Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 398

Author Topic: [0.97a] Nexerelin v0.11.1b "Clausewitz Protocol" (update 2024-02-11)  (Read 3043352 times)

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] Nexerelin v0.7.2 (update 2016-01-01)
« Reply #780 on: January 02, 2016, 12:47:27 PM »

I used the search to no avail, Is there a way to process materials? Like turn ore into metal, Through this mod/vanilla/ or another mod? Also i see a blank outpost button, is there a way to manage planets or set up outposts? Sorry for my noobness but I haven't player this game in years.
Hello! :)
Outposts are an upcoming feature, much like there was the Officers button in that same spot.
As of now, you can't do any of that.
And no, you cannot process materials per se; if a trade fleet heading to an ore processing world gets destroyed, a trade disruption will occur with the corresponding price incerase. Technically, the metals stockpiles available for sale should dwindle too, but I've failed to notice that.
Also, bear in mind economy was seriously revamped since 0.65a

Alexander86

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: January 02, 2016, 04:22:59 PM »

Ook, no big deal. This game scratches my Escape Velocity itch like no other game has. Great community too.
Can someone tell me where the prism freeport spawns? I can't seem to locate it at all.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 08:36:08 PM by Alexander86 »

Adraius

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: January 02, 2016, 09:47:35 PM »

If you enable it in the starting dialog options, it appears in hyperspace and shifts position whenever you exit hyperspace.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #783 on: January 02, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »

It moves? wuuuut? i never noticed!

Gezzaman

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #784 on: January 03, 2016, 04:34:57 PM »

Ook, no big deal. This game scratches my Escape Velocity itch like no other game has. Great community too.
Can someone tell me where the prism freeport spawns? I can't seem to locate it at all.

EV nova was the best 2d space sim hands down for so many years.... until i bought starsector :D

Blaze

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: January 03, 2016, 06:25:49 PM »

I've been trying out mining for quite some time; and I understand it's bare-bones, but I see a few issues.

- Resources are infinite, allowing one to harvest planets and then drag them off to a market on a nearby moon. A task with very little danger can generate tens of thousands with an unoptimized fleet and millions with a specialized fleet.
- There is little reason to mine dangerous planets, such as toxic/volcanic.
- The viability of mining is heavily dependent on random chance, for both average market price and price of supplies.

If I could make the following suggestions:

Give planets a two new attributes to increase diversity: Overharvesting and Renewability.

As you obtain more resources from planets, its overharvesting level increases. As overharvesting level increases, further mining efforts will yield fewer resources (Capped at a certain percentage). Overharvesting will decrease over time, but the higher it is, the slower it decreases.

Overharvesting depends on the amount of resources gained, so it won't affect smaller mining fleets than it does with planet-stripping fleets.

The second, renewability, is unique to the planet type, it represents a planet's ability to recover from overharvesting. For example, volcanic planets will recover from overharvesting much faster than a barren planet due to the increased volcanic activity bringing up resources from the mantle, which is beyond the range of conventional mining weapons.

The combination of these two should encourage miners to move onto the next planet as profit margins will become increasingly smaller due to the relatively static cost of supplies versus the decreasing number of resources. It also gives miners a reason to go to more risky planets, as they recover faster.

About gas planets: when it comes right down to it, they're the most profitable mining option due to the relatively low danger level, high resource output, and the higher prices volatiles fetch over basic ore.

To counter this, I would suggest that mining gas planets does not the fleet's traditional mining rating. Instead, mining gas planets should use "Scoop Tonnage", an innate statistic assigned to certain ships; think opening up your cargo hold and flying through the gas cloud like a whale and you're not far off. Possibly increasing the usefulness of ships like the Phaeton and Prometheus, albiet slightly; while also getting rid of the mental image of mining by shooting high-power energy weapons into volatiles - which are by nature... volatile.

Asteroids are exempt from overharvesting, it'd be too annoying to track every single asteroid, but they can compensate by having much lower yield or higher danger.

As for the third issue, this is a little tricky, and I don't think any amount of economy tweaking is going to be enough - At least in the current version.

The biggest exploit in mining has to be the price fixing found in certain markets, where the value of a commodity won't drop to 1 no matter how much you sell. The difference between selling 50,000 volatives at 1cred vs 50,000 volatiles at a price-fixed 23creds is huge.

The only thing I can think of to fix this is reducing the base price of all resources to 1, but this opens up a whole slew of issues; even without including the game's economy calculations.

Then there's the issue of supply cost, depending on random chance it can range anywhere from 50-300+ creds per supply unit.

However, looking at what Steiner's foundation did, perhaps one could add a "Mining Foundation Representative" to certain ports. Allowing the player to barter resources for supplies/credits at a fixed rate (Which is still rather inflated of course). You could limit it to increments (They don't deal in small change) to reduce script complexity.

Of course, these are just suggestions. I'm enjoying the mod as it already is.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2016, 06:28:41 PM by Blaze »

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: January 04, 2016, 01:27:54 AM »

I am not sure if this is Nexerelin or Starsector+ related yet, but every new game with pirate stations in the system turns out like this:

Spoiler
[close]

A bit crazy, right? sometimes it gets much larger than that, though. at one point in a game there were three massive pirate fleets ravaging an entire system. Don't really know what to say, just that having that many pirates is a bit nuts. after a *while* everything returns to normal and it never happens again. i also don't see fleets that size without it being a bounty fleet after incidents like that.

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: January 04, 2016, 02:14:38 AM »

I am not sure if this is Nexerelin or Starsector+ related yet, but every new game with pirate stations in the system turns out like this:

Spoiler
[close]

A bit crazy, right? sometimes it gets much larger than that, though. at one point in a game there were three massive pirate fleets ravaging an entire system. Don't really know what to say, just that having that many pirates is a bit nuts. after a *while* everything returns to normal and it never happens again. i also don't see fleets that size without it being a bounty fleet after incidents like that.

Just start in another cluster. Once, when I chose the "Free Start" option, the Exerelin system was just two pirate and two Infected stations.
In another game w/ only four star systems, I've had one spawn quite far from other three, and it was chock full of - you've guessed it - pirates! (2 pirate markets, 3 Junk Pirates, and one Infected homeworld) ;D

This brings me to the question - can we transfer our generated worlds? So we can play anew in the world we have already generated and we like very much? (Not unlike the Minecraft worlf seeds, amirite?)

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: January 04, 2016, 02:17:51 AM »

oh, i probably should have specified: that is  Corvus. Corvus mode Corvus. This has also happened in the BRDY home system, as well.

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: January 04, 2016, 02:22:10 AM »

oh, i probably should have specified: that is  Corvus. Corvus mode Corvus. This has also happened in the BRDY home system, as well.
Well, in that case youre going to have to live with it :D or play without SS+

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #790 on: January 04, 2016, 03:16:27 AM »

Turn off pirate patrols in the faction config.

This brings me to the question - can we transfer our generated worlds? So we can play anew in the world we have already generated and we like very much? (Not unlike the Minecraft worlf seeds, amirite?)
Not yet. Maybe Someday?

@Blaze: Yeah, good ideas with the mining, though the commodity price thing is probably not solvable in the current version of SS (at least I haven't found a way to reliably do it despite my best efforts). I'll probably do overharvesting and renewal at least if I ever get around to working on mining again*. (Maybe gas planet scoops too, though I'm not sure of the effort/reward ratio on those)

*I'm mostly leaving the game alone for a while, seeing as it's fully functional and doesn't have any particularly significant bugs circulating right now. I did find the time to do this (inspired by SS+):
Spoiler

Spoiler
Modders! If you ever find yourselves on a weekend morning with nothing to do, would you be so kind as to supply fleet definitions (i.e. a list of variants) you think would be suitable for the four new starting fleet types? That'll save me the trouble of going through the variants for like 35 different mods and putting them together myself.
The small fleets usually have 1 destroyer and 2 frigates, the large ones have 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 1 frigate. But variations are possible, as you can see from the BRDY screenshot.
[close]
[close]
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 03:35:00 AM by Histidine »

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: January 04, 2016, 06:28:04 AM »

Spoiler
Modders! If you ever find yourselves on a weekend morning with nothing to do, would you be so kind as to supply fleet definitions (i.e. a list of variants) you think would be suitable for the four new starting fleet types? That'll save me the trouble of going through the variants for like 35 different mods and putting them together myself.
The small fleets usually have 1 destroyer and 2 frigates, the large ones have 1 cruiser, 1 destroyer and 1 frigate. But variations are possible, as you can see from the BRDY screenshot.
[close]

Send you a PM

Snrasha

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: January 04, 2016, 08:10:59 AM »

A quote who show how represents this new startings fleet types?
For send directly a file.txt very simple to read for you.
ex:
{
"Anwser1":[              
            "name":"Light combat patroln",
            "variant":[
            "ship_variant1",
            "ship_variant2",
            ]
(or not?)"Inventory":[{120,210,210}]           (crew,supply,fuel)
],
"Answer2":[],
}

Thank.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 08:15:36 AM by Snrasha »
I am pretty bad on english. So, sorry in advance.

Gladiator Society
Add battle options on Com Relay/ Framework for modders for add their own bounty.

Sanguinary Autonomist Defectors A fan-mod of Shadowyard.

Bastion.Systems

• Captain
  • Special Circumstances LCU
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: January 04, 2016, 03:51:53 PM »

Spoiler
[close]
Hegemony colonized a sun :o
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
I guess they landed at the time of the solar eclipse  8)
You can only reach the surface with a fast fleet while emergency burning, otherwise the corona pushes you away.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016, 04:04:46 PM by Bastion.Systems »

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #794 on: January 04, 2016, 08:00:15 PM »

A quote who show how represents this new startings fleet types?
Here's an example.
(You can include SSP versions of the fleets as well, but they should only really be needed for vanilla factions)

Spoiler
[close]
Hegemony colonized a sun :o
Spoiler
[close]
I'm pretty sure I fixed that back in 0.7.1 (and I can tell from the star tooltip that the Nexerelin version shown isn't 0.7.2 or newer). Is it still happening for people?
Pages: 1 ... 51 52 [53] 54 55 ... 398