Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Today I learned...  (Read 23914 times)

Velox

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Today I learned...
« on: December 18, 2014, 08:36:44 AM »

... that holding shift while you click on the add/remove vents/capacitors buttons makes the counter go much faster.  I thought "it sure would be nice if it worked that way" ... and it did.

Alex, you rule!

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
Re: Today I learned...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2014, 09:00:04 AM »

I discovered the "hold shift to place the same weapon as before" mechanic by following the exact same thought :)
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2014, 09:17:58 AM »

Same here... After 6 months of playing  :-[

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2014, 11:23:23 AM »

Oddly enough, that was the dev process too - using the UI and thinking "would be nice if it worked that way".

At some point, I really need to put this in a tooltip somewhere, don't I?

Protip: holding shift while using the scrollwheel to scroll through a list will also make it go faster.

NikolaiLev

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2014, 12:58:24 PM »

Protip: holding shift while using the scrollwheel to scroll through a list will also make it go faster.

I discovered this a couple days ago.

I have played SS for hundreds of hours over the course of a year.

???

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2014, 01:57:46 PM »

That is a future main screen tip if I ever saw one, along the "CTRL+click to sell a stack" and the "disable help windows on a new character creation" (I've been surprised by how many people miss that option on youtube vids, and later complain about it. Maybe they think it deactivate all the tooltips?)

Btw all these tips could also be displayed during game/save loading, since many people skip over them in the main menu.

Cosmitz

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2014, 02:28:26 PM »

Oddly enough, that was the dev process too - using the UI and thinking "would be nice if it worked that way".

Alex, you really could put those kinds of tips on the Main screen loading page and during, or after, loading a save game. Like random quibblets.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2014, 04:44:55 PM »

I discovered that ships can be destroyed, as in blown to non existence. Before today I thought the only reason the text at the end said destroyed/disabled was in order to justify some ships getting put back online or repaired after battle.

PsychoWolfen

• Ensign
  • For the Steel Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2014, 07:57:37 PM »

I have learned that making huge business deals with factions will make me get hated by other factions, BUT only if they are on the same star map.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2014, 09:40:51 PM »

Oh yes.  Blow up a previously-friendly fleet?  Go to maybe -54.  Make too large of a trade with their enemies?  Direct to -75!  Kinda shows you what they care about...
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Doom101

• Admiral
  • Doom will always find you.
    • View Profile
    • Youtube channel
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Oh yes.  Blow up a previously-friendly fleet?  Go to maybe -54.  Make too large of a trade with their enemies?  Direct to -75!  Kinda shows you what they care about...

its all business to the TT man. ( although to be fair even their faction sees loss of ships ( not so much lives mind you) as a massive expense.
When you can't go on, just accept your doom. It comes to all, it is inevitable.

Also I totally had the name BEFORE the cruiser.

Lord Asriel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »

That boosting aptitudes gives bonuses in addition to those given by the associated skills. I had just never hovered the mouse over the level-bar-indicator thing to the left of the arrow before, and so was treating aptitudes just as a means to increasing skill caps. I was wondering where all those extra OPs were coming from!

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2014, 05:53:14 PM »

Today I learned that when things go wrong in a Sunder, they go wrong very quickly and with gusto.

PsychoWolfen

• Ensign
  • For the Steel Wolves
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2014, 03:11:29 AM »

New thing i learned today, my AI'ed ships just LOVE to WASTE harpoon MRMs yet the enemy AI knows just when to shower me with them.

Soychi

• Lieutenant
  • Ad Rem
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 06:40:20 PM »

I learned you can move your view of the map by holding down the right mouse button and dragging. Took over two years to learn that.
ARE YOU A COWARD? This is not for you. We badly need a brave man. He must be 23 to 25 years old, in perfect health, at least six feet tall, weigh about 190 pounds, fluent English with some French, proficient with all weapons, some knowledge of engineering and mathematics essential, willing to travel, no family or emotional ties, indomitably courageous and handsome of face and figure. Permanent employment, very high pay, glorious adventure, great danger. -Glory Road, Heinlein
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5