Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Fligh decks  (Read 2749 times)

McRib27

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Fligh decks
« on: January 05, 2015, 01:06:59 PM »

hi,

what are the different between 1 or 2 or even 6 flight decks on a carriers or a ship?

I mean even a carrier with 1 flight deck can refit and replace fights (even if they are 2-4 running around) so what is a use of more than 1 flight deck?

McRib
« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 01:09:03 PM by McRib27 »

Spoorthuzad

• Captain
  • Looking right into your soul
    • View Profile
Re: Fligh decks
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 01:55:57 PM »

hi,

what are the different between 1 or 2 or even 6 flight decks on a carriers or a ship?

I mean even a carrier with 1 flight deck can refit and replace fights (even if they are 2-4 running around) so what is a use of more than 1 flight deck?

McRib

I believe they can repair/refit more fighters at the same time
2 flight decks can repair 2 fighters for example

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 02:18:52 PM »

There's also an important distinction in terms of how fighter wings stay on the field: a fighter wing only remains in the battle as long as it has at least one fighter in existence - including fighters currently being built on a carrier.

An example is probably needed.  Suppose you're running two wings of talons backed by a single flight deck.  One wing of talons flies too close to an enemy cruiser and gets obliterated; now you've got one wing of talons still flying around, and one wing that's still "in combat" because it's being regenerated by that flight deck.  However, if the second wing is destroyed at this point, it's out of the battle - it has nowhere to go, and is out of the fight.  (You won't lose it after the battle, though, unless the enemy killed all of your carriers as well.)

As an addendum, some mods include fighter wings with only a single fighter in them; these can never be regenerated at a carrier, because when that one fighter blows up, there's nothing already being built, and so it's removed from the field.

How many flight decks you "need" per wing of fighters you're using is somewhat debatable.  As I don't use fighters much, I have no particular recommendations here, beyond "one flight deck per wing of fighters is probably overkill".
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

McRib27

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 02:38:34 PM »

Thx.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 04:03:41 PM »

Taking my time replying to this, but I have 8 squadrons with a total of 18 fighters in my current fleet. Using two Herons (4 flight decks), I only very, very rarely see one of my squadrons completely shot down.

Okim

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Okim`s Modelling stuff
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2015, 02:52:34 AM »

As an addendum, some mods include fighter wings with only a single fighter in them; these can never be regenerated at a carrier, because when that one fighter blows up, there's nothing already being built, and so it's removed from the field.

Oh, wow. Thanks! I never though about this and now I can clearly see why some of my modded wings are dying that fast!

Linnis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2015, 09:52:05 AM »

Taking my time replying to this, but I have 8 squadrons with a total of 18 fighters in my current fleet. Using two Herons (4 flight decks), I only very, very rarely see one of my squadrons completely shot down.

You can have that with one heron, and having one or two fighter get suspended is okay since you don't lose any extra supplies anyways, then you can use that extra heron supply for some missle ships or a cruiser.

I run 6 fighter wings and two bombers on one flight deck, its about your first wave doing enough damage, and any stragglers after then main battle you can hunt down yourself.

This way the battle ends quickly, you make up for the lack of sustain by the fact that as a player with high combat, you can take care of cleanup.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 09:54:45 AM by Linnis »