Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Want to Make a Ship From my Sketch  (Read 3773 times)

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Want to Make a Ship From my Sketch
« on: February 06, 2015, 09:06:46 PM »

So I've been wanting to make a mod for quite some time now, and have just now decided to actually attempt it. Being a decent artist with pencil and paper, I took to sketching basic line work for ships and decided to try making those sketches into a ship image using gimp. It seems like it should be so simple, but I just cannot do it, so I was wondering if you guys would like to take a crack at it or to help me with this (I have become very frustrated, been trying for hours).

Just follow the lines. If I have success with this, I will post more photos and hopefully get a dev thread for Damascus going. Hehehe you guys'll love Damascus.

"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Want to Make a Ship From my Sketch
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 12:24:39 AM »

Hey mate, those are some cool ship designs! I had a little time to paint the top one for you, which I made using Gimp. You may have had something else in mind in regards to the colour and style but feel free to use it if you like :) I made it something in-between a frigate and destroyer so I guess a light destroyer would fit best. Like I said I used Gimp (An awesome program especially since its free) and a graphics tablet which makes painting much easier, so maybe its something you could consider if you haven't got one. Basically I used a 3 pixel brush to paint out the general shape using roughly 4 different colours/shades then I used a 1 pixel brush to detail it, clean it up and add greeble. Also I recommend looking at the vanilla sprites as well to get ideas.

Let me know if you want any other advise although I'm only just learning too. Cheers :)

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 05:59:32 AM »

To be brutally honest I had something completely different in mind as far as color and style, but I like your vision better in a lot of ways. I appreciate the assist. Also, what type of graphics tablet do you use? EDIT: I forgot to say that it's my fault for not labeling hard points, color zones, or giving a specific style so it's really no big deal. Also it was a light destroyer/heavy frigate type of ship so you totally nailed it.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 06:07:49 AM by Jay2Jay »
"The greatest pleasure is to vanquish your enemies and chase them before you, to rob them of their wealth and see those dear to them bathed in tears, to ride their horses and clasp to your bosom their wives and daughters." ~Ghengis Khan

Shellster

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 04:31:32 PM »

No problem, I use a Wacom Intuos Pro, which was also recommended to me. The Small and Medium sizes are the most popular I think and either one would be great for creating sprites, depends on how much drawing space you feel comfortable with and the size of your monitor.

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 05:39:05 PM »

Cool, I just bought a regular intuos about an hour after that post. It's going to take some real getting used to. That's beside the point though, thanks for helping me out.

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 10:47:58 PM »

It appears I may have given a shot to this design.

And it appears it may have been far from it.

This is what I made so far.

I do heard you like Black and White so, I managed to throw it in and made it look like so. Apparently, I feel different in making ships with designs rather than randomly kitbash every component I see that is available in vanilla.

That said, I admit that I kitbashed a little way too far with my Protonian designs.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 10:51:40 PM by Protonus »

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

Jay2Jay

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 08:28:40 AM »

Ya know, if you removed the two hull things in the middle it looks actually very very close to what I had in mind. But if i take that standard away, it looks like the two outside pieces were kinda glued on to the ship. Every piece looks good individually but all together it kind doesn't work :( But hey, your on the right track!

Protonus

• Captain
  • AAAAAAAAAAAA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2015, 06:58:16 PM »

Okay. I got it.

The armor just looks pretty poor at the middle section, realistically speaking.

The cookies are a weird one, okay.

EI

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2015, 07:06:04 PM »

I want that ship. @p@
You know what happens when I raise the "alarm"~ <3