Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.95a is out! (03/26/21); Blog post: A Tale of Two Tech Levels (05/28/21)

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]

Author Topic: [0.95a] Volkov Industrial Conglomerate 1.3.2  (Read 52181 times)

SpaceDrake

• Ensign
  • Mio Harcourt: fixin' the Machine.
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Volkov Industrial Conglomerate 1.3.1
« Reply #105 on: June 16, 2021, 01:35:07 PM »

Is it possible to build another one of those yourself? Or is the whole point that, even with a commission and 100/100, VIC isn't about to license out their biggest resource?

That's exactly the point, they're not going to give away their most precious technology without a fight :p

I kind of figured, and it also helps out balance the new colony item. You want it, you either conquer Purg or part of your economy is joined at the hip to Volkov. :V Neat!

Also huh, I wasn't thinking the Oriax needed a nerf, but fair do's. Glad to see the Nybbas get some indirect love, too, and for the Pruflas to just outright get a little love (I was going to bring up that while the DD and Cruiser-scale ships seem really good, the Volkov frigates struggle a bit in .95, as does Volkov in general in NPC-on-NPC mode in Nex). Thanks for the hard work, as always!

xzardas

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Volkov Industrial Conglomerate 1.3.1
« Reply #106 on: June 16, 2021, 01:44:18 PM »

Is it possible to build another one of those yourself? Or is the whole point that, even with a commission and 100/100, VIC isn't about to license out their biggest resource?

That's exactly the point, they're not going to give away their most precious technology without a fight :p

Then they will get a fight

ShadowStalkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.95a] Volkov Industrial Conglomerate 1.3.2
« Reply #107 on: June 16, 2021, 04:53:37 PM »

i really love the design and looking foward to seeing more weaponry(specifically missle based as i havent found even one to fill the slots on my appolyons),maybe even a dreadnought ship type in this design would be interesting to see just my bias towards big ships

for feedback, i would have to say that appollyon class capital with it active system kinda gets suicidal(often actually VERY successful),if you dont set it to ascort a specific ship just it goes charging through enemy lines, often gets quickly overloaded and beaten (specially if its something like redacted ships in my cases, or just BIG ships fight),or in other cases not use it at all,its not a problem with system itself,but more of a AI thing,bcs oh boy you can do some crazy things with it on manual

and the second thing i have to say that making use of the shields mechanic sometimes gets quite painfull,its not bad,even more i would say that i like it,however you sometimes have to place your camera in to weirdest of positions so your shield will get maximum coverage....dunno about this one,its interesting and encourages you to actually position well,but dunno,maybe someday we would be able to controll shield ark regardless of camera position
whats also bothering me is that by the design,gun placement,and personal experience it feels like they ment to be front faced rather then one of the sides which kinda conflicts with it but okey

and a two little questions....can you actually change the prints on ship wings?(only noticed it on oriax so far) and how do i obtain other overhauls for the VIC ships?i havent found them in any of the shops so far and none were found in loot....do i have to fight these guys?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 05:23:36 PM by ShadowStalkar »

envenger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2021, 06:24:06 AM »

Love the evil looking ships and the theme of the mod.

This mod kind of screams endgame crisis.
I imagine there can be a late game event where this mod does a hostile takeover, over Hegemony and creates its new monster faction virus bombing everything. There would be splinter hegemony states here and there which it would invade first then go over the rampaging over the sector.

robepriority

• Commander
  • robepriority#2626
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 17, 2021, 07:22:09 AM »

In my game they allied with the Hegemony, which meant Gilead was obliterated c207.

SpaceDrake

• Ensign
  • Mio Harcourt: fixin' the Machine.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 17, 2021, 08:35:09 AM »

Yes, by default VIC has been working hard to get on the Hegemony's good side, and if someone (like, say, the player :V) doesn't work hard to put a wedge between the two, they will often end up allied.

In my own experience, though, VIC doesn't dominate that hard; even in the new patch, they kind of seem to struggle as an NPC faction. They especially have trouble with station sieges, as a lot of their ships and their AI isn't well set up for siege warfare. Taking on anything bigger than an orbital station can be a challenge for NPC VIC. It helps keep them in check, but trying to help out your commission-mates can get a bit frustrating when Apolloyons suicide against a battlestation's guns. :V

I do have to agree that the lack of medium/large missiles feels... odd? I know VIC also outright uses "base" weapons like Tach lances, but it does feel odd that they have ships with the larger missile slots and no in-house solution for arming them at all.

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #111 on: June 17, 2021, 10:07:13 AM »

If it's possible, maybe give them in-house bioweapon missiles that do negligible damage, but lower the enemy's CR if they impact armor or hull. Don't think I've ever seen a weapon that does that, makes sense in their lore, and might give their agile but fragile ships a better chance if the enemy's accuracy goes down and they start running into malfunctions. You'd have to balance the ammo and effect so they're not too strong though and find a way to make them not work against automated ships.

envenger

• Ensign
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #112 on: June 17, 2021, 10:22:41 AM »

If it's possible, maybe give them in-house bioweapon missiles that do negligible damage, but lower the enemy's CR if they impact armor or hull. Don't think I've ever seen a weapon that does that, makes sense in their lore, and might give their agile but fragile ships a better chance if the enemy's accuracy goes down and they start running into malfunctions. You'd have to balance the ammo and effect so they're not too strong though and find a way to make them not work against automated ships.

It can even kill crew making attrition fights with them hard and you take even taking on a few smaller ships of them more serious.

ShadowStalkar

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 17, 2021, 12:23:12 PM »

Yes, by default VIC has been working hard to get on the Hegemony's good side, and if someone (like, say, the player :V) doesn't work hard to put a wedge between the two, they will often end up allied.

In my own experience, though, VIC doesn't dominate that hard; even in the new patch, they kind of seem to struggle as an NPC faction. They especially have trouble with station sieges, as a lot of their ships and their AI isn't well set up for siege warfare. Taking on anything bigger than an orbital station can be a challenge for NPC VIC. It helps keep them in check, but trying to help out your commission-mates can get a bit frustrating when Apolloyons suicide against a battlestation's guns. :V

I do have to agree that the lack of medium/large missiles feels... odd? I know VIC also outright uses "base" weapons like Tach lances, but it does feel odd that they have ships with the larger missile slots and no in-house solution for arming them at all.
yes,100% on this one as personally the abyss one on appolyons front side is the only missle launcher i have found withing the faction....and tbf it have my expectations high up due to just how cool they look,i hope the others will live up to that ;3

and about tanking,its in a very weird superposition,let me explain
if the fight is about very small amount of big ships the VIC ships will most likely win at 90% rate due to how "broken" the appolyon+overhaul is in regards to sustain wall frontfire on 1v1,if you have ships bigger then you like onslaughts modded variants you just flank them and they cant do any harm to you,making them almost utterly OP if it comes to duels or low number fights
HOWEVER
at the same time ....the faction outright sucks when it comes to wall vs wall fights(for example redacted hordes),AI is just unable to pull out high skill plays overall VIC ships need and will most likely kill itself by jumping in to enemy lines early,or just overtanking and getting overloaded (like,again,the class overhaul that reduces flux capacity but makes speed at which it goes off to be insane,OP in hands of a player,suicide in hands of AI)
in some other cases the fight might be near infinite due to both your ship and enemy getting ton of hard flux,and your ship retreats instead of finishing the job,and then it repeats over and over again untill one of them just surrenders
which brings it to this weird state of superposition of being horrible and outrigth OP at the same time
aaand i have not a single clue how to get away with this issue
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 06:41:25 AM by ShadowStalkar »

Astarat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2021, 12:31:23 PM »

and a two little questions....can you actually change the prints on ship wings?(only noticed it on oriax so far) and how do i obtain other overhauls for the VIC ships?i havent found them in any of the shops so far and none were found in loot....do i have to fight these guys?

There is currently only one "Overhaul" hullmod - Shturm, meant for the Shturm-series ships.

This mod kind of screams endgame crisis.
I imagine there can be a late game event where this mod does a hostile takeover, over Hegemony and creates its new monster faction virus bombing everything. There would be splinter hegemony states here and there which it would invade first then go over the rampaging over the sector.

There are some vague plans for that, don't you worry :P

VIC missile weapons are planned for the next update, stay tuned!

AppleMarineXX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2021, 06:27:49 PM »

My compliments to the sound guy, I've been stuck at friendly VIC ports for minutes on end just to enjoy the music.

Lolpingu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 20, 2021, 06:41:21 AM »

I'm really loving the mod, both in terms of gameplay and the visual style.

It would be really nice if you could add some logistic ships (freighters and tankers or tanker/freighters like the kadur one), for those of us who like to keep our fleets faction-homogenous
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8]