Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14

Author Topic: Tactics, anyone?  (Read 56243 times)

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Tactics, anyone?
« Reply #150 on: February 20, 2012, 04:01:17 PM »

No, science fiction is about making fiction about science. If all you want to do is have fun then go muck about in fantasy. It's not like fantasy can't have 'spaceships' or silly fighters and swooping flying vehicles; look at Final Fantasy.

A fighter that doesn't have a carrier is just a small warship. I have no problem with those. If you were reading any of my posts, I even said that a warship could have one crewman if the automation was good enough.

If you want to define a fighter as a small warship then we have no more argument. Those are perfectly viable, albeit short ranged and lacking staying power, a tradeoff for greater short term agility. If you insist on fighters which are not made for independent operation and must rearm and refuel at a mother ship, then I am happy to continue hammering home the same points I've been saying all day.

At the end of the day, I don't really care what you call it-- weapons in space that fly out, deliver ordnance, and then have to fly back, WHATEVER YOU CALL IT, make no sense, and I have never argued against anything else.
:/ no matter what kind of delivery system u use u have to rearm sooner or later. sense i found it?
 and the carrier thing was never my issue im perfectly fine having small fighter that can take off from planet fly around the system 20 times kick some ass and come back home to rearm ^^
and 90% of science fiction has nothing to do with science... the remaining 10% are not called science fiction but science documentaries...
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:02:52 PM by SgtAlex86 »

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: February 20, 2012, 04:03:55 PM »

'Independent operation' is a bit of a nebulous phrase, but basically I would define a warship's operational window in terms of months before resupply, and a 'fighter's operational window in terms of days or less.

But yes, we are in agreement. In my mind, you've just described a frigate or gunboat, but if you want to call it a fighter I don't particularly care.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2012, 04:04:36 PM »

For me, the choice is pretty clear. I accept FTL and other stuff because it makes sci fi in a traditional sense possible. I don't accept star fighters because I don't think they're necessary and I think they're /too/ unrealistic. I don't have any hate for anyone who thinks otherwise, and, as I said, if you WANT star fighters, fine. Just accept that they make no sense-- as opposed to less sense, like a battleship would be.

Why is it so important for you that others accept your point of view?  Do you particularly enjoy dominating other people?  You will allow them to WANT fighters, but they must accept your point of view that fighters make no sense, for some reason.  

Please explain your motivation.  Are you just 100% certain of the veracity of your personal viewpoint, and are overwhelmed by a need to spread the gospel of truth in regards to fighters in Sci-Fi?
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 20, 2012, 04:08:45 PM »

It may be somewhat difficult for observers to track at this point, but I am not imposing my opinion on anyone else beyond pointing out the obvious logical and scientific flaws in their arguments.

I made an offhanded comment about star fighters not making any sense, and people chose to come at me. What happened after that is their doing, entirely, and I don't see why defending a factual point of view could be considered domineering.

If you're asking me a more philosophical question about whether I enjoy the sensation of being better than other people, well, of course I do. Everyone does. It's how you measure your worth. I don't go out of my way to put people down, and I've kept this discussion on topic while others have chosen to come at my character, yourself included, but yes, if it comes my way I don't see why I have to be guilty about enjoying the occasional stupidity of people on the internet.

The idea is that the various tech levels represent different - not "better" - ways to do things.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: February 20, 2012, 04:21:40 PM »

You keep calling terrestrial battles irrelevant however its clear all ships in starfarer that are in campaign mode operate inside an atmosphere. Aside from the hegemony fleets and independent ones they land on a planet. While we don't do any combat on a planet in the game there are ships taking off and landing on planets this means they need to be able to perform their duties on a planet. This isn't pure space fighters they might be primarily space fighters but they have other roles.

If you don't believe me play campaign and camp outside one of the planets that is a spawn, fleets go into it like they would a carrier.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 20, 2012, 04:24:05 PM »

Irrelevant to the topic of whether or not a SPACE FIGHTER is a viable SPACE WEAPON.

And for the last time, I'm not talking about Starfarer. I accept that Starfarer has fighters, Alex has chosen to accept the trope of space fighters for a wider gameplay experience. I am talking about real life, real physics.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 20, 2012, 04:26:05 PM »

And Real life weapons perform a multitude of roles. The military doesn't like specialization in its weapons systems for some stupid reason. For example the airforce hates the A-10 even though its the best Close air support.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 20, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

Look. A 'space fighter', if it existed, would be an orbital spacecraft. It'd be good at striking targets on the surface and in orbit, because it can actually hide behind something-- the horizon-- in that environment.

But that takes place within an entirely different set of conditions than fighting outside gravity wells and beyond the orbits of planets and moons. What you're asking isn't for an A-10, you're asking for a coast guard riverboat to go up against a US Navy missile cruiser.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 04:34:44 PM by Iscariot »

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 20, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »

You've never heard of Asymmetric warfare? Load that boat full of explosives and go next to that Cruiser. Thats what happened with the Cole but instead of a coastguard ship(they can get pretty big) It was more of a zodiac.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 20, 2012, 06:33:15 PM »

And I'm sure that could happen to a space warship if it spent too much time in orbit. But that's not a tactic that you can easily use, and it's certainly not a tactic you can rely upon space fighters to perform again and again. The Cole was in port when it got blown up, and it didn't even get sunk.

I suppose I should have been more clear. You're trying to tell me that a Coast Guard Zodiac can be of ANY USE AT ALL in the open seas against a US Navy Missile Cruiser, which is preposterous.

I am not arguing about orbital operations-- that is a different thing all together. I am arguing about space operations.

Simberto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 21, 2012, 12:09:08 AM »

I am not really convinced. The main difference between fightercraft and missiles is that they serve completely different goals. A missile is supposed to go somewhere and explode, while a fighter is supposed to go somewhere, do something, and then return. At least that is how i understand it. Now, this means that a lot of the stuff you build into the fighter will be used multiple times. Sure, if all you worry about is fuel efficiency/payload, a missile is obviously better. Though i also would not agree with the *4 factor you guys use, since that assume that the ideal way to rerendevous with the mothership is to completely decelerate, accelerate into the opposite direction and then decelerate again to meet the mothership. While that might be true in absolutely empty space, if you have some gravity wells in the area you probably can have a cheaper return voyage.

You're probably right here, although designing a strikecraft with the idea that you'll always have gravity wells around seems like poor design choices. If I were, for some reason, designing a space fighter, I would work from the baseline assumption that no gravity wells were around, just to be safe.

You're also forgetting that whatever payload it drops needs fuel too, and that fuel doesn't do ANYTHING for the fighter as it moves, it just slows it down.

I was not forgetting anything. How the fighter delivers its ordinance is fundamentally not relevant for this discussion. Of course, you wouldn't design your fighter around the assumption that gravity wells are around, but you can plan your attack around those, and thus take the amount of fuel with you that you need. You can expect an empty fuel canister to be of a smaller mass then a full one, so it would have an impact, but again is not really relevant for this debate. Also, fighters probably don't need to return to the mothership at combat speeds, so you could safe fuel here, too.

But that is besides the point anyways. Fuel efficiency per payload is probably not the most important thing for space weaponry.

I'm going to stop you right there. Are you familiar with F=ma? That's force equals mass times acceleration. We can move the equation around to get a = F/m, or acceleration equals force divided by mass. Fuel weighs mass, and it will always weigh mass because a reactionless engine violates conservation of mass and energy. The cost of the fuel is besides the point-- your space fighter is hauling a ridiculous amount of fuel around with it, fuel that has to be stored, protected, and whose enormous tanks will continue to weigh your fighter down even when empty. A fighter is slower, more vulnerable, thanks to its massive fuel tanks, and inevitably delivers a smaller payload than a missile. What is the advantage?

People seem to be getting tripped up on this whole 'reuseability thing'. Reuseability is a great thing when the thing you're reusing is really useful, but what does a space fighter do to its payload that's an advantage? Whatever it launches is going to be subject to whatever perceived flaws you have of missiles one way or another. If you think a missile is more vulnerable to point defense than a space fighter (for some reason) then a space fighter launching missiles is just as likely to have its payload neutralized as it was before-- in fact, more so since its missiles would inevitably be smaller than if you had just launched a missile of equal mass.

This is the core point about missiles and fighters in space that people don't understand. THEY ARE THE SAME THINGS. There is NO inherent advantage to having something come back other than the fact that you're getting something back. That confers no actual advantage to anything you're doing, other than forcing sci fi to emulate surface navies for no goddamned reason. If you want a fighter weighting 4 to deliver a missile weighing 1, why would you be happy when you get the 4 back when you could have just used the missile? In the end, a missile weighing 1 is still on target.

It would be nice if you would be a bit less condescending. I do indeed know basic physics. Now, what you seem to be getting hung up on are those "massive fuel tanks". Lets talk numbers for a moment. To accelerate 1 kg of mass to 0.01c (which sounds like a reasonable ballpark of what you might want in space combat), you need 4.5*10^12 J energy. I was calculating classically here because i was to lazy to do it relativistically, but the change through relativity should not be exceedingly large at that speed anyways. Now, if you use kerosine or rocket fuel, that is indeed quite a lot, especially since you would need to accelerate the remaining parts of that fuel at all points in time, too. However, in the best case, you have some sort of annihilation reaction where you would be able to do a complete mass-energy transfer. 4.5*10^12 J have a mass equivalent of 5*10^-5kg, or about a twentieth of a gram. So even if you need to accelerate and decelerate twice, in the best case where you get 100% efficiency out of your fuel, you would need about 0.2 grams of fuel per kg of fighter. Of course, this is very much a best-case scenario. Any realistic engine will have a lower efficiency, probably far lower. However, that fuel efficiency, and the efficiency of the fuel itself, are something that is very much dependent on the technology involved, and not limited by the simplest of physics. Indeed, annihilation reactions with 100% efficiency are known even now.

This might involve shields, guidance systems, PD systems, scramblers, cloaking technology, etc... If any of those or others are far more expensive then fuel and fuel storage on the mothership, and also bolster the probability of hitting the target by a large margin, it can increase the fighters effectiveness beyond that of missiles. Basically, you only need something that increases the probability of hitting your target by a percentage large enough to offset the larger amount of missiles you could launch which would make fightercraft cheaper in total because of the increased probability of retrieving the tech (over 0 for a rocket)

Cloaking is complete nonsense and I'll not repeat myself on this. Stealth is impossible in space. Period. Again, the 'costs' of fuel and fuel storage aren't just economic ones, they're costs in agility and in tactical flexibility. A carrier is slow and can only launch as much offensive power as it has fighter wings. A missile boat can keep launching everything it's got if it feels like it.

This does not make sense. I don't really care about stealth in space, so i won't argue that point any further. As you stated, the main difference between a fighter and a missile is that the fighter is supposed to return while the missile is not. Since there is a lot of space in space, the bomber can even fly a pretty much similar trajectory to a missile with only very minor changes to barely miss the enemy ship while having its payload hit it. And so, the carrier can only launch as many fighters as it has fighter wings, and the missile boat can only launch as many missiles as it has missiles. That is both obvious and very uninteresting. A carrier will probably have less fighters then a missile boat has missiles, but not necessarily by a very large margin.
Now, it is completely dependent on how that technology works whether fightercraft can be better than missiles or not.

No. Technology can't apply to missiles and not apply to unmanned fighters. Now, if you're talking about manned fighters, I've already laughed at you enough, so you can go back and read some of my other posts about why that's hilariously stupid. Any technology that can be applied to fighters can be applied to a missile. If it isn't economical to apply to a missile then it is LESS economical to apply to a fighter, because the fighter is just a missile that needs to come back, and consequently delivers a smaller payload slower and more clumsily.

You did not read what i wrote. Also, i feel the need to state this again, you could really be less condescending. It is quite annoying. Technology can very much apply to missiles and not to fighters. Unless your war consist of exactly one single battle, reusability is very much relevant. War is most often won by economics. Thus, cost efficiency of your weaponry becomes interesting. While you can surely have your first wave of missiles be exactly the same as fighters would be (- the return plan), if some of the fighters return to the baseship after some fights, the longer the war goes on, the better the situation for the fighter-user becomes. If only half of your fighters return home after each bombing run, they only need to be more then half as useful as a missile to be worth it in an infinite war.

It becomes a simple cost-result calculation. There is also a possibility that there is an other point where cheaper missiles again outperform the fighters with more expensive tech on board through sheer mass, which is what i assumed was the more probable situation. And in that case, it is indeed important, because the cheaper missiles won't have all the tech the fighter uses on board, because they are cheaper. If you want to only talk about missiles = fighters without a return plan, then you just need to calculate cost efficiency. The only difference is that some fighters will return, and fighters will perform less good then missiles in a single fight. By how much is dependent on the propulsion technology, which determines how much of a fighter/missiles consists of fuel storage. If you are only talking about a single fight in a war, missiles are superior. The longer the war persists, the more effect the reusability of your fighters has. And depending on the coefficients, fighters with sufficiently efficient engines will be superior to missiles in a sufficiently long war.

maqzek

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: February 21, 2012, 02:14:34 AM »

Cloaking is complete nonsense and I'll not repeat myself on this. Stealth is impossible in space. Period.

Cloaking is a viable tactic. Stealth is possible. I will not repeat myself.

I can do this too.

As long as you stop projecting current physics law and current tech levels 1000 years into the future, this debate will have a meaning.

Also, as long as you accept that behind every missile program there is a human that wrote this program, human will always be smarter than a missile.

That is all.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 21, 2012, 06:07:02 AM »

I was not forgetting anything. How the fighter delivers its ordinance is fundamentally not relevant for this discussion. Of course, you wouldn't design your fighter around the assumption that gravity wells are around, but you can plan your attack around those, and thus take the amount of fuel with you that you need. You can expect an empty fuel canister to be of a smaller mass then a full one, so it would have an impact, but again is not really relevant for this debate. Also, fighters probably don't need to return to the mothership at combat speeds, so you could safe fuel here, too.

Sure, they don't need to return to the mothership at combat speeds, but that doesn't change the fact that they have to at LEAST null their delta-v, which means they need at least double the burn of their initial 'combat' burn. Personally, I wouldn't want to stick around in an area after I just tried to bomb a ship, if I wanted the strikecraft back. I would want to burn back at at LEAST combat speeds because that is the worst possible situation, and you design for that, not a rosy picture where you eliminate the enemy threat and can leisurely take your time coming back-- and even if you did eliminate the enemy threat, who's to say that there aren't other targets to hit that require you to rearm?

A fighter requires at least four burns, one to get you started, one to null your delta v after you've made your run, one to push yourself back, and one to null that delta-v so you can dock without kinetic-killing your own carrier, and you need fuel to maneuver on top of that.

It would be nice if you would be a bit less condescending. I do indeed know basic physics. Now, what you seem to be getting hung up on are those "massive fuel tanks". Lets talk numbers for a moment. To accelerate 1 kg of mass to 0.01c (which sounds like a reasonable ballpark of what you might want in space combat), you need 4.5*10^12 J energy. I was calculating classically here because i was to lazy to do it relativistically, but the change through relativity should not be exceedingly large at that speed anyways. Now, if you use kerosine or rocket fuel, that is indeed quite a lot, especially since you would need to accelerate the remaining parts of that fuel at all points in time, too. However, in the best case, you have some sort of annihilation reaction where you would be able to do a complete mass-energy transfer. 4.5*10^12 J have a mass equivalent of 5*10^-5kg, or about a twentieth of a gram. So even if you need to accelerate and decelerate twice, in the best case where you get 100% efficiency out of your fuel, you would need about 0.2 grams of fuel per kg of fighter. Of course, this is very much a best-case scenario. Any realistic engine will have a lower efficiency, probably far lower. However, that fuel efficiency, and the efficiency of the fuel itself, are something that is very much dependent on the technology involved, and not limited by the simplest of physics. Indeed, annihilation reactions with 100% efficiency are known even now.

I don't see what bearing the efficiency of the reaction has on this discussion. An efficient reaction merely means a missile can go that much faster and maneuver that much more than a fighter, given that its fuel consumption is at least 75% less, given its mission parameters.

I apologize if I sound condescending to you, but I'm barely even reading nameplates at this point, people have been coming at me all of yesterday and half of the day before that and none of what they're saying passes any kind of muster so I'm getting a little annoyed.

This does not make sense. I don't really care about stealth in space, so i won't argue that point any further. As you stated, the main difference between a fighter and a missile is that the fighter is supposed to return while the missile is not. Since there is a lot of space in space, the bomber can even fly a pretty much similar trajectory to a missile with only very minor changes to barely miss the enemy ship while having its payload hit it. And so, the carrier can only launch as many fighters as it has fighter wings, and the missile boat can only launch as many missiles as it has missiles. That is both obvious and very uninteresting. A carrier will probably have less fighters then a missile boat has missiles, but not necessarily by a very large margin.

Yes, necessarily by a very large margin. By its nature, a carrier has devote mass to mechanisms to retrieve, rearm, and maintain its fighters. These are all mass penalties. A missileboat of similar size can simply use all that wasted mass on engines, bigger missile magazines, or other weapon systems. That is without talking about the inherent mass differences between an object designed to deliver a particular mass of ordnance and come back an object designed that same ordnance and not do so.

Which is, again, besides the point. At the end of the day, a carrier is restricted by how many missile it has ALSO. It just puts them out slower and more inefficiently.

To address your impressions on the viability of a bomber let me ask you, what are the things that a bomber has to do to put rounds on target? Well, it has to hit with its ordnance, and it has to itself evade fire and the target during its time-on-target, and then it can go back. A missile just has to hit with its ordnance. So let me ask you fighter people again: what is the actual advantage of sending a fighter instead of a missile? Again, reuseability is nice, but only if you're reusing something that produces an edge in delivery, or else what's the point.

On Earth, an F/A-18C carries four or so sidewinders because if you tried to fire those sidewinders from a carrier, they'd run out of fuel from having to fight gravity the whole way and splash into the ocean. The F/A-18C makes sense as a delivery device-- it uses less fuel because it has wings and is therefore an efficient delivery device to go places where the carrier cannot. They operate in fundamentally different mediums, the plane and the carrier, and under gravity. In space, those sidewinders can go just as far as the F/A-18C, and the carrier is operating in the same medium and go to the same places, so why wouldn't you just carry sidewinders? Imagine how many sidewinders you could fit in the space of a single 17,000 kilogram F/A-18C.

You did not read what i wrote. Also, i feel the need to state this again, you could really be less condescending. It is quite annoying. Technology can very much apply to missiles and not to fighters. Unless your war consist of exactly one single battle, reusability is very much relevant. War is most often won by economics. Thus, cost efficiency of your weaponry becomes interesting. While you can surely have your first wave of missiles be exactly the same as fighters would be (- the return plan), if some of the fighters return to the baseship after some fights, the longer the war goes on, the better the situation for the fighter-user becomes. If only half of your fighters return home after each bombing run, they only need to be more then half as useful as a missile to be worth it in an infinite war.

Again, sorry for the condescension.

You'll have to explain how technology can apply to missiles and not to fighters to me, because that's utterly preposterous. If you just took a space fighter and flew it into the enemy craft instead of launching its payload and coming back, that would be a missile, and therefore whatever you could put on that fighter you could put on a missile.

Again, I'm still not understanding your argument on cost efficiency. Why is it cost efficient to spend four times the fuel to deliver the same ordnance?

It becomes a simple cost-result calculation. There is also a possibility that there is an other point where cheaper missiles again outperform the fighters with more expensive tech on board through sheer mass, which is what i assumed was the more probable situation. And in that case, it is indeed important, because the cheaper missiles won't have all the tech the fighter uses on board, because they are cheaper. If you want to only talk about missiles = fighters without a return plan, then you just need to calculate cost efficiency. The only difference is that some fighters will return, and fighters will perform less good then missiles in a single fight. By how much is dependent on the propulsion technology, which determines how much of a fighter/missiles consists of fuel storage. If you are only talking about a single fight in a war, missiles are superior. The longer the war persists, the more effect the reusability of your fighters has. And depending on the coefficients, fighters with sufficiently efficient engines will be superior to missiles in a sufficiently long war.

You're making an assumption here that missiles can't have the exact same onboard tech as fighters. I agree that it wouldn't necessarily economical to spend all the tech you can to defend a warhead, but spending all the tech you can to defend a smaller warhead makes even less sense, and a fighter will definitely deliver a smaller warhead-- or other weapon-- than a missile of the same mass.

If staying power is the concern carry more missiles. You're going to have to do that anyway, even if you were using fighters to deliver those missiles, since at the end of the day, the carrier is just using up ammo. It's just using some of that magazine space for a useless sabot that comes back.

Iscariot

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 21, 2012, 06:15:29 AM »

I can do this too.

As long as you stop projecting current physics law and current tech levels 1000 years into the future, this debate will have a meaning.

I said I wouldn't reiterate myself on stealth and I shan't: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacewardetect.php#id--There_Ain't_No_Stealth_In_Space

As to your other 'points':

Quote from: Atomic Rocket
"Maybe A Future Scientific Breakthrough Will Let Me Have My Way"

This argument usually takes the form of "Well, they said that man would never break the sound barrier either, but they were wrong!".

That formation of the argument is doubly suspect, since if you do the research there does not appear to be any scientist on the record who actually stated that breaking the sound barrier was impossible. For one thing, bullets were breaking the sound barrier almost since the invention of gunpowder. Heck, whips have been doing it since the invention of whips. The "crack" of a whip is actually a the tip of the whip creating a tiny sonic boom.

But the core of the argument is that maybe some future scientific breakthrough will remove all those pesky scientific theories that are keeping the author from doing what they want.

First off, from the standpoint of probability, there is at least a 50% chance that any new scientific breakthrough will actually make it harder to do what you want. There was an amusing SF story by George R. R. Martin called "FTA" where scientists discovered how to enter hyperspace. They were initially jubilant, with visions of FTL starships and Nobel prizes dancing in their heads. Their hopes were quickly dashed when they found out that the speed of light in hyperspace was slower than in our universe.

But actually it is probably a better than 50% chance that a breakthrough will make matters worse. And this will still be a problem if you try to declare by authorial fiat that the breakthrough is indeed in your favor. Let me explain.

Correspondence Principle

The general rule is what physicists call the correspondence principle or the Classical limit. This states that any new theory must give the same answers as the old theory where the old theory has been confirmed by experiment. Newton's laws and Einstein's Relativity give the same answers in ordinary conditions, they only give different answers in extreme conditions such as near the speed of light, refining the accuracy of the GPS system, or calculating the orbit of Mercury (none of which Newton could confirm by experiment).

Which means if you just state that in the year 2525 Professor XYZ came up with the "Take THAT, Einstein!" theory of FTL travel, you still have a problem. You have to explain how the TTE theory allows FTL flight while still giving the same answers that relativity theory did for all those experiments it confirmed. Experiments that were accurate to quite a few decimal points.

If you feel that current physics law will be overruled and overwritten, I heartily suggest that you take a leap off your local skyscraper, because if physical law is suspect, then what about theory? And that is how gravitation is described by scientists, as a part of the theory of general relativity.

Also, as long as you accept that behind every missile program there is a human that wrote this program, human will always be smarter than a missile.

I don't accept that, and I don't accept your conclusion from it either, nor do I think 'smarts' are the only metric by which you can measure the usefulness of a weapon. You could be Einstein-- though you are clearly not-- literally infinitely smarter than the bullet I've fired at your head and it wouldn't make a goddamned difference. Einstein was certainly smarter than Samuel Colt, but that does not render the 1911 an ineffective weapon.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:24:21 AM by Iscariot »

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: February 21, 2012, 06:33:49 AM »

I can do this too.

I said I wouldn't reiterate myself on stealth and I shan't: http://www.projectrho.com/rocket/spacewardetect.php#id--There_Ain't_No_Stealth_In_Space

As to your other 'points':

Quote from: Atomic Rocket
"Maybe A Future Scientific Breakthrough Will Let Me Have My Way"

This argument usually takes the form of "Well, they said that man would never break the sound barrier either, but they were wrong!".

That formation of the argument is doubly suspect, since if you do the research there does not appear to be any scientist on the record who actually stated that breaking the sound barrier was impossible. For one thing, bullets were breaking the sound barrier almost since the invention of gunpowder. Heck, whips have been doing it since the invention of whips. The "crack" of a whip is actually a the tip of the whip creating a tiny sonic boom.

But the core of the argument is that maybe some future scientific breakthrough will remove all those pesky scientific theories that are keeping the author from doing what they want.

First off, from the standpoint of probability, there is at least a 50% chance that any new scientific breakthrough will actually make it harder to do what you want. There was an amusing SF story by George R. R. Martin called "FTA" where scientists discovered how to enter hyperspace. They were initially jubilant, with visions of FTL starships and Nobel prizes dancing in their heads. Their hopes were quickly dashed when they found out that the speed of light in hyperspace was slower than in our universe.

But actually it is probably a better than 50% chance that a breakthrough will make matters worse. And this will still be a problem if you try to declare by authorial fiat that the breakthrough is indeed in your favor. Let me explain.

Correspondence Principle

The general rule is what physicists call the correspondence principle or the Classical limit. This states that any new theory must give the same answers as the old theory where the old theory has been confirmed by experiment. Newton's laws and Einstein's Relativity give the same answers in ordinary conditions, they only give different answers in extreme conditions such as near the speed of light, refining the accuracy of the GPS system, or calculating the orbit of Mercury (none of which Newton could confirm by experiment).

Which means if you just state that in the year 2525 Professor XYZ came up with the "Take THAT, Einstein!" theory of FTL travel, you still have a problem. You have to explain how the TTE theory allows FTL flight while still giving the same answers that relativity theory did for all those experiments it confirmed. Experiments that were accurate to quite a few decimal points.

If you feel that current physics law will be overruled and overwritten, I heartily suggest that you take a leap off your local skyscraper, because if physical law is suspect, then what about theory? And that is how gravitation is described by scientists, as a part of the theory of general relativity.

I don't accept that, and I don't accept your conclusion from it either, nor do I think 'smarts' are the only metric by which you can measure the usefulness of a weapon. You could be Einstein-- though you are clearly not-- literally infinitely smarter than the bullet I've fired at your head and it wouldn't make a goddamned difference. Einstein was certainly smarter than Samuel Colt, but that does not render the 1911 an ineffective weapon.
u really should stop calling people idiots when u think urself as some sort of nostaradamus that knows what science has figured out in 1000 years
and theory of gravity is called theory because...? it could be wrong ;) thats why. sure theory of gravity being wrong wouldnt change up is up down is down but it could change the formula its calculated on...
and the rate of scientific discoveries is not going down its going up with new stuff invented all the time...
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 06:37:54 AM by SgtAlex86 »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14