Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Still dont understand the market workings, help?  (Read 1774 times)

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
Still dont understand the market workings, help?
« on: February 17, 2015, 06:12:06 AM »

It's been ages by now since 0.65.1 release, but I still don't understand how a few things about market are supposed to work. It would be great if anyone could educate me.

1. My main problem is with "prices updated" notifications. I get these here and there, but have no idea what to make out of them. So, there's a line in the lover left corner of main screen "market prices on XXX has been updated". As such, this notification doesn't give me any benifits, but it implies there's some place, or interface, where this market prices are listed, or what else could have been updated if there's no such place? So, I'm clicking on this notifications icon, and it takes me to the intel screen, where this notification is elaborated into "prices for food, water and spare parts on XXX has been updated". Fine, cool, now I know which exactly prices was updated, but I still have no idea how I could access this updated prices, so what is the use of this updating? The whole story with market updates makes me feel like there's some accessible list of prices per item per planet hidden somewhere, but I wasn't able to find it despite my dedicated attempt to.

2. How exactly am I supposed to create market instability and then be able to profit on it? I take it I had to destroy trade fleets around certain dockable entity (planet for short) for some time, then this planet will have some prices widely changed so as to allow me to sell certain goods bought from other planets for profit. But the thing is, to destabilize certain planet I have to kill trade fleets near this planet, and obviously most of these will be of the same allegiance. As I understand this means that I can't at the same time destabilize planet and be able to trade with it. Obviously there should be more consistency behind this mechanics, what am I missing?

3. Comm satellites. Upon approaching, I have the option to wiretap these, which is labeled as a "risky business". So what am I risking for? Increase in aforementioned market updates frequency, that's all, or there's some other benefits in wiretapping?

Whew that was long, thanks for reading and more so for any explanations :)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Still dont understand the market workings, help?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 06:27:33 AM »

This should answer your first question.

For #3, I'm not sure if anyone other than Alex knows for certain, but I think it increases the number of updates you get and also gives early warning of upcoming food shortages.

Factions often send their trade fleets to other factions' markets, so you could kill those if you don't mind *** that faction off (it's a bit silly how they don't mind killing their friends in their space at all). Though I think in general we'll just have to wait for Alex to implement more market destabilisation features.

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 10:32:41 AM »

Hey Histidine, lot of thanks for your response - it answers all my questions perfectly!

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »

This should answer your first question.
For #3, I'm not sure if anyone other than Alex knows for certain, but I think it increases the number of updates you get and also gives early warning of upcoming food shortages.
Also, factions give you access to their comm net if you are at the cooperative level, which is the same thing without the risk of getting bad rep for getting caught
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too