Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Some super easy ways to exploit the battle system in campaign mode.  (Read 8380 times)

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile

I guess I've broken the game by doing this, so don't read any further if you have interest in just having fun with the existing game.

If you build up a large fighter fleet it becomes trivially easy to kill pretty much anything. 3-4 squads of fast fighters (wasps or balanced fighters) and then 4 or so squads of bombers you will just win against pretty much anything. (tempests with speed boost also do the trick anything over speed 200 really). All you need to do is take all of the waypoints  before they can and then your fighters/tempests just wreck everything. Especially bombers seem way too overpowered when you send a squad of 4 at a cap ship.

So I guess the main problems are:

Fast ships will beat them to the punch and contest/capture all the points and prevent reinforcements.

Those same fast ships are nearly impossible for the AI to kill.

Bombers do far too much damage to AI opponents.

Qloos

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Some super easy ways to exploit the battle system in campaign mode.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 10:54:50 AM »

The AI needs to deploy a destroyer with nothing but dual flak cannons, (with turret gyros) and swarmer missiles launchers.  Yeah!  Lets see you little *** fighters deal with that! 

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2012, 10:58:07 AM »

The balance of this is unless you have a carrier it takes forever to repair. and if you do have a carrier your fleet is terribly slow. Try taking down a tri-tachyon fleet with that set up. I too love my masses pirahnas but they're not an I win button they're one helluva force multiplier. Maybe an increase in their fleet point costs would balance them.

Simberto

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2012, 11:11:20 AM »

However, it is true that at the moment, i don't really see any reason to deploy anything besides interceptors, bombers and one single carrier.  Especially if you have Wasps, which just kill anything. You can take control of all of the objectives really fast, and thus win the game. I am starting to believe that fighters need a bit more of a downside for being so fast, maybe carriers should not reinforce damaged squads in combat, and only repair and rearm the returned fighters? I feel like the ability to reinforce fighters like that makes them ridiculously cost-effective, and pretty much invincible to the PD weapons of larger ships. Especially considering that if you have more fighters, the ships will spread out their fire and never even kill a single fighter division.

SgtAlex86

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 11:18:15 AM »

:/ not seeing it i tried massed fighters but in the end i kept loosing wing here other there and it was allways 10-20k hit so i ended up loosing monies instead of making em  :'(

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 11:30:48 AM »

Yeah, I'll agree since I like to use the carrier fleet approach, while this does work in some cases, it definitely isn't an 'I win' button. It can be very situational at best... and unless you've got 2-4 carriers or some such to allow you to have that hanger size to accommodate them all (with one carrier you won't have enough fleet points for all those wasps and bombers) it shouldn't be happening, but the fleet limitations and so on aren't in yet, so technically any fleet can be built and easily overcome opposing fleets.

I'd be curious to know the OP's actual fleet setup and the opposing fleet setups he's fighting against before judging this any further... because there are plenty of fleets with plenty of PD to blow wasps away... and bombers are nigh pointless against anything smaller than a cruiser.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 11:35:02 AM »

This might actualy just be your fleet is much stronger then your targets so ya it feels easy.

In my most advanced game i have 1x wasp squadron and 2 or so faster fighter type squads and then the rest is regular ships and 2 or 3 bomber squadrons. and no fast small ships (they all die with how i play i guess).

But every battle i do now is easily winable simply because my fleet is stronger then theres, (or my ships are better fit).

Maybe fighter refiting is to strong, but both sides get to do it.

Or perhaps the AI could use some priority targeting, (i go after bombers first)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2012, 02:19:31 PM »

I don't think it's a broken mechanic. If you can sustain that many fighters in the real game, more power to you.  :)

I honestly think a proper PD fleet would wreck you, but who makes a fleet with all PD weapons?  ???  Maybe some really weird faction that likes getting rocked by anyone not full of fighters.  :D
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2012, 02:58:14 PM »

i would hope that in the final product of the game that you would not be able to warp between systems if you didn't have enough hangar space for all your fighters.. after all there not deep space drive equipped.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 03:42:34 PM »

I posted what my real setup is, and yeah you lose some once in a while. But when you are picking up huge cap ships worth 200k every battle because they can't deploy them it's really easy to sustain. And as I said it's not always interceptors, anything around 200 speed or so. It just makes the fights really super trivial to do it this way. I don't do it anymore and purposefully them them cap the two back points and fight over the middle one to make it more of a challenge. But then you have to quit using bombers too because 3-4 wings of them just instakill cap ships.

Anysy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2012, 03:43:36 PM »

Gonna throw this out here - Fighters in real life tend to blow up modern capital ships. That is why the modern battle fleet is primarily based around the Carrier.

I dont think fighters ingame is a problem - I think the AI just doesnt have the right fleet compositions to deal with it. (It would be particularly interesting later if AI fleets actually dynamically designed themselves to counter player fleets..)

washout

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2012, 03:47:40 PM »

Also I'm not trying to say there is anything implicitly wrong with the system, just that an I WIN button like this makes the game way too easy. Fighters need to not be invincible and endlessly resupplying, and bombers should do a lot less damage or the bombs be much easier to kill.

Icelom

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2012, 04:35:57 PM »

I posted what my real setup is, and yeah you lose some once in a while. But when you are picking up huge cap ships worth 200k every battle because they can't deploy them it's really easy to sustain. And as I said it's not always interceptors, anything around 200 speed or so. It just makes the fights really super trivial to do it this way. I don't do it anymore and purposefully them them cap the two back points and fight over the middle one to make it more of a challenge. But then you have to quit using bombers too because 3-4 wings of them just instakill cap ships.

Whats your fighter/bomber count compared tot he hanger count and how much larger is your fleet over the 200pts... perhaps try keeping your fleet under 200points and only have enough fighters that you have hanger space for. (to simulate the final game better) can you have your fleet comp within these constraints? and is your fleet as effective vs similar sized fleets within these restraints.

Paul

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2012, 04:53:14 PM »

I think the issue is more that you can auto-capture 200k cap ships without them putting up a fight just because you captured some sensor relays.

Thats why I think there should be battle continuation instead of auto-surrender. Capturing the points would still be an advantage - you could mop up any ships present. But then you would have to continue fighting the rest of their fleet instead of "Woo free ships that I couldn't have ever captured normally!"

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2012, 05:04:37 PM »

Whats your fighter/bomber count compared tot he hanger count and how much larger is your fleet over the 200pts... perhaps try keeping your fleet under 200points and only have enough fighters that you have hanger space for. (to simulate the final game better) can you have your fleet comp within these constraints? and is your fleet as effective vs similar sized fleets within these restraints.

easily. my current fleet is not anywhere near 200 fleet size yet and i keep my fighters in the limits and i still dont have to hard of a time beating the enemies but i do take casualties on a regular basis.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.
Pages: [1] 2