Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The white screen explosions are annoying  (Read 5132 times)

Morsealworth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: The white screen explosions are annoying
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 11:19:45 AM »

I'm necroing this because my eyes hurt

Open \starsector-core\data\config\settings.json in notepad, find the line with "enableShipExplosionWhiteout", and replace "true" with "false".

It really should mentioned in a FAQ somewhere. And be in the GUI settings. I had the same problem as you have now, I just happened to find the forum thread with the answer. (this one)
... let me have a look and see if just scaling the explosion size up a bit for the larger ships is "good enough". Because, yeah, the main stumbling block here is not wanting to spend like a week+ on a more comprehensively new effect.
Thank you. You've probably added years to my eyes. And, as I only have this pair, it is a lot to me.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 05:40:09 PM »

I finally reinstalled Empire Earth and tested a nuke. I guess they did not actually do a full whiteout and it does cover the UI elements around the units, but still way better than Starsector.

I'll mention that their bright flash fades in/out as you move towards/away from the explosion, which was always a nice touch.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 08:24:36 PM »

... let me have a look and see if just scaling the explosion size up a bit for the larger ships is "good enough". Because, yeah, the main stumbling block here is not wanting to spend like a week+ on a more comprehensively new effect.
To be perfectly honest here: If it takes you a month to build an acceptable non-screenflash graphic, I'd still consider that time well spent. The flash is that bad. (If you were set up for it, I'd cheerfully donate money specifically for fixing this. Hm, it's been a while since I've bought a copy of Starsector...)
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Harmful Mechanic

• Admiral
  • On break.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 08:41:20 PM »

Yeah, the flash is rough enough on the eyes that I would say, along with being a photosensitive seizure risk, it's important enough to dedicate some time to.

Brainwright

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 08:48:58 PM »

Specifically, I'd say some other effect except whiteout would be a drastic improvement.  Even an artificial screen would be better, like a blackout with techy-effects to show your ship's interface is intervening to protect the squishy humans.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2022, 01:18:03 PM »

Aaaand:

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1577753728223936512

This'll be the default setting, though both the whiteout and the old explosion graphics will be available in settings.json. The old explosion graphics in particular seem like they'd be useful for GraphicsLib which I believe adds its custom explosion visuals on top of those.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2022, 01:33:23 PM »

Man this warrants a whole blog post, who cares if it's short. Put up an announcement at the top of the forum, take a day off. This is a monumental day for Starsector.

It really cannot be stressed enough how seemingly small changes (for an average player) can actually make the game look 10 times better. Vent animation change was also another big thing that I know took a fair amount of time.
Please don't take me too seriously.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2022, 01:34:41 PM »

Huzzah!

Much appreciated; this looks much better.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

cytokine

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 02:15:45 PM »

That looks great ;D

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 02:20:36 PM »

Looks like it will be a lot nicer.

FooF

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2022, 08:05:30 PM »

I really like the nova-like flare but the background "cloud" feels pretty lackluster to me. It either needs to linger longer (pulse in random spots?), have more particles/streamers careening off in various directions, or just be more violent...I guess?

It does look good though!

gG_pilot

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2022, 04:21:31 AM »

The white screen explosions are annoying >>> YES
The check box in the game options ON/OFF would be enough. It can be done quickly enough.
Get noticed, ZERO effect is also an effect. For further reference see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Null_set

My eyes  thank you in advance.

Morsealworth

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2022, 07:16:01 AM »

Aaaand:

https://twitter.com/amosolov/status/1577753728223936512

This'll be the default setting, though both the whiteout and the old explosion graphics will be available in settings.json. The old explosion graphics in particular seem like they'd be useful for GraphicsLib which I believe adds its custom explosion visuals on top of those.

Thank you, it's significantly less blinding as far as I can tell. How safe will it be for the eyes, however, can only be tested in-game, as zoom can be important, like when you attack a capital ship while piloting a frigate.

It is also extremely beautiful and very thematic with the fuel the ships use, although personally I value the safety improvement even more.

I finally reinstalled Empire Earth and tested a nuke. I guess they did not actually do a full whiteout and it does cover the UI elements around the units, but still way better than Starsector.

I'll mention that their bright flash fades in/out as you move towards/away from the explosion, which was always a nice touch.
The important difference is that in both Empire Earth and Supreme Commander nukes are detonated on already brightly illuminated battlefield. The space in Starsector, however, is black, and ships are not all that much of a contrast to this blackness. That's the main reason the whole screen suddenly going from completely black to completely white is a problem. New solution presented by Alex will probably solve the "whole screen" part, and tone down the white to bright blue. All that's left is check for zoom and maybe make ships on the verge of exploding (less than 40% hull or something) to start glowing even before the explosion, so it isn't as sudden to the iris. Though the latter part would most likely take too much time and effort to implement (though the idea of fuel/other volatile substances leaking out of the damaged ship would look extremely cool and would expand the new explosion animation, as well as add that multi-stage boss fight feel), so the former is much more likely to be the balancing venue.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 07:23:57 AM by Morsealworth »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2022, 11:56:01 AM »

Thank you, it's significantly less blinding as far as I can tell. How safe will it be for the eyes, however, can only be tested in-game, as zoom can be important, like when you attack a capital ship while piloting a frigate.

(Reading between the lines of what you've said before, I wonder if you're not playing in the dark or with the monitor brightness set very high. Starsector entirely aside, neither of those things would be good for your eyes long-term, so it seemed worth mentioning. Not that being able to turn the whiteout off is a bad thing regardless.)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2022, 02:18:59 PM »

After a bunch of playtesting: I actually really like the whiteout. The new effect definitely "works" but with the whiteout it just feels a lot more powerful, and as a bonus, you see a lot of the new effect - it kind of feels like the whiteout is "collapsing" into the remainder of the explosion, they combine in a neat way.

On the other hand, the new effect is definitely "good enough" on its own. So: there's going to be a UI setting to turn whiteout on or off; it'll be on by default.
Pages: 1 [2] 3