Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513189 times)

Sleeeper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #405 on: October 31, 2020, 11:30:39 PM »

or just like -Xms6g -Xmx6g

Oberonmeister

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: February 17, 2021, 05:54:35 AM »

Hi there! I have a problem. I'm not a new player but I just don't know how to solve it. I recently decided to get some more mods than I usually use to enjoy more endgame content since i'ts just not much to do after certain moment in the game. For my last save I've got about 30 mods (all libs, grand sector, vayra sector, nex, about 20 factions and some misc mods like unknown skies, some more ships and systems etc. just to improve variety). I knew a lot of mods requires more resources for jre to work properly so I've allocated 6G for it from the start. I've played for about 20 hours in total and then started to get GC overhead errors. I googled it and found out it was lack of RAM allocated for jre so garbage collector couldn't work. I was surprised since OP here says 6G would be plenty for all existing mods combined. So, I've increased the heap to 8G and was able to play about 6 more hours before I started to get GC overhead again. AFAIK jre can't really chew more than 8G, so it seems like this is the end of my game here, and it was giong so well, I just put my first colony... I REALLY don't want to drop it. I could potentially allocate 10G but my RAM is not infinite and I just can't be sure that all I get from it wouldn't be another couple of hours, and after that I wouldn't be able to save again.

It is a major bummer since I have a friend who has about twice number of mods than I do (all mods I have and about 30 more) and he never had any trouble with them even though he only has 6G heap and he plays his save much longer than I do.

My system is quite old except GTX 1060 6G, I've got a very old i5 2400 and 16G of DDR2, so the game is slow but I don't mind it much, I just want it to save. It shouldn't matter how old is the hardware as long as you have enough RAM, right?

Here's the last part of the log after it fails to save:
Spoiler
7310788 [Thread-16] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving progress: 0.46897376
7310788 [Thread-16] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Releasing context
7310788 [Thread-16] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Released context
7311181 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Error saving game
7311181 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Renaming [campaign.xml.bak] to [campaign.xml]
7311181 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Renaming [descriptor.xml.bak] to [descriptor.xml]
7311182 [Thread-4] ERROR com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - GC overhead limit exceeded
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: GC overhead limit exceeded
   at java.util.Arrays.copyOfRange(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.String.<init>(Unknown Source)
   at java.lang.StringBuffer.toString(Unknown Source)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.peekElement(PathTracker.java:133)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.io.path.PathTracker.getPath(PathTracker.java:169)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:53)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:274)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:250)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:213)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMa rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:144)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:90)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:58)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller$1.convertAnother(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:84)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hallField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:274)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.writeField(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:250)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:209)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.doMa rshal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:144)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter.mars hal(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:90)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.AbstractReferenceMarshaller.convert(AbstractReferenceMarshaller.java:69)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.converters.reflection.AbstractReflectionConverter$2.<init>(AbstractReflectionConverter.java:213)
   at com.thoughtworks.xstream.core.TreeMarshaller.convertAnother(TreeMarshaller.java:43)
7311183 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 9 (exception)
7311183 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 10 (exception)
7311183 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 11 (exception)
7311183 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 12 (exception)
7311183 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 13 (exception)
7311183 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 14 (exception)
7311257 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 15 (exception)
7311262 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Loading stage 16 (exception)
[close]

I'm not sure the other part is important but I can attach the whole file if needed.

BTW, the console says jre only uses like 1,4G so I'm just out of ideas... Please help if you can.

P.S. Okay, I've tried to increase the heap to 10G just to test it and now I'm getting all sorts of stack overflow errors instead while trying to save. I think this campaign is unsalvageable at this point.

P.P.S.Well, either this topic is dead-dead, or I just posted this in a wrong place, or maybe just nobody is interested in this. Anyway, it seems I missed the most obvious thing whlie trying to troubleshoot my issue, which is actually updating mods. Some of them that I think are the most important ones were quite old and missing a few major updates. I didn't really expect major improvement from updating but it actually did improve my experience a lot. So, if you have a similar issue, just try updating first.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 06:39:20 AM by Oberonmeister »

RT_Neiron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 11, 2021, 12:57:14 PM »

Console - freeVram 2.5gb.  in battle 18 fps  :'( Why this game take only 500mb Vram ?  (
« Last Edit: March 11, 2021, 01:14:40 PM by RT_Neiron »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 12, 2021, 01:01:04 AM »

What are your system specs and also your mod list RT_Neiron?

NYNJA

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 12, 2021, 02:58:15 AM »

Ok, sorry i havent gamed much in the last few years or posted but now im curious again about new mods, and wonder if this is why i cant make some work or even start up. The industrial evolution mod is something i wanted way back but didnt even exist, and now it does. i deleted all mods, and redownloaded all mods, and when i try to start up, with just ML,LL,GL, and IE clicked in boxxes , it still fatal null errors and im wondering if someone can help me figure out why? i see this thread mentions maybe its a VRAM/RAM issue and yes my PC is an old swapmeet junkbox lol.  2gig amd460windforce, 1 gig athlon APU, and 6Gigs of RAM. Anyone maybe able to help me figure out how i can make it work or why it wont? Thanks gamebuds.

NyNjA

NYNJA

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 12, 2021, 03:26:14 AM »

i tried to adjust the VMPARAMS, and now it wont even launch so i messed it up somehow lol. this is what my vmparams looks like can someone maybe gimme a correct one to copypaste? :

java.exe -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m-Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #411 on: March 12, 2021, 07:07:53 AM »

Post the actual error message from starsector.log if you want help getting a mod to run. Also you shouldn't need to modify vmparams just for one non-library mod.

Anyway my modded vmparams is
Code
java.exe -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms5g -Xmx5g -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
If you only have 6 GB total RAM it's likely the game isn't starting because you allocated more RAM to it than the system has free at the moment. Lower your allocation.

NYNJA

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 12, 2021, 07:30:09 AM »

I think i totally and entirely fixed it by doin a FRESH install. 34 mods and counting and not a single crash yet. some ive had crash 100% of the time before. i cannot stress it enough to wipe all starsector everything and do a full blown refresh. core game, mods , everything. by messing with stuff like vmparam i broke it worse. a full on reduex fixxed literally everything!  :D

NYNJA

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: March 12, 2021, 07:31:32 AM »

Thanks for the reply bud, i can look at that and hopefully learn how it should be properly written out in case of issues in the future when i end up with multiple folders of starsector next time !

Malignity.

• Ensign
  • Hi, im on steam, if you want to add me: PM =)
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 13, 2021, 02:28:34 PM »

good day, i have the same problem als nynja. changed the vmparams and now the game wont start at all. there is no error message in the log either.
The night draws near and daylight fades
Ignore the voices discard the day
For the brand new darkness for the bright new way
Hit

Eliot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 13, 2021, 07:01:53 PM »

Step 2: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1536m -Xmx1536m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector.  These numbers should be the same value.  For example, "-Xms4096m -Xmx4096m" allocates 4 GB of memory for the game.
]

Where do I find that under LINUX?
I wish there was a config file in the $HOME directory or at least in .starsector directory.
Why does the launcher - the most logically place - not have such an option?
Or why does it not determine how much memory the maschine has and configs itself properly?
With tons of tabs and zram (something linux has and windows does not) and other background tasks I use about 8GB of 32GB.
In the Taskmanager I see the java-server blah -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m but I see no way to change it.

thx in advance,

Eliot.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #416 on: April 13, 2021, 07:05:52 PM »

For Linux, edit your starsector.sh file.

Memory configuration in launcher was indeed in the original release of 0.95, but removed in a hotfix due to causing strange, difficult-to-repro bugs ingame. I heard that it can still be enabled in data/config/settings.json

Eliot

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 13, 2021, 07:40:37 PM »

For Linux, edit your starsector.sh file.

Memory configuration in launcher was indeed in the original release of 0.95, but removed in a hotfix due to causing strange, difficult-to-repro bugs ingame. I heard that it can still be enabled in data/config/settings.json

There is no "starsector.sh" file... The launcher is "starsector" ... but the file in /usr/bin is a bash script without .sh ... :)
So thx a lot :)

best,

Eliot.

GerdyBird43

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 14, 2021, 10:52:36 AM »

« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 06:36:22 PM by GerdyBird43 »

Kothyxaan

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: September 20, 2021, 04:04:40 PM »

Ok I am having a problem with the memory allocation.

Win 10 OS, 16gb memory.
amd ryzen 7 4800h with radeon graphics 290ghz processor (HP Pavilion Gaming Laptop 15-ec1xxx)

I have changed the vmparams to:
-Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms3072m -Xmx9216m -Xss2048k

The game loads but warns me of not having enough memory.
"Minimum JVM RAM allocation exceeds half of the system RAM"
"JVM RAM not allocated to maximum at start"

Also in the task manager it shows the game as:
starsector.exe (32bit) and using 0.5mb memory.
Java(TM) Platform SE Binary (2) is using 2415.8 mb

Using console commands shows:
Memory used: 3% (278.5 mb/8 gb)
Free VRAM: 51.3 mb

I had no problem with an older version of this game, but this was on my old laptop with windows 7 OS, HP Pavilion AK-114na (I think), 16 gb memory.

I think it might be the graphics card.
It has in properties:
Total Available Memory: 8377 mb
Dedicated Memory Available: 512 mb
Shared System Memory: 7865 mb

Help appreciated.

*UPDATE*
Well I let the game run and it seems to work fine, despite memory leak warnings...
I did read somewhere on this site (after posting) that the vram warning, when you are using mods are now a thing, but the game seems to work fine.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:59:41 PM by Kothyxaan »
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30