Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Autosave?  (Read 8518 times)

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
Re: Autosave?
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2014, 08:15:02 PM »

Will bump this thread every time I lose a 1-2 hour game to no autosave! No I will not be modding vanilla!

... Thats kind of silly. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would complain if we had frequent autosaves because they would add significant lag (a couple seconds is REALLY noticeable) at unpredictable times. Maybe they could be hidden in transitions... but then people would be asking why it took so long to get out of combat, or to buy things.

Just save your game every once in a while. Its a good habit to be in for everything to be honest.

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2014, 08:39:30 PM »

Or you could play on Ironmode.

Unfolder

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2014, 11:51:40 AM »

Will bump this thread every time I lose a 1-2 hour game to no autosave! No I will not be modding vanilla!

... Thats kind of silly. I'm pretty sure a lot of people would complain if we had frequent autosaves because they would add significant lag (a couple seconds is REALLY noticeable) at unpredictable times. Maybe they could be hidden in transitions... but then people would be asking why it took so long to get out of combat, or to buy things.

Just save your game every once in a while. Its a good habit to be in for everything to be honest.

Make it optional! A thing to turn on or off in settings. ARGH! People talk like autosaving involves the game hitting your nuts with a hammer every ten minutes. Autosave is best business practice of any modern game, no controversy here!

Or you could play on Ironmode.

I only play in ironmode, if the game crashes you lose everything fooooooooh

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2014, 11:58:06 AM »

... Why is your game crashing every couple hours?  That's not normal.

PS autosaves are not desirable when it takes 15+ seconds to save the game.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2014, 02:32:56 PM »

Make it optional! A thing to turn on or off in settings. ARGH! People talk like autosaving involves the game hitting your nuts with a hammer every ten minutes. Autosave is best business practice of any modern game, no controversy here!
And yet you act as if modding your game, which is easy as hell in this game, is the same way! Hell, Lazy even provided an autosave mod TWO POSTS above yours! Yes the game should include some kind of autosave but until then use the damn mod!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 08:35:33 AM »

Autosave is best business practice of any modern game, no controversy here!
I prefer retro, classic style games over most modern games, despite more primitive effects.  Occasionally, there are few modern gems, and they tend to harken to the style of older games.

EDIT:  Search for 'what if doom was made today' at YouTube and watch it for some laughs.  If Doom was like that back in the '90s, I would have never gotten it.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:17:21 PM by Megas »

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2014, 12:49:01 PM »

I'd take a reminder every half-hour. My game crashed yesterday and it was annoying to redo everything.

It crashes every so often. The last time, I was shopping in a station in Magec. I noticed that the music stopped after a while, I was switching between the Refit and Fleet panels. Then, once I left the station the game crashed.

I'm using SS+ and its suggested, compatible mods but Imperium and SS+ are one patch out of date.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #22 on: December 16, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »

Can you post the crash log?  It should be at the end of starsector.log after a crash occurs.

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 16, 2014, 06:46:34 PM »

Can you post the crash log?  It should be at the end of starsector.log after a crash occurs.

Sure, however I'm not sure what happened, I can't start the game now. I got home from work and installed a few rainmeter skins (a music player and an icon pack). That's the only thing that changed.

Spoiler
0    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Starting Starsector 0.65.1a-RC1 launcher
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Running in C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - OS: Windows 7 6.1
1    [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher  - Java version: 1.7.0 (64-bit)
14   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: Citadel [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Citadel]
14   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: lw_console [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Console Commands]
15   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: Imperium [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Interstellar Imperium]
15   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: lw_lazylib [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\LazyLib]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: mayorate [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\mayorate-0.8.1]
16   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: shaderLib [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\ShaderLib]
17   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: shadow_ships [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\shadow_ships]
18   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: dr_ssp [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Starsector Plus]
18   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.launcher.ModManager  - Found mod: Templars [C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core\..\mods\Templars]
23   [main] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.loading.LoadingUtils  - Loading JSON from [data/config/settings.json]
[close]

From what I gather.. the settings.json file in SS core is corrupted?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 07:26:37 PM by Cromodus »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 07:41:47 PM »

That's the entire log?  Yeah, I'd just reinstall the game at this point.

TheOverWhelming

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 07:52:25 PM »

I'd enjoy an autosave and, as another has mentioned, put it in the base game.  While it may not be a feature EVERYONE would want, a customizable timer/options would be easy enough (still annoying though because UI) and would help those who get frustrated due to crashes (it can happen due to reasons outside of Starsector)

And yes, we could all mod it in for those who want it.  However, before release I believe the game should have this feature implemented

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 05:43:49 AM »

No, the old log was getting to big to browse, that's a new one I created so that it only contains the latest crash info.

Reinstall? Ok.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 09:23:25 AM »

No, the old log was getting to big to browse, that's a new one I created so that it only contains the latest crash info.

Reinstall? Ok.
What we need to see is the very bottom of the log as that will have the cause of the crash.
FYI: Use the free program Baretail to browse the log as it can load a 20 meg log with almost no delay!
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Cromodus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:21 AM »

That's the entire log?  Yeah, I'd just reinstall the game at this point.

Reinstall? Ok.
What we need to see is the very bottom of the log as that will have the cause of the crash.
FYI: Use the free program Baretail to browse the log as it can load a 20 meg log with almost no delay!

What I posted was the very bottom. I'll get Baretail.

Edit: Son of a nuts! It WAS Rainmeter.

I installed a new icon for Steam and it didn't include Run as Admin. That's what made launching SS crash.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2014, 02:44:45 PM by Cromodus »
Pages: 1 [2]