Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 517933 times)

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #420 on: September 23, 2021, 09:53:57 PM »

Bit late, but the warnings are that:
- It's best to set Xms and Xmx to the same value
- Xmx is 9 GB which is more than half of system RAM, which isn't recommended (also, going above 6 GB or at the most 8 isn't recommended either)

Kothyxaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: September 25, 2021, 01:33:53 PM »

Bit late, but the warnings are that:
- It's best to set Xms and Xmx to the same value
- Xmx is 9 GB which is more than half of system RAM, which isn't recommended (also, going above 6 GB or at the most 8 isn't recommended either)

Cheers for that info. I remember old versions that sort of thing was ok, and 8gb was a recommended level for lots of mods. I will knock it down to 8gb/8gb.
Cheers again.

Athrahasis

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 13, 2021, 12:01:45 AM »

I just want to say thank you again for all the information in this thread. With the new update I forgot to alter the file.

For others looking for the info:

1 GB to MB = 1024 MB

2 GB to MB = 2048 MB

3 GB to MB = 3072 MB

4 GB to MB = 4096 MB

5 GB to MB = 5120 MB

6 GB to MB = 6144 MB

7 GB to MB = 7168 MB

8 GB to MB = 8192 MB

9 GB to MB = 9216 MB

10 GB to MB = 10240 MB

Ender9

• Ensign
  • Never give up, never surrender!
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 26, 2021, 05:33:12 PM »

Ok so I'm trying to increase RAM allocation on my mac. I have made sure Java is updated. I have an i5 so it's 64bit. I have 16gb RAM. But when I change the values in starsector_mac.sh to try to use 4gb (with values of "-Xms6144m -Xmx6144m -Xss2048k") it just says "The application "Starsector.app" can't be opened." (I also tried at 4gb with 4096 values for both). Anyone know what might be causing the problem?

Fixed it thanks to Histidine on discord!

"best I can think of is that your text editor is adding a BOM character to the file, or otherwise messing up the formatting"

Yep downloaded TextMate and made the same changes and it started no problem.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2021, 05:56:48 PM by Ender9 »

ImperialGit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: January 08, 2022, 07:47:30 AM »

I just want to say thank you again for all the information in this thread. With the new update I forgot to alter the file.

For others looking for the info:

1 GB to MB = 1024 MB

2 GB to MB = 2048 MB

3 GB to MB = 3072 MB

4 GB to MB = 4096 MB

5 GB to MB = 5120 MB

6 GB to MB = 6144 MB

7 GB to MB = 7168 MB

8 GB to MB = 8192 MB

9 GB to MB = 9216 MB

10 GB to MB = 10240 MB

Thanks for the conversion rates; don't know if it will solve my problems, but thanks for taking the time to post :)

GamertagzFTW

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: February 04, 2022, 02:07:48 PM »

Can't modify vmparams, and cant even launch with mods. says I don't HAVE a mod directory.

Crimsonlance1

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 09, 2022, 03:38:41 AM »

Sup, Need some help here. so, been trying to improve the memory usage so I can install mods. Now I know I have 24g of Ram and about 407mb of VRam ,but when changing the Xms and Xmx in the vmparams in the starsector file. Know it just shows the vmparams data with a large red circle with a white X mark, and not running. Now when I run the Batch file I press a key and it disappears having no affect. I have been looking into ways to fix it but most of the posts are 7 years old. If someone could walk me through this I would appreciate it. Sorry for the paragraph.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #427 on: February 09, 2022, 08:02:47 PM »

Sup, Need some help here. so, been trying to improve the memory usage so I can install mods. Now I know I have 24g of Ram and about 407mb of VRam ,but when changing the Xms and Xmx in the vmparams in the starsector file. Know it just shows the vmparams data with a large red circle with a white X mark, and not running. Now when I run the Batch file I press a key and it disappears having no affect. I have been looking into ways to fix it but most of the posts are 7 years old. If someone could walk me through this I would appreciate it. Sorry for the paragraph.
If an error popup appears, post it (screenshot or Ctrl+C). But anyway it sounds like you broke the vmparams.
For now, the easiest way is to download one of the premade vmparams files. There are links halfway down the first post of the thread, added a bit earlier today.

(Also, do you seriously have just 407 MB of VRAM? That sounds like it shouldn't even be able to run the base game...)

Freakycrafter

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 18, 2022, 05:13:45 AM »

Hey, I got a quick question: I play with a lotta mods and even when I set the game to 8 gb RAM it still lags, not too much, it's still playable but it's definitely noticeable and annoying sometimes.

Whenever I try to set the RAM above 8 gb though the game tells me that having over 8 gb allocated may lead to worse performance. Is this due to a game limitation or something or simply because whatever reports this thinks that my system doesnt have enough RAM?
It's just that I got a pc with 64 gigs of RAM and I could easily just assign even 32 gb if I wanted to without having any system problems or whatever.
Should I just assign more than 8 gb or leave it at that little?

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #429 on: February 20, 2022, 06:22:36 PM »

Hey, I got a quick question: I play with a lotta mods and even when I set the game to 8 gb RAM it still lags, not too much, it's still playable but it's definitely noticeable and annoying sometimes.

Whenever I try to set the RAM above 8 gb though the game tells me that having over 8 gb allocated may lead to worse performance. Is this due to a game limitation or something or simply because whatever reports this thinks that my system doesnt have enough RAM?
It's just that I got a pc with 64 gigs of RAM and I could easily just assign even 32 gb if I wanted to without having any system problems or whatever.
Should I just assign more than 8 gb or leave it at that little?
First make sure the issue is actually from lack of RAM; it takes a pretty extreme modlist to stress that. Things like e.g. post-battle lag (fixed by the Java 8 unofficial fix on the Discord server) are a different issue.

IIRC the 8 GB recommended limit is due to how the default Java garbage collector works. There's a set of alternative vmparams files using the G1GC collector, I've copied the post below:

G1GC VMParam Collection v.1.1.1 (0.95.1 Compatible)
Note: the only compatible Java 8 are version 271, please check pinned post in #modded_gameplay

Download
Windows:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1tO6rxVPQQS4ICgWNzHUFbjiPa6AgXYhQ&export=download
Linux Distro:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=1GmvL4H43r6PmvZbzKqzHNC7tHM7U0fZm&export=download
MacOS:
https://drive.google.com/uc?id=124yMChlacYYdosEngoDhQtOl7Kk1PCUb&export=download

Changelogs :
-Disable SystemGC, its unnecessary (JRE7/JRE8)
-Show Error Dialog instead of failing to launch silently (JRE8)
-Now come in three different flavor for Windows, Linux-based Distro, MacOS

Ever frustrated why your startup loading times is so awful?, got a high-end PC and want to use more of its memory size and speed?, or optimize your potato laptop to play this game?.. we got you covered from 1 to 11GB VMParam. Brought to you lovingly after a week of testing.

Packs Included:
- JRE7 Safe Pack
- JRE8 Safe/Aggresive/Dangerous Pack
- For 1/2/3/4/6/8GB
- G1GC Hide Leak Messages mods

Key differences between packs
All share the same trait of having a low latency multi-threaded GC (the janitor you may call it) to reclaim unused memory and make the game smooth. For starter I recommending the Safe pack but if you trust your high end PC to pack a punch do give Dangerous pack a go. As for people who're curious about what this do read the Documentation.txt included on each pack.

Known issues
- Due to how the mod works, the game may show "Memory Leak! Campaign Duplicates" over time. This is okay!

- However if one of your mod list does have a memory leak.. this mod may fail to clean extra copies.

Fully save compatible! If the game doesn't launch after you replace the vmparam and you're using JRE8 pack, make sure the jre folder is already swapped with JRE8!

TreeasaurusRex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: March 23, 2022, 11:25:12 PM »

I couldnt find it asked anywhere else, Im exhausted today but Im trying to remember how the hell to do it but I cant seem to figure out how to change my VRAM thats allocated? Or does it do that automatically on its own?? 

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #431 on: March 24, 2022, 05:52:42 AM »

Look at the first post in the thread; has instructions on which file and how to edit, and (recommended) links to premade files you can just download.

TreeasaurusRex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: March 29, 2022, 08:21:32 PM »

Look at the first post in the thread; has instructions on which file and how to edit, and (recommended) links to premade files you can just download.
I have to be missing something because it gives us the files needed to change your RAM allocation and the downloads necessary, but the only thing I've read is the estimations of how VRAM is used and such. It does not state or point out anywhere how you are supposed to actually change the allocation for VRAM. That or I'm legit blind cause I swear Ive reread that entire first page waaaaaaaaay too much lol....

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #433 on: March 30, 2022, 05:41:00 PM »

Oops, misread, sorry...

Yeah, VRAM allocation can't be changed, game automatically uses what is available.

TreeasaurusRex

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: March 30, 2022, 07:36:18 PM »

Oops, misread, sorry...

Yeah, VRAM allocation can't be changed, game automatically uses what is available.
O ffs loooool I shoulda known VRAM is allocated automatically  :o ;D but at least I know Im not misreading a bunch of stuff so Im not THAT old yet XD
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30