Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Please just kill that" order  (Read 2456 times)

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
"Please just kill that" order
« on: January 10, 2015, 03:19:47 PM »

The enemy supply van is retreating after getting their faces torn off and, being only a Dram and a Buffalo, I only send my fighters in pursuit from the left and right. I order half to attack the Dram and half to attack the Buffalo.

But, the Dram is a decent bit faster than the Buffalo. So, when my fighters arrive from behind, the ones that are supposed to be attacking the Buffalo do so. The ones set to attack the Dram fly past the Buffalo en route, go "oh noez an enemy ship", and turn to attack it. The Dram retreats without a scratch.

It would be so nice to have a special "just go there and pour your weapons into this ship and ignore everything else" command, both for pursuits and last-stands. The Intercept command's description seems to say it should behave this way, but it doesn't seem to.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: "Please just kill that" order
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »

This showcases something I've been griping about for a long time: the AI is pretty damn good at most things, but it is very bad at disengaging. I've seen ships 75 speed faster than whats in the way get completely "stuck" on them trying to fight back (usually ineffectively as the other ship is a higher class). All the AI needs to do is fly in a straight line to disengage, but they keep flying back in to fight!

tinsoldier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 02:49:10 PM »

Yes, please, I need this so bad.  Also, when they do get close enough, they first two shots and then pull back, a veritable toe in the water at best.  But if they just got up close and dirty, it'd slow it down enough for the rest of the fleet to catch up.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 03:15:08 PM »

I concur, there is nothing worse than loosing your 4 frigates and 4 destroyers to a fleet of 3 frigates, 6 wings and a single carrier, all because your ships never attacked that one carrier you specifically order them to kill!

Scuttlebutt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 01:45:49 AM »

+1

I feel like my captains are all in a constant fit of rage and would strike at any hostile near them.

Vind

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 10:46:27 AM »

Worst thing then fighters prefer to attack tempest terminator drone instead of frigate totally ignoring orders to intercept.