Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Special "Elite/Purple" Weapon Drops and Modifiers  (Read 2435 times)

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
Special "Elite/Purple" Weapon Drops and Modifiers
« on: January 24, 2015, 10:14:34 AM »

Any possibility of special "buffed" weapons being droppable, deployable by enemies. The buffs wouldn't be game breaking, just a five percent higher rate of fire, or a lower flux cost per shot. It adds a element of exploration and adventure, searching for something other than blue prints, credits or crap to dump at the nearest station. Maybe blue prints can be used to manufacture a handful of special weapons.

Also, it would be neat to have weapons slots capable of being fitted with buffs rather than weapons, for example a computer chip that adds +1% to all damaged.

It would be a good way to utilize special encounters with enemy admirals. Rather than "capable fleet commander" or "commands a large fleet" it could be "He is rumored to utilize advanced weapon systems."

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Special "Elite/Purple" Weapon Drops and Modifiers
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2015, 10:21:09 AM »

This is a good idea, maybe not in this specific implementation, but in principle. One of the biggest issues I have with vanilla SS is that once you're out of the early game the loot screen, which should be exiting and rewarding, is completely boring because nothing really interesting can ever drop. There are no really special weapons, everything is mundane and disposable. I now play with the Templars mod and it's fun to scan every loot screen for Templar eqipment, exciting to find one, satistying to build a stockpile of rare and powerful weapons, and engaging to distribute them among your fleet, weighing the risk of losing them against the benefits of utilizing their power. Starsector needs Cool StuffTM to find and use. Weapons and maybe other things in the future (I'm thinking special hull mods that need to be found or purchased?)

Sabaton

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2015, 01:44:13 PM »

Dunno if we will see this anytime soon, sounds like something that could be done further down the line of development.
 Still, given the state of the sector it would make perfect sense to be able to modify your ships and weapons. (if just statistical)

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2015, 05:22:13 PM »

I disagree somewhat with you Orost, whenever I see certain weapons like needlers or heavy blasters show up I do get excited. This thread has a point, but what you guys are getting at is currently fulfilled to a certain extent by the scarcity of high-end weapons.
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 05:34:57 PM »

Or you can just duplicate the weapon but with just better stat or something, great mod idea, but I don't think this is diablo 4 : Star of Destruction.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2015, 09:42:52 AM »

Soychi: sure, but that only lasts until you get that 70 relationship with a few factions, and that doesn't take more than a couple hours. After that you can have as many heavy blasters and needlers as you need. The only thing that remain somewhat rare are large energy weapons.

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 05:17:34 PM »

I really, really like this idea. I was just thinking to myself how much I wish I could mod so I could do something like this with ships. I don't like the whole, "get millions of credits then have nothing to do" state endgame is in right now. But really, I guess that has little to do with why this is a good idea. Its exciting to find something new and interesting, even if it is only a pinch better like Argh said. I think having gem-esque slots is probably going a bit too far, but it would add a lot of fun to looting ships.