Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16

Author Topic: Starsector Ship Tiers  (Read 152426 times)

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector Ship Tiers
« Reply #105 on: July 26, 2015, 12:22:01 AM »

The first line of the OP says:
"This is a resource and an ongoing effort to categorize ships, both vanilla and modded, on a scale of general usefulness." (Emphasis added)
And the last part is the legend. I don't see what more could be done to make it clearer.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 26, 2015, 05:18:13 AM »

The one thing that could be done to make it clearer is to add the same emphasis as you have done to your own post.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 26, 2015, 08:41:57 AM »

He even cited what mod the ships are from. It's fine as is, especially because most people play with these mods on.

zenstrata

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2015, 01:22:13 AM »

Thanks for the clarification =)  I read this post quite a while ago, I just didn't get around to posting about it till recently.
Also, I am not sure it is fair to say that most people play modded without some sort of polling metric to back that up.  I personally do not use any mods, I prefer the basic game.

angrytigerp

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 06, 2015, 07:23:30 PM »

Thanks for the clarification =)  I read this post quite a while ago, I just didn't get around to posting about it till recently.
Also, I am not sure it is fair to say that most people play modded without some sort of polling metric to back that up.  I personally do not use any mods, I prefer the basic game.

That's unfortunate, because as you said, mods add a lot of variety; and there are plenty of mods that have a definitively vanilla-balanced feel and aren't just "lol this is way better in every way". The ease of the modding framework even makes using them really simple, as all you have to do is check a few boxes.

That said, I can understand reluctance to play with mods in general, but they are a cornerstone of PC gaming.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2015, 03:43:05 PM »

I'd like to suggest moving the Dominator cruiser (back) up to Tier 2 - the removal of ammunition limits plus the reduced flux cost of Mjolnir cannons have covered over the Dominator's weak spots quite nicely.  A pair of Mjolnir cannons covers primary offense against both shields & armor, which means you can actually afford to mount flak.  And with no ammo limits, the wide spread of the main guns isn't as big a deal, since a miss only wastes a bit of flux.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2015, 04:14:14 PM »

I agree with Wyvern.  Dominator is probably the most powerful standard cruiser in the game, and it can easily go toe-to-toe with a capital.  It is a bit weak against (read: difficulty evading) a horde of small ships, but it can demolish bigger ships more easily than other standard cruisers short of a max Missile Spec. Reaper Aurora.

For Mjolnir Dominator, I prefer Maulers in medium mounts for more long-range firepower and let Vulcans take care of PD.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:06 PM »

I'd agree with the previous 2 about the Dominator, and would like to add the Eagle as Tier 2 as well. Reason: With the changes to the phase beam, the Eagle is absolutely devastating against smaller ships, and it has the maneuverability to get away from capitals when stressed.

(Its kind of cool to me that the old ships are beasts, but weak against swarms, and then the midlines trade some of the beastliness for maneuverability and wrecking smaller ships.)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 25, 2015, 06:31:51 AM »

Eagle is good, but I am not sure if it is strong enough for tier 2.  It can defend against multiple smaller ships better than Dominator, but it cannot demolish ships quickly like Dominator or Reaper Aurora.  Phase lance is good, but nothing too powerful; Phase Lance Eagle is a DPS and range compromise between three blaster Eagle (high DPS, short range) and ballistics plus beam Eagle (long range sniper).  What the Eagle does very well is kite with 1000+ range HVDs, Maulers, and beams (possibly boosted with Advanced Optics), and AI will try to kite with it.

Dominator is tier 2 because it can kite (not as well as Eagle, but can kite dangerous bigger ships if built for it) and/or outgun most ships in the game.

TheHengeProphet

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:42 AM »

I need to do some testing with standard OP levels, but I loaded out an eagle with 3 HVDs and 3 Phase Lances, and it absolutely destroyed things.  It's become a staple of my fleets.  In player hands, or more accurately in player ownership, the eagle can be devastating.  As such, I really think it deserves to be where it is.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 26, 2015, 03:45:54 PM »

Anyone interested in adding the NGO faction ships to the list?
I would like to know how they fit into the established list of shiptiers from an outside perspective.
In my honest opinion i think that the “average“ strenght of ships in modded and also vanilla game are somewhat “op“ but thats not bad all time. The correct “strenght“ mix of ships in a faction is the most important part. But yeah, i just wanna know if there are opinions out there.

greetings
Ahne

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 27, 2015, 06:57:37 AM »

I am wary of a tier list that doesn't really include a description of some of the reasoning behind some of the ships put in the tiers and a tier list which can place the wolf and the lasher into the same tier list.

If it is a question of role, looking at the forum lists, most people seem to assume the tiers are based upon sheer combat power, and in any case there really isn't a list of roles that are to be considered and to what importance. Whatever the reasoning is behind the tiers, the wolf is both more versatile and more powerful at every role than the lasher.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 27, 2015, 07:32:58 AM »

If it is a question of role, looking at the forum lists, most people seem to assume the tiers are based upon sheer combat power, and in any case there really isn't a list of roles that are to be considered and to what importance. Whatever the reasoning is behind the tiers, the wolf is both more versatile and more powerful at every role than the lasher.
It is about overall combat power.  If not, Atlas would be tier 1 for hauling everything to powerlevel via trade, but powerleveling is good mostly for fighting.  Player only needs max Leadership (for +80 Logistics) and max Technology (for max Navigation) to haul commodities in bulk.

Lasher became very weak ever since it lost its omni-shield (and its shield arc was not doubled to compensate).  Lasher has bad shield, mediocre flux efficiency, and a suicidal ship system (player needs 20 vents and close to 10 capacitors to make it usable with most weapons) that the AI uses with reckless abandon.  Lasher is bad enough that it is no use putting rare and elite weapons like railguns or needlers on it.  Just give it cheap yet effective stuff like autocannons and annihilators.  I would put Lasher in tier 4.  With max Combat and Technology, Cerberus with a shield performs a bit better than Lasher (thanks to more armor, a mobility system, and possible Mauler to kite-and-snipe), and has more cargo to haul stuff.  At least Lasher will be improved in the next release (wider shield and ammo feeder reducing flux costs).

I need to do some testing with standard OP levels, but I loaded out an eagle with 3 HVDs and 3 Phase Lances, and it absolutely destroyed things.  It's become a staple of my fleets.  In player hands, or more accurately in player ownership, the eagle can be devastating.  As such, I really think it deserves to be where it is.
Any reason to use HVDs over cheaper alternatives?  It seems like the extra range is wasted if Phase Lance is your primary attack.  If you need to get close enough to use Phase Lance, wouldn't the cheaper and more damaging Heavy Autocannon be more effective?  If you want the extra range, why not replace one of the HVDs with a Mauler to damage armor if you need to snipe from beyond beam range?

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2015, 08:07:32 AM »

I forgot how much worse the Lasher is outside of SS+.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2015, 09:11:21 AM »

Fortunately it will be significantly buffed in 0.7 with the Accelerated Ammo Feeder also reducing the flux cost of the weapons.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 16