Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95.1a is out! (12/10/21); Blog post: Uniquifying the Factions, Part 2 (04/30/22)

Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 316

Author Topic: [0.95.1a] Nexerelin v0.10.4d "Dissonance" (fixes 2022-04-09)  (Read 2113488 times)

TheTangy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95.1a] Nexerelin v0.10.4d "Dissonance" (fixes 2022-04-09)
« Reply #4635 on: May 11, 2022, 10:50:08 AM »

Hi,

In Starsector+Nexerelin, I'm commissioned by the ORA, but it and its allies are too strong.  I want to work for the ORA, but have more competition down the line.

Can I (secretly) prop up the ORA alliance's competitors without actually resigning my commission and fighting against the ORA?

Some ideas:
  • I thought maybe selling them Class V survey data might help them colonize better planets, but I don't know how frequently colonization happens anyways or if this would help.
  • Will doing pirate bounties of competing factions help them? (Not system bounties since I don't actually want to fight the ORA or its allies)
  • Should I look for competing factions that need food and such in their colonies and trade with them?
  • Should I look for agents and use them against the ORA, or will that reveal my involvement?
  • Should I create a pirate fleet and come in with transponders off and raid their major bases, or will that make it too easy to get caught?
  • Will the other factions (much weaker than the ORA alliance on their own) eventually ally up and compete on their own with the ORA, without me doing anything?
  • Should I find powerful duplicate blueprints and sell them to other faction's markets?

Or is will none of that actually affect how the mod does power levels?  Any advice appreciated.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
« Reply #4636 on: May 12, 2022, 06:34:45 AM »

If I grind reputation with the [REDACTED] through the contact and settle in a system with one of their stations, they will attack any trading fleets coming to my planets from other factions, as well as other neutral stuff, like scavenger fleets, smugglers, etc., right?

If yes, is there any way around that? I guess I could use Console Commands to set them friendly/neutral to other factions.
Yeah, they'll do that (at least if you're in or near the system, so the trade fleets and such are actually generated instead of being abstracted away).
There isn't currently a solution other than console, alas.

Hi,

In Starsector+Nexerelin, I'm commissioned by the ORA, but it and its allies are too strong.  I want to work for the ORA, but have more competition down the line.

Can I (secretly) prop up the ORA alliance's competitors without actually resigning my commission and fighting against the ORA?

Some ideas:
  • I thought maybe selling them Class V survey data might help them colonize better planets, but I don't know how frequently colonization happens anyways or if this would help.
  • Will doing pirate bounties of competing factions help them? (Not system bounties since I don't actually want to fight the ORA or its allies)
  • Should I look for competing factions that need food and such in their colonies and trade with them?
  • Should I look for agents and use them against the ORA, or will that reveal my involvement?
  • Should I create a pirate fleet and come in with transponders off and raid their major bases, or will that make it too easy to get caught?
  • Will the other factions (much weaker than the ORA alliance on their own) eventually ally up and compete on their own with the ORA, without me doing anything?
  • Should I find powerful duplicate blueprints and sell them to other faction's markets?

Or is will none of that actually affect how the mod does power levels?  Any advice appreciated.
Selling blueprints won't do anything with non-pirate factions, and selling survey data doesn't help specific factions (just speeds up the global colony expedition cycle, which is open to all eligible factions).
You can do raids (with transponder off) to weaken ORA if necessary; you'll lose rep due to (in addition to the raids themselves) getting dinged by patrols and such, but building it back up isn't too bad. Agent sabotage also works, but IIRC if you get caught doing anything serious it'll tank your rep enough to be expelled from the faction.

Propping up the stability of other factions' markets can also help, but I'm not sure the effect will be visible enough.

One thing you can do is just attack an ally openly; that'll start a war between ORA and the target, without (IIRC) your employers punishing you for it or anything.

TheTangy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4637 on: May 12, 2022, 09:34:31 AM »

You can do raids (with transponder off) to weaken ORA if necessary; you'll lose rep due to (in addition to the raids themselves) getting dinged by patrols and such, but building it back up isn't too bad. Agent sabotage also works, but IIRC if you get caught doing anything serious it'll tank your rep enough to be expelled from the faction.

One thing you can do is just attack an ally openly; that'll start a war between ORA and the target, without (IIRC) your employers punishing you for it or anything.

Thanks for this!  I attacked the Sindrian Diktat and shortly after the ORA and they declared war.  Now the ORA are fighting a two front war (I may have attacked someone else as well) which I think will grind them down.  Certainly grinding me down being hunted and attacked everywhere, good advice.

For future reference, I've never used agents before, easy to get caught?  Also, my ORA rep would go down even if I wasn't caught in raids?

SpaceDrake

• Captain
  • Mio Harcourt: fixin' the Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4638 on: May 12, 2022, 09:46:03 AM »

You can also just use console commands to make ORA smaller if you think they're too strong. In general, the console command mod is crucial for adjusting certain aspects of your game to your liking.

(That said, I've never, ever had an issue with ORA feeling too strong, even with their propensity to ally with TT.)

JohnVicres

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4639 on: May 13, 2022, 06:47:03 AM »

The console command to create alliances works fine, but the one to "break" an alliance (leavealliance) doesn't seem to work... And setrelation and adjustrelation don't do much either. Is there a console solution to breaking alliances?

qinta

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4640 on: May 13, 2022, 07:23:16 PM »

Invasions seem heavily in favor of the defender, I am attempting to invade a planet, and am limited to 150 "movement points" to deploy marines. This allows the defender to put a big stack of 1000 marines in reaction to my tiny stacks of 240 marine each turn, allowing them to eliminate my deployed units each turn with minimal losses. its frustrating because I have more marines than the defenders, but am unable to use my numbers advantage. 'i think an easy fix would be to lower the movement point cost of deploying units, but maybe increase the losses that happen on deployment  into enemy held territory, as the attacking force tries to establish a landing ground.

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4641 on: May 13, 2022, 07:47:41 PM »

The console command to create alliances works fine, but the one to "break" an alliance (leavealliance) doesn't seem to work... And setrelation and adjustrelation don't do much either. Is there a console solution to breaking alliances?

Uh, these commands work just fine for me (I use the relation ones often for campaign customization, and I often have to use leavealliance to get Rimward Venture to join the Greater Hege like they should instead of teaming up with Volkov ). Are you sure you are getting the syntax right?

Billhartnell

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4642 on: May 14, 2022, 07:00:47 AM »

Do major factions ever attack independents? I just conquered Citadel Arcadia and gave it to the indies, could I repeat this process for all their planets and have half the sector at permanent peace with me or would the Hegemony press their revanchist claims?

zsunsun

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4643 on: May 14, 2022, 09:33:32 PM »

Question on planet invasion.  I just invaded a planet and took over but ownership went to the commissioned faction instead of giving me an option like it used to.  Is there a no longer an option to take planet for myself while commissioned?  Do I have to be non-commissioned to be able to make my own planet?
I did buy governorship but looks like I will lose it when I leave commission.  Any thoughts?

JohnVicres

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4644 on: May 15, 2022, 01:04:37 AM »

Uh, these commands work just fine for me (I use the relation ones often for campaign customization, and I often have to use leavealliance to get Rimward Venture to join the Greater Hege like they should instead of teaming up with Volkov ). Are you sure you are getting the syntax right?

The relation commands work fine, I meant that they don't solve the not-leaving-alliance problem I have. Does the leavealliance command work instantly? If not, it's definitively not working for me, and/or I'm using it wrong.
The syntax that I "learned" from the console is
Code
leavealliance <faction name>
is there something else to it?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Bitbucket profile
    • Email
« Reply #4645 on: May 15, 2022, 06:05:10 PM »

Invasions seem heavily in favor of the defender, I am attempting to invade a planet, and am limited to 150 "movement points" to deploy marines. This allows the defender to put a big stack of 1000 marines in reaction to my tiny stacks of 240 marine each turn, allowing them to eliminate my deployed units each turn with minimal losses. its frustrating because I have more marines than the defenders, but am unable to use my numbers advantage. 'i think an easy fix would be to lower the movement point cost of deploying units, but maybe increase the losses that happen on deployment  into enemy held territory, as the attacking force tries to establish a landing ground.
If you're short on movement points, disrupt any defenses first (Ground Defenses, Heavy Batteries, and Planetary Shield if it has one). Bringing more ground support ships (e.g. Valkyrie) also helps.
The movement point display has a tooltip showing what exactly influences it.

Question on planet invasion.  I just invaded a planet and took over but ownership went to the commissioned faction instead of giving me an option like it used to.  Is there a no longer an option to take planet for myself while commissioned?  Do I have to be non-commissioned to be able to make my own planet?
I did buy governorship but looks like I will lose it when I leave commission.  Any thoughts?
Open the ground battle invasion intel after the battle (within 7 days) and click the button to take over.

Do major factions ever attack independents? I just conquered Citadel Arcadia and gave it to the indies, could I repeat this process for all their planets and have half the sector at permanent peace with me or would the Hegemony press their revanchist claims?
Factions will only try to retake such planets if they're hostile to independents. Normally the only such faction that can also invade in the first place (that I know of, anyway) is Legio Infernalis.

The relation commands work fine, I meant that they don't solve the not-leaving-alliance problem I have. Does the leavealliance command work instantly? If not, it's definitively not working for me, and/or I'm using it wrong.
Code
That command should work. But note that it won't do anything if the alliance is set to 'permanent', a notable example of this being the Hegemony/Iron Shell alliance at start.
(Hmm, I'll make the console command ignore permanent state and break it up anyway)

SpaceDrake

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4646 on: May 15, 2022, 06:31:32 PM »

Code

I actually had to use this again this morning, and I realized something: it doesn't trigger a pop-up message. The event is still happening, but you'll need to go into the alliance list in the intel screen to verify it's happening.

Juroguy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4647 on: May 16, 2022, 08:29:21 PM »

Is there any possible way to stop my faction specifically from getting the random events that change relations?

All my buisness partners keep spontaneously hating me, this might of already been answered but i can't find it.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 08:42:41 PM by Juroguy »

snopey1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4648 on: May 17, 2022, 01:13:50 AM »

Playing with a fair number of mods installed (24 active factions at start) and I am currently doing the Showdown quest. I gated over to the system it's meant to start out of and sat in a belt within sight and sensors of the station. Quest updates to "Defend" and I only see patrols around the station. I tried reloading (saved after getting into system for this reason) and waited again. nothing.

hm. okay I'll wait in hyper space, no Heg fleets come out of system after waiting 3 weeks. tried this twice in case I missed it.

okay. Console commands Reveal (I raised sensor strength limit to 200mil in my settings long ago) okay I can see everything in system. no heg fleets aside from patrols. big group of Roiders and Scy ships at war. lets wait. no new ships after "Defend" pops. I'm pretty lost now. go to Hyperspace and wait once more after revealing a lot of hyperspace and see no heg ships, wait for Defend and no heg ships spawn even after waiting 2 weeks.

I've seen no one else have issue of no fleets spawning when I look into google/this post, I don't want to use the runcode you provided to finish it instantly unless I have to.
I saw "put it into dev mode and add a file to Starsector > Saves > Common named nex_dev.data" but not sure how to get it to populate with system information about this quest. Or I'm not sure how to put Nex into dev mode.

Any help is appreciated, I'm off to bed for now, but will check once off work. Thank you!

Edit: I saw in a patch note that if I wait 45 days it'll auto complete and reward me. so I waited 45 days and got it a win. I'll make a copy of save if your interested.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 07:42:26 PM by snopey1 »

TheTangy

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4649 on: May 17, 2022, 01:49:35 PM »

Is there any way to stop rebellions except for giving/selling supplies to station officials?

I have a bunch of marines stored on the planet I took over for my faction, can I use them somehow?
Pages: 1 ... 308 309 [310] 311 312 ... 316