Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Carriers  (Read 11895 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Carriers
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2011, 08:31:01 AM »

Yep, that's the way to see it - the ship variant ids are actually inside the files, but the names *should* match those exactly - but that's just a matter of convention. Renaming one of those files wouldn't change/break anything in the game.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could actually edit the variant files by hand to set whatever weapons you like (the full list of weapons is in "data/weapons/weapon_data.csv").

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2011, 08:44:18 AM »

Yep, that's the way to see it - the ship variant ids are actually inside the files, but the names *should* match those exactly - but that's just a matter of convention. Renaming one of those files wouldn't change/break anything in the game.

If you're feeling particularly adventurous, you could actually edit the variant files by hand to set whatever weapons you like (the full list of weapons is in "data/weapons/weapon_data.csv").

Excellent!  :)  Looks like I'm going to have some data editing fun when I get home tonight, lol.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

JuffoWup

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2011, 10:13:07 AM »

Good thing, too; how else was I going to stick 22 HILs on a Conquest?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2011, 11:12:52 AM »

Good thing, too; how else was I going to stick 22 HILs on a Conquest?

Oh my.

I hope you added some gratuitous flux vents and capacitors, or that'd only be fun for the 0.2 seconds it could sustain fire.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2011, 11:32:21 AM »

I hope you added some gratuitous flux vents and capacitors, or that'd only be fun for the 0.2 seconds it could sustain fire.

Ah yes, the unofficial sequel to Gratuitous Space Battles; Gratuitous Flux Vents.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2011, 08:16:38 AM »

Excellent!  :)  Looks like I'm going to have some data editing fun when I get home tonight, lol.

Ok....That was extremely awesome! :)  I made an Aurora that was pretty stinking crazy, ha ha.  I created a new .ship based off the Aurora.ship file, and then made a new .variant also, I had to change the .ship file in order to make all the slots turrets and to ditch the missiles.   :) ha ha, Good times.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2011, 10:57:06 AM »

Excellent :)  Just FYI, you don't have to change slot types - anything you put in the variant file will work.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2011, 11:39:23 AM »

Excellent :)  Just FYI, you don't have to change slot types - anything you put in the variant file will work.

Oh, lol.  Yeah that was a bit of work, heh heh, the .ship file doesn't look very tasty in notepad, but I managed somehow. 

So I can change any weapon I want in the variant, that is good, but I would have to make a new .ship file to change the original missile hard-points to turrets for energy and ballistic right?  That is what I did in my Aurora version.  :)  It is a beast, and I even increased the fleet points on it, ha ha!  :)  All the way up to 20 I think.  I also modified the arc's of course, it was a ton of fun, but also kinda hard to read, if I wasn't a programmer by trade myself I think I would have corrupted the code in the process, lol. (Not a complaint btw, clearly it isn't designed to be modified in notepad, ha ha, just a very fun but slightly tedious feature currently, that is totally worth the effort!  :) )

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2011, 12:11:26 PM »

Yep, you got it right. And yeah, not exactly intended for manual editing, although the variant files aren't so bad (been manually tweaking those myself until just recently, where I set up an option for the refit screen to overwrite those - got a lot more fun to tweak, I'll tell you!)

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2011, 01:08:12 PM »

Yep, you got it right. And yeah, not exactly intended for manual editing, although the variant files aren't so bad (been manually tweaking those myself until just recently, where I set up an option for the refit screen to overwrite those - got a lot more fun to tweak, I'll tell you!)

Ah yeah I agree on the variant files, they are currently pretty clean and concise files.  So the refit screen rewrites them dynamically, and that makes them look a little less easy on the eyes I guess?  :)  Fun times, heh heh.  For my next fun project I think I'm going to redo a larger ship of some sort, and also a really small one, like a frigate, I've never been any good piloting the frigates, and it is about time I got better at it.  :)  (That is a skill that will end up paying big dividends in the early game of the campaign if I remember you correctly.  :) )

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2011, 11:29:25 AM »

I've also started experimenting with creating custom missions with a few smaller ships, partly to gain familiarity with them, partly to because they're under-represented in the single missions available right now. It looks like I should take some notes on what the different ships (that I haven't used much in the single missions) are like and create lists of ships by class and faction if I intend to play around with it some more.

obo

• Ensign
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2012, 06:42:54 AM »

Can i find infos about carriers anywhere? How many ships they can carry, how often they auto undock, what time they are in space ect.? Or is there a shiplist where i can find every single statistic of the ship?

Hammerhead

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2012, 07:01:46 AM »

Can i find infos about carriers anywhere? How many ships they can carry, how often they auto undock, what time they are in space ect.? Or is there a shiplist where i can find every single statistic of the ship?
Is the in game codex not enough?

obo

• Ensign
  • Since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2012, 08:28:29 AM »

Is the in game codex not enough?

Oh Sorry i never looked into it. :D First time after months i used it. Thanks anyways.
Pages: 1 [2]