb to empty ground without player around, it with be handy if there are way to temporary add defense fleet. And have a way to repair planet defense is good too since a planet is basically dead once it defend go down for more than a month.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 10, 2019, 11:52:05 PM »

Thirding. Invasions are far too large and far too common. Invasions should be rare both from lore and also from a gameplay angle. The game is there for players to effect and not for players to watch happen.

From a lore perspective the sector is pretty stable on that front. The AI wars saw a few planets destroyed and these were events that scarred the system for hundreds of years to come. Invading a planet is difficult and costly and not really in the spirit of how warfare is carried out in the lore.

Invasions should only happen when one side has commited a significant act. (Decivilizing a planet as an example, even if by accident) while raids and combat can be common. If there is needed a way to provide the transfer of colonies to another then i would propose a method based on stability

If stability gets too low for too long then planets rebel and are swapped to a pirate or independent faction. After a certain amount of time they then join the faction with the closest high stability planet unless that planet is from the faction they were at the time they dropped. In which case they become pirate or independent for real. Each faction gets a planet that is immune to this check. Alternately to “closest high srability” is that interested factions could make a “bid” and fight over the independnt colony(without invading it)

Rather than sending invasion fleets factions send excursions(disrupt mining, refining, fuel, light industry, commerce, ground defenses, food only), raids(transfer valuable items like ai cores and nanoforges), blockades(sit on a hyperspace point and disrupt shipping), or bounty(send forces against specific fleets). This can be used to give factions character too. The hegemony is likely to blockade before disrupting industry while the Diktat is probably going to send out bounty hunters, the Persean League is going to protect its industry(by bombing yours), and tri-tach is going to try to steal all that valuable technology.

Many of those have stability effects so they can trigger colony swapping if enough happens in time. Or invasions if these trigger a deciv. Or invasions if you trigger a war by invading personally

More importantly they give the player things to do besides try and desperately stop/Help invasions. They can find rading fleets and take them down after they are successful to steal that loot. They can do faction bounties themselves(bonus payout for in commission!), they can run blockades and stockpile goods in advance of shortages.

In order to be “dynamic” for the player facing effects the system has to be stable. Invasions are currently degenerate and are likely to stay that way even if their severity and frequency are reduced

Edit: invasion fleets are also just far too large now. There is no defending fleet anymore and invasion sizes seem to have quadrupled or more over .8 nex (where a 2 stack would be a decent size now 8 stack invasions are common against a weaker auto-resolve defender)
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 11:59:42 PM by Goumindong »

grinningsphinx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 11, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »

Will the function of spawning fleet with credit come back later? Attack fleet are too large to deal with without some extra defense fleet.

With the current balance Planet just never seem to have enough space defense and get bomb to empty ground without player around, it with be handy if there are way to temporary add defense fleet. And have a way to repair planet defense is good too since a planet is basically dead once it defend go down for more than a month.

Just make your home base in a system with multiple habitable planets...each High Command you have adds lots more ships to fly around and blockade stuff...also, having good ship blueprints and sensibly setting up your doctrine makes this a breeze.

Spess Mahren

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 11, 2019, 02:42:53 AM »

Just wanted to say that I seem to still get significant decivs early as well, within one and a half game years in my latest campaign Sindria went under, but I think a bug might be occurring since I saw Fulcrum Station from Arkgenesis have a -92 stab hit from a invasion at one point but it never deciv'd so it might just be something on Arkgenesis's end.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 11, 2019, 03:55:01 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'll probably do the following:
  • Greatly reduce invasion frequency (possibly 1/3rd of current), and adjust their size
  • Add a raid system in their place (probably just a clone of the existing pirate raids), along with certain rare offensive events like saturation bombardment fleets at vengeful status
  • Reintroduce the rebellion mechanic from previous versions earlier than I would have otherwise

There'll also be a fleet orders menu where you can purchase a fleet for credits and direct it to invade a market, bombard/destroy a market (e.g. for removing pirate and Pather bases) or defend a system, usable remotely (i.e. you don't have to be at the specific target as with the old system).

In the meantime, anyone who wants to make invasions less frequent locally can edit exerelin_config.json and increase the pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet setting.

Worachot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 11, 2019, 06:40:15 AM »

im proberbly just stupid, but where is the blueprintshop?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 11, 2019, 07:15:02 AM »

im proberbly just stupid, but where is the blueprintshop?
Open comm board at Prism, talk to any of the base officials

Vulpis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 11, 2019, 07:19:53 AM »

Thanks for all the feedback!

I'll probably do the following:
  • Greatly reduce invasion frequency (possibly 1/3rd of current), and adjust their size
  • Add a raid system in their place (probably just a clone of the existing pirate raids), along with certain rare offensive events like saturation bombardment fleets at vengeful status
  • Reintroduce the rebellion mechanic from previous versions earlier than I would have otherwise

There'll also be a fleet orders menu where you can purchase a fleet for credits and direct it to invade a market, bombard/destroy a market (e.g. for removing pirate and Pather bases) or defend a system, usable remotely (i.e. you don't have to be at the specific target as with the old system).

In the meantime, anyone who wants to make invasions less frequent locally can edit exerelin_config.json and increase the pointsRequiredForInvasionFleet setting.
Well now I can't wait...

Lordzias

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:38 AM »

It was at that time that Hegemony decided that enough is enough and that the sectory really belonged to them...

Spoiler

All of those are invasion fleets.
[close]
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 396