Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RPG Theme Of Choice  (Read 15253 times)

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
RPG Theme Of Choice
« on: January 21, 2015, 12:22:42 PM »

What are your favourite RPG themes?

My selection all come from Breath of Fire IV, currently playing it through on an emulator. My uncle had it when I was young and I never got very far in it, so I thought I'd grab an emulator to try it again. Gawd damn, I'm having some feels playing it through. But I guess that means it's good, right?

which is a perfectly good track without context. When the game is not throwing feels at me, of the ones I've heard. Lastly, which I love to hear for the bit that's about 30 seconds in.

So what are your favourites? Two general pieces of music, a town theme and a fighting theme. And don't link "Let the Battles Begin", I think everyone's played or heard that game, even if it does a nice bit about a minute into the theme.

EDIT:
How does one not have youtube videos appear as what were meant to be url links?...
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 08:16:57 PM by Silver Silence »

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: RPG Theme Of Choice
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 12:38:57 PM »

Hm.  No links, but I'd have to go with the music from Chrono Trigger for the fight with Magus.  Second choice would be the Star Dragon's Theme from Lunar 2.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 02:27:45 PM »

If you like breath of fire and want feels.

Play Tactic Ogre : The Knights of Lodis and Tactic Ogre: Let us Cling Together, then its successor Final Fantasy Tactics: War of Lions. Better then 80% of those tragedy novels.

Music is also classic, sometimes when I am calm and the music randomly plays in my list, I still get a little teary.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2015, 02:34:54 PM by Linnis »

Silver Silence

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 08:18:22 PM »

Tactics Ogre. A friend suggested I go play that one. I couldn't get into it. Although the ability to train troops with zero story progression by just making them fight in the training battles amused me. I believe it was the Knights of Lodis one that my friend suggested.

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:45:58 AM »

It pretty interesting because the more you trained your troops the harder the enemies got. But you needed to train or all your troops will be basic soldiers.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 06:49:28 PM »

Mass Effect 1's galaxy map theme still fills me with a sense of exploration and wonder  ;D

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »

Mass Effect 1's galaxy map theme still fills me with a sense of exploration and wonder  ;D

Also a lot of the light gravity maps like the moon bases you fight on, you can knock enemies in to escape trajectory. hahaha :D

Erick Doe

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • "Pretty cunning, don't you think?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2015, 07:20:28 AM »

For RPG games, I like...
Fallout 1 and 2
Arcanum - of Steamworks and Magick Obscura
Planescape Torment
Baldur's Gate 1 and 2

...the best

Though my favourite setting is Birthright / Anuire. All because of a little gem of a game that came out in 1996, called 'Birthright: The Gorgon's Alliance'. I still play and mod that game today. It combined a Total War like gameworld and map, including diplomacy, magic, economy and armies with an adventure mode where your regents and lieutenants could actually quest in a 3d environment, finding treasure, experience and artifacts that would impact the overhead world. It was a total failure as a game as it sold terribly, and promised expansions were never released. Thankfully people managed to mod the game to an extend that you could get more out of it, including the unlocking of realms that you couldn't play as before.

lStealtherl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:16:52 AM »

Pretty sure it went off-topic here. RPG Theme as in its BGM or the settings used for game?

In my case I was delighted to replay revisioned (PSP) Tactic Ogre: Let us cling together. The orchestral pieces brought out so more and there were plenty of moments I stopped progressing just to listen to the bgm.
Spoiler
[close]
It's heard at the encyclopedia menu, or what you call it.

Star Ocean series has a neat compositions of tracks.
Spoiler
[close]
Rare battle theme

Schwartz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:51:13 AM »

Silly!

Spoiler
[close]

Realms of Arkania Trilogy. From the second game, Star Trail. This one can be heard when you're at the blacksmith's. The game itself is pretty unforgiving. It's got various diseases, weapons break, you can drown and die in many colourful ways, but there's also herb-collecting, hunting, great spells and other fun stuff. I can't recommend it enough.

Spoiler
[close]

Diablo 1 & 2 need no introduction. Fantastic music.

Spoiler
[close]

Age of Pirates! I have a love-hate relationship with this game because it does some things so well and then ruins it by being a total bug-fest. What will always stand out though is the (very Russian) score.

Spoiler
[close]

Y'all probably know about FTL. A fun little game that has been frustrating me a lot lately.

Spoiler
[close]