Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Shield subsystem idea  (Read 6415 times)

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Shield subsystem idea
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

Don't septuple post, please. Double posting is frowned upon, especially when you can delete posts, so 7 posts is just ridiculous.

I believe the lore of Starsector is such that building new types of spaceships is beyond the technical capabilities of anyone in the Sector. They just don't know how to make many of the key systems a Sector ship needs to operate. That almost certainly includes hyperspace equipment, shield generators, and many if not all weapon systems.

senor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 05:27:35 PM »

Don't septuple post, please. Double posting is frowned upon, especially when you can delete posts, so 7 posts is just ridiculous.

I believe the lore of Starsector is such that building new types of spaceships is beyond the technical capabilities of anyone in the Sector. They just don't know how to make many of the key systems a Sector ship needs to operate. That almost certainly includes hyperspace equipment, shield generators, and many if not all weapon systems.

ah, my bad about the posting, i dont come here often.  just wanted to make sure i responded to people.

good to know about the lore.  Now that you mention it I think I read some that a while back.  Not sure where to find stuff like that though, dev blogs?

Aeson

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 05:47:58 PM »

The description for the Monitor can be interpreted in such a way as to indicate that it's a post-Collapse design, which would suggest that at least one entity in the Sector has the ability to either design a new ship, or at least heavily modify the blueprints to an existing ship in such a way that the modified blueprint is both a usable starship design and capable of being built by an autofactory (as opposed to conversions like the Buffalo II or the Condor, where the description indicates that all such vessels are refits of the respective base ships rather than vessels which came out of the factory in that form).

good to know about the lore.  Now that you mention it I think I read some that a while back.  Not sure where to find stuff like that though, dev blogs?
Developer blogs and the in-game Codex are among the more likely places to find out about the lore, though there's also a thread called The Lore Corner over in the Fan Media and Fiction subforum (though I cannot speak for how much of what is in that thread is canonical; obviously, developer statements are likely to be canonical, at least if they're recent, but there is also likely to be speculation found within such a thread). I think the manual that was up somewhere on the forums also contained some game lore, though the manual (or at least the one I'm thinking of) is a bit dated and the lore contained within might not be strictly canonical in the present version. There are also tidbits you can find within the game, such as the station descriptions on the left when you visit a trade port, or the tool-tips for the various icons at the top of the trade interface.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:19 PM »

Hmm, the Monitor's description does seem to imply that.

Here's the main background lore-post, IIRC: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs/

senor

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2015, 05:55:18 PM »

Here's the main background lore-post, IIRC: http://fractalsoftworks.com/2011/02/21/the-state-of-affairs/

cool, thanks ill look that over.
Pages: 1 [2]