Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Bind "ESC" key to menus for "exit"  (Read 1627 times)

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Bind "ESC" key to menus for "exit"
« on: February 12, 2015, 03:05:47 PM »

Hi Alex!

I'm not having any serious issues adjusting to the new menu shortcut keys in the new version, except that ESC doesn't quit out of things anymore.  I used to do stuff in station and when I was done could just kind of mash ESC until I was back in space.  It would be nice if dialogs that had a "get out of here" option - either leaving stations, fleet interactions, choices that just say "Leave" or "Continue" or whatever were bound to that key (or a key of some kind.)  That obviously wouldn't apply to any dialog with ramifications ("comms, pursue, let them leave" or the like) but it'd be nice to have a single go-to button that says "I get it, let's move on" since the 12345 options in the actual menus won't always have "proceed" as the same key.  Hopefully that makes sense!

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Bind "ESC" key to menus for "exit"
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 04:07:13 PM »

Don't worry, I've already seen Alex say something about reimplementing that. I've been doing it off and on, too, so you're not alone :P

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 04:07:51 PM »

Actually, the reasonable compromise is moving the Leave/Gtfo/Close option to 1 on all dialogues. Escape as an universal 'brake through' will break things sometimes and it would be better to work through the menus to leave, something that can be designed for.

I have the same muscle memory issues though, no doubt about it. :)

A friend can play Dwarf Fortress like playing a piano, and for me that game which i can do that at is Starsector.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 04:18:03 PM »

universal 'brake break through'

I think you are talking about something different from what we're talking about (or at least what I'm talking about). I don't want an Elder Scrolls style instantly leave conversation button, I just want esc to always select the leave option. It's especially jarring in stations where esc will back you out of the cargo, fleet, or whatever screen, but then you have to hit 5 to leave the station when you used to be able to just hit esc again.