Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Allow some way to cancel engaging maneuvers  (Read 5549 times)

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Allow some way to cancel engaging maneuvers
« on: February 20, 2015, 01:59:10 PM »

I accidentally pressed the wrong thing during a routine search with the independent faction, and went from co-operative to hostile. For all those with sudden mouse connectivity issues, could there please be a way to say "oh god no I didn't mean to do that" when performing engagement maneuvers?
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

What do you call a dog who's a magician? A labracadabra

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Allow some way to cancel engaging maneuvers
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2015, 04:19:31 PM »

If you accidentally engage instead of allowing a search to proceed you should be able to retreat and, as along as you don't damage their ships, you'll be fine.

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2015, 09:10:53 PM »

If you accidentally engage instead of allowing a search to proceed you should be able to retreat and, as along as you don't damage their ships, you'll be fine.

"As long as your ships don't automatically return fire, which they will."  Accidental engage sucks, a way to back out is really needed - especially now that the various options are hotkeyed by keys that are adjacent.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 01:34:08 AM »

"As long as your ships don't automatically return fire, which they will."  Accidental engage sucks, a way to back out is really needed - especially now that the various options are hotkeyed by keys that are adjacent.
Don't even need that: if you retreat immediately without even deploying a ship, then escape, you still get the -150 rep hit

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 05:31:53 AM »

Don't even need that: if you retreat immediately without even deploying a ship, then escape, you still get the -150 rep hit

Ouch :o I'd swear up and down it didn't used to be that way, although I never got in that situation myself. I've been burned too many times over the years to skip through risky dialogues anymore.

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 01:58:21 PM »

Yeah, especially since it's:
press 1 to allow scan
press 1 to pay toll
press 3 to leave
If you press 1 again, you engage combat maneuvers
The community's response to a change is inversely proportional to its importance.

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 07:03:07 AM »

if you quit the game during combat, it won't save, right? Isn't that enough?

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 07:36:37 AM »

if you quit the game during combat, it won't save, right? Isn't that enough?
Er, not really. What if your last save was a while ago? Also, whilst that's *a* solution it's a pretty bad one.

TheBawkHawk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 07:59:02 AM »

I would like a way to cancel engaging maneuvers. Just a simple, "Stand down and apologize" option.

If anything, even just a pop-up box asking if you're sure you want to attack a friendly fleet.

ahrenjb

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 09:36:37 AM »

Hugbox stuff. I don't think I've ever accidentally started an engagement with someone I didn't want to. Maybe that's because I actually watch the screen when I play, though.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »

If people use hotkey, accidental double-press of 1 at a bad time can start combat.  This is bad.

Similarly, in older versions of Transcendence, I utterly ruined a few games by accidentally double-press I (for Shatter power).

nomadic_leader

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:15 AM »

Well this is the drawback of SS design choice- combat and campaign are so separate, and there is a highly artificial, gamey border between them that can be bridged with an accidental click. (Not that I expect such a fundamental thing to be changed at this point, though it is sort of the Achilles heel of the game)

What if it auto-saved each time you took off from a planet? I often forget to save as well.

What you're asking for now means more "are you sure?" dialogs and boxes. Taken to its extreme maybe you'd be happiest with constant quick-save and quick-loading, which is a loathsome mechanic.

This has never happened to me, but if it really is a scourge for so many people, I guess if the confirmation dialog has a "don't show this again" checkbox it would be tolerable. It still seems unnecessary somehow.

Talkie Toaster

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 05:59:46 AM »

What you're asking for now means more "are you sure?" dialogs and boxes. Taken to its extreme maybe you'd be happiest with constant quick-save and quick-loading, which is a loathsome mechanic.
If it's just for friendly fleets, it's hardly going to be constant- not least because it will dramatically reduce the number of friendly fleets you encounter!

Aratoop

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 02:13:52 PM »

Hugbox stuff. I don't think I've ever accidentally started an engagement with someone I didn't want to. Maybe that's because I actually watch the screen when I play, though.
Except if you get bored going through a toll, or are in a hurry, and press the same button just once more than necessary, then you'll go from 100/100 relations to war. That isn't a problem that deserves passive-aggressively calling a change "Hugbox stuff", when literally one misclick drastically effects the game (especially if you forget to save frequently, which is possible)

EDIT: A possible solution is such that after paying the toll, there is only the option to leave, since I don't ever see a situation wherein after paying the toll you'd want to instantly attack.

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 02:24:58 PM »

Simple solution: You refuse to pay, the other commander reads you your space-rights and gives you the option to smarten up before he blasts you to bits.
Pages: [1] 2