Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513124 times)

Reavenant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #390 on: May 21, 2020, 03:38:12 AM »

Vram is automatically allocated by the video card driver.

Yes, I do know that. I'm an IT guy but not a Java programmer :) They way I've understood the OP there is a option in SS's setting to force a given VRAM value. I believe there should be a way for us to force a given/set VRAM value during the loading process like in ESB/reshade plugins for other games however my knowledge of Java does not allow me to come up with idea how to do it. Is it even possible?

Best regards

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 21, 2020, 03:35:19 PM »

No, you cannot set vram allocation.

Avanitia

• Commander
  • Local Egg Demon
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 21, 2020, 03:42:54 PM »

You can only set RAM allocation through xmx and xms values in vmparams file located in Starsector's directory.
VRAM is allocated automatically.
You haven't played Starsector unless your storage has one thousand Vulcans in it.

iceball3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: June 16, 2020, 09:07:49 PM »

A question: can starsector accept compressed jpegs as ship images instead of png? Will the smaller filesize have a notable impact on video-ram requirements?
Some ship designs from mods, I've noticed, are grungy enough that jpeg artifacts could be mistaken for the collection of permanent-d-mod-style damage that is in the vein of those particular mods, like junk-pirates or similar.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: June 16, 2020, 09:42:50 PM »

No, .jpg does not support transparency so using it for something like ship sprites won't fly. In addition, file mass has *zero* impact on vram usage. It is purely based on the image canvas size.
Code
Round up width and height to a power of 2
Width * height
* 4 (24-bit depth with 8-bit alpha)
* 4 / 3 (mipmaps)
= Bytes

iceball3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: June 16, 2020, 10:10:41 PM »

No, .jpg does not support transparency so using it for something like ship sprites won't fly. In addition, file mass has *zero* impact on vram usage. It is purely based on the image canvas size.
Code
Round up width and height to a power of 2
Width * height
* 4 (24-bit depth with 8-bit alpha)
* 4 / 3 (mipmaps)
= Bytes
Awwh, that's a bit of a bummer too! I just managed to find out that a lot of the sprites as png could be lossy-compressed, but if it's canvas size only, the only thing that could be done is trimming the transparent edges (and I'm uncertain if that'll do much of a number on it.)

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: June 16, 2020, 10:19:35 PM »

That won't change anything in 99.99% of cases due to how it needs to be a power of 2 and rounded up if it is not for the calc to mimic what is going on under the hood.

And some level of transparency excess is actually needed, for quality to be maintained when sprites are rotated.

iceball3

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: June 16, 2020, 10:58:02 PM »

I do appreciate you going through the effort to let me know it's not a feasible solution anyway. I suppose I'm not the first one who had the idea? :P

Titann

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: July 06, 2020, 04:26:29 AM »

I am planning to buy new graphics card
is gtx 1050 with 4gb vram and 8gb ram enough for me to play with around 15-30 mods enabled? I currently have gtx 550 ti with 1 gb vram and i cant even play with more than 6-7 mod enabled. it basically crashed to desktop when i try to save game
« Last Edit: July 06, 2020, 04:28:59 AM by tokmak333 »

reue01

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 20, 2020, 08:19:37 PM »

Hi so i am having a problem getting the vmparams.bat to work

I have it set up as so: java.exe -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms15360m -Xmx15360m -Xss3072k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.10.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

My specs are: Windows 10 64-bit/ 32 GB of ram/ AMD ryzen 5 1400 quard-core/ AMD radeon RX570

My issue: I am trying to run starsector.exe and it says it can't read my vmparams file. (vmparams.bat)

Mod list:active-gates/ anvil industries/ approlight/ audio plus/ autosave/ better colonies/ blackrock drive yards/ capturecrew/ combat chatter/ cops/ dassault-mikoyan engineering 1.18/ diableavionics/ ed shipyard/ fds/ foundation of borken/ graphicslib/ hyperdrive/ ice/ industrial.evolution1.7.b/ interesting portraits pack/ interstellar imperium/ kadur remnant/ lazylib/ leading pip/ legacy of arkgneisis/ lightshow/ magiclib/ metelson/ new beginnings/ nexerelin/polaris_prime/ portrait pack/ sd_boardable_unboardable/ ship and weapon pack/ skilledup/ speedup/ tahlan/ terraforming and station construstion/ tiandong heavy industries 1.2.1a/ transfer all items/ transponder-reminders/ tyrador safequard coalition/ vayra's sector/ version checker/ vesperon-1.2.0

let me know if you need any more info to help me,and thanks in advance.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #400 on: August 20, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »

If you edit the .bat file, you run that, not starsector.exe. For that, you edit the vmparams file in Starsector root folder.
You can't copy the contents of one to the other directly since they're in different directories relative to the java exe. The bat file starts with ..\jre\bin\java.exe while the vmparams file has just java.exe

Also you currently have 15 GiB of RAM allocated. I'm not sure that's even supported; go above 6 GB only if you need it.

reue01

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 29, 2020, 04:33:11 PM »

If you edit the .bat file, you run that, not starsector.exe. For that, you edit the vmparams file in Starsector root folder.
You can't copy the contents of one to the other directly since they're in different directories relative to the java exe. The bat file starts with ..\jre\bin\java.exe while the vmparams file has just java.exe

Also you currently have 15 GiB of RAM allocated. I'm not sure that's even supported; go above 6 GB only if you need it.

thanks

ganjax

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 30, 2020, 05:54:03 AM »

I have a error say error reading vmparams file.

I edited the default number for 4096 I think 4g and the vmparams file is a txt.

how I turn it back to normal file?

*EDIT*
FIXED
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 06:07:51 AM by ganjax »

fellabrando

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: October 05, 2020, 07:13:15 PM »

You gotta edit it in notepad++.

Also...

What is the number for allocating 6 GB of system ram to the game?

Boudowijn

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: October 17, 2020, 06:27:17 AM »

What is the number for allocating 6 GB of system ram to the game?
My guess is 4096 * 1.5 = 6144
But feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 30