Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: What are the things that annoy/frustrate you about Starsector?  (Read 100303 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: What are the things that annoy/frustrate you about Starsector?
« Reply #135 on: June 30, 2015, 11:48:41 PM »

Because it's boring? And also you'll have some troubles to get a decent combat fleet afterward due to having low reputation with everyone.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 01, 2015, 05:30:13 AM »

Boring is a price to pay for power (similar idea to AD&D wizard - suck now, rock later), no different than building an auto-resolve character (for fastest XP income) back in 0.54.  I prefer no boring parts, but if that is the price to pay to make a demigod, so be it.

You do not need to sacrifice reputation for food runs.  If you must sac rep, sell at Independents because they are the least useful faction.  Also, not all trade runs are food related.  Player can get lots of XP and money stockpiling and selling supplies, fuel, or metal at victim markets.  (Tibicena is my favorite because I check there regularly for Hyperion, Medusa, heavy blasters, and other Tri-Tachyon exclusive merchandise; and they always get a supply or fuel disruption semi-regularly.)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 01, 2015, 05:47:58 AM »

But you can't go higher than Friendly with trade! Also the factions generally don't like it if you are trading with their enemies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 01, 2015, 07:21:23 AM »

Why trade only when you can do both trade and fight?  Yes, combat XP is meager compared to trade, but it is usually possible to do it all late in the game if you have a fast enough fleet.

Trading with enemies?  Aside from pirates, the only time this is a problem is in Valhalla, which is an awful system in several ways (bad location, bad placement of objects, huge mostly empty system, small markets).  Valhalla is so bad I never go there except to kill named bounties (when they used to spawn there).  The best systems for selling things is Askonia, Magec, and Corvus.  The only time I lose rep from trading is when I trade with pirates or sell too much food to worthless Independents.  I am more at risk from losing reputation with factions by buying rare weapons and ships from their black markets.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 01, 2015, 07:36:09 AM »

Boring is a price to pay for power ...

Totally true right now for trading, but I sure hope that this is ruthlessly quashed as the game progresses. I absolutely despise this kind of thing in games (and it is incredibly common!).

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: July 01, 2015, 10:12:21 AM »

Boring is a price to pay for power ...

Totally true right now for trading, but I sure hope that this is ruthlessly quashed as the game progresses. I absolutely despise this kind of thing in games (and it is incredibly common!).

Funny thing is, this is the exact behaviour that this current trade system was supposed to "fix".

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: July 01, 2015, 10:50:49 AM »

@ Thaago:  Agreed.  I tolerate that sort of grinding for one game.  After that, it is cheat time to cut out the time middleman.  In case of Starsector, it is some way to give me lots of levels so I can save myself weeks of grinding (and use the time saved for more useful activities).

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: July 01, 2015, 08:25:53 PM »

@Megas It was the same way for me when I played Skyrim as a mage on the console - first playthrough I was ok with having all the abilities throttled as it gave time to adjust to the number of options. Later playthrough though I was really annoyed that I had to grind skill levels just to unlock abilities.

I guess the ideal situation would be for the Path to PowerTM to be exciting the whole way. I think twitch shootemups where you get bonuses after levels do that pretty well - if you're good enough to get past the boss then powerup, if not then get better :P. I wonder if we could get that kind of thing in SS? Maybe capturing an outpost that manufactures ships/weapons/money? Defeating its defenders is the boss fight? Eh, I'm just rambling now. :)

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: July 01, 2015, 11:19:54 PM »

The time between updates? (I love the quality, which is why I wish there were more updates to enjoy)
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Tartiflette

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: July 01, 2015, 11:28:50 PM »

The time between updates? (I love the quality, which is why I wish there were more updates to enjoy)
Hehe, as a modder I have mixed feeling about that ^^ A bit more frequent wouldn't be a problem, but too often and it would be a hassle to stay up-to-date!

SainnQ

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: July 09, 2015, 10:16:20 AM »

There is no way to passively kill time.

I,e you can't hold position in an asteroid belt, or simply orbit a planet or station while time just passes on by idly.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: July 09, 2015, 11:25:39 AM »

There is no way to passively kill time.

I,e you can't hold position in an asteroid belt, or simply orbit a planet or station while time just passes on by idly.

Not being able to orbit annoys me, too.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: July 09, 2015, 05:10:02 PM »

You can follow an asteroid around though   :D

Harrier77

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: July 19, 2015, 03:55:07 PM »

First off I have to say love the game! before I criticise it but there is one thing that seriously needs to be addressed:

* The most frustrating element for me is the way my ships behave in battle.  I issue a solo/group order to move to or attack X and off my ships go, stopping to attack everything within weapons range be it missiles, fighters or any other ship, often flying in completely the opposite direction to the assigned destination  This effectively means my order is ignored or that "we'll go there when we are good and ready" insubordination rules the crew :D.  I have no problem with my ships automatically reacting to hostile actions but they *must* keep on moving to the assigned target.  Players must be able to issue incontestable orders or strategy in battle goes out the window.

That's my main gripe, and frankly the only one that really detracts from the game.  I have not been so into a game like this in years and I am glad I found Starsector!

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: July 20, 2015, 01:35:12 AM »

What do I hate so far in this game?

Probably this:
Spoiler
[close]

The cookies are a weird one, okay.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17