Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513134 times)

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #375 on: March 03, 2020, 10:41:20 AM »

How much should I allocate?
Unfortunately, an exact prediction of Heap usage isn't possible.  Here are some rough estimates:

1.3 GB Heap: The most you can get on a 32-bit OS.  Having a bunch of faction mods will cause crashing, especially when saving the game.  Avoid using DynaSector.

2 GB Heap: This is good enough for perhaps two or three medium-size factions (e.g. Blackrock Drive Yards, Scy Nation), but is liable to crash when saving the game if you use more than that.  If you have only 4 GB of System RAM, this is the best you can do.

3 GB Heap: Sufficient for a mix of a couple large factions (e.g. Interstellar Imperium, Shadowyards) and several medium-size factions.  Don't go overboard, though.  Recommended for people with 6 GB of System RAM.

4 GB Heap: Most combinations of mods will work with a 4 GB heap; only some of the craziest configurations (a dozen or more factions, plus Nexerelin and DynaSector) will overload this.  Recommended for people with 8 GB of System RAM or more.

6 GB Heap: Even if you activated every single mod at the same time, 6 GB would still be enough.  Not recommended unless you have a ton of mods, and you happen to have 12 GB of System RAM or more.

im planing to use 50 or little bit mods and i have 16 gigs of ram and a 6 gig ov VRAM.
till now i used 8196 but after a while my game stars to lag A LOT between 16-19 FPS when traveling stars so i wonder what is considered TONS of mods and what do you people with experience think how much should i allocate

thanx in advance
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:56:24 AM by tindrli »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: March 03, 2020, 05:16:32 PM »

What is your mod list when you were experiencing issues like that? Also what are your system specs?

And please consider editing your post to not quote the entirety of the original post of this thread.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: March 03, 2020, 07:25:31 PM »

Also, there have been quite a few posts in the modded support about large mod lists causing frame problems: it is very likely that some mod(s) has a severe memory leak, but we don't know which. In this case allocating more memory will only delay the problem, not fix it.

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: March 04, 2020, 11:19:15 AM »

What is your mod list when you were experiencing issues like that? Also what are your system specs?

And please consider editing your post to not quote the entirety of the original post of this thread.
sorry sir. i didn't expect that someone will answer my question that fast. in a meantime i did download some more mods  and i started a new game. to be honest im playing starsector for more than 3 months now without playing anything else wich is strange at least. i cant remember playing anything this long not even HOMM 3 without brake offs. i started playing vanilla and later on i said hell why dont expand it a little and here i am now same as most of us. i just started  Adjusted sector without changing anything and its HUGE.. too Huge for me at moment but  anyway to the point now that we cleared how hooked i am.

i downloaded some more mods without turning off any old ones that i had so if there are some mods that is commony known to cause issues please let me know i would be eternally grateful.
those are my mods now. i sorted them alphabeticly here thinking that it would be easier to check.. now when i look this list im not that sure :/
Spoiler

{"enabledMods": [
Adjusted Sector,
ArkLeg,
artefact,
audio_plus,
blackrock_driveyards,
Boggled Station Construction,
bonomel_skilledup,
chatter,
CombatAnalytics,
COPS,
diableavionics,
DisassembleReassemble,
edshipyard,
FDS,
gates_awakened,
gs,
hiigaran_descendants,
HMI,
Imperium,
interestingportraitspack,
istl_dam,
junk_pirates_release,
kadur_remnant,
luddenhance,
lw_autosave,
lw_lazylib,
lw_radar,
lw_version_checker,
MagicLib,
Mayasuran Navy,
mayorate,
Neutrino,
nexerelin,
ORA,
portrait,
prv
raccoonarms,
sad,
SCY,
shaderLib,
shadow_ships,
speedUp,
sun_starship_legends,
swp,
Sylphon_RnD,
tahlan,
THI,
timid_admins,
timid_commissioned_hull_mods,
timid_supply_forging,
TORCHSHIPS,
transfer_all_items,
TS_Coalition,
underworld,
US,
vayrasector,
vayrashippack,
XhanEmpire,
XLU,
yrex,
yrxp,                                                         
[close]

and my system specs.
Predator helios 300 G3 571
Windows 10 home
CPU i7 7700HQ
RAM 16 GIG
GPU 1060 with 6gigs of VRAM
256GB m.2 sata ssd

Also, there have been quite a few posts in the modded support about large mod lists causing frame problems: it is very likely that some mod(s) has a severe memory leak, but we don't know which. In this case allocating more memory will only delay the problem, not fix it.

thanx for reply. can you also check out my list when you find some time and help me figure out what mods should i avoid to say it like that at least.

best regards to all.. damn great game
« Last Edit: March 04, 2020, 10:45:56 PM by tindrli »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: March 04, 2020, 04:09:00 PM »

That system also has an IGPU, have you made sure it is using your gtx1060? If using your IGPU, you will most certainly have issues.

Don't increase RAM allocation above 8gb.

Also that is a flipping huge mod list, even if using your actual video card you might be running out of VRAM even with the 6gb that it has. You can look in the task manager in Win10 to check that, once you confirm if it isn't using your IGPU to begin with.

Also check in game using the Console Command mod to see RAM usage.

Adjusted Sector is a known mod to cause performance issues on many systems as it makes the Sector so much larger, plus you got a TON of content mods increasing the amount of Stuff over vanilla by several orders of magnitude.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: March 04, 2020, 05:19:25 PM »

Adjusted Sector is a known mod to cause performance issues on many systems as it makes the Sector so much larger, plus you got a TON of content mods increasing the amount of Stuff over vanilla by several orders of magnitude.
To add to this: In general the more systems there are, the more of an impact there is on performance
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

tindrli

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: March 04, 2020, 10:52:23 PM »

That system also has an IGPU, have you made sure it is using your gtx1060? If using your IGPU, you will most certainly have issues.

Don't increase RAM allocation above 8gb.

Also that is a flipping huge mod list, even if using your actual video card you might be running out of VRAM even with the 6gb that it has. You can look in the task manager in Win10 to check that, once you confirm if it isn't using your IGPU to begin with.

Also check in game using the Console Command mod to see RAM usage.

yes in nvidia control panel i set up starsector to use 1060 also i have that psense software that monitors temperature of cpu and gpu so i can confirm that the game is using 1060 gpu because when not it says idle there.
i disabled adjusted sector since i dont know how to configure it to my taste. i will try to see how much ram my game uses when game starts to crawl

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: March 29, 2020, 10:52:51 AM »

Can someone help me to fix my issue?
Yesterday evening i edited the settings.json file to increase the max fleet size (30 -> 50), max battle size (500 -> 1000) and max combat zoom (2.0 -> 2.5), and since then the game doesn't run fluidly on the campaign map anymore (it makes a small pause every second or so).
Also i can't save anymore, it gives me this message
Once it ave me another message with something about stack overflow but i couldn't screenshot it.
even allocating 6 GB of RAM didn't help and i'm really annoyed by this stuff.
My graphics card has 2 GB of memory and i have the following mods enabled :
Autosave
Better Colonies
Boggled Terraforming
Combat Analytics
Combat Chatter
Console Commands
Grand sector
LazyLib
SpeedUp
Supply Forging
Transfer all items
Unknown Skies
Vayra's Sector
Vayra's Ship Pack

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: March 29, 2020, 08:52:49 PM »

Post starsector.log file.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: March 30, 2020, 06:01:41 AM »

how do i do that? It's too big to attach here. I tried to make a Google Doc but that doesn't work either for some reason an it's too big for pastebin.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 06:13:05 AM by Jackundor »

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: March 30, 2020, 12:41:37 PM »

I have copied the parts that i think are relevant in another file. It is the entire part about saving i think.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: March 30, 2020, 01:36:40 PM »

Using grand sector and increased fleet sizes together will massively increase the ram requirement, way beyond 6GB.

Jackundor

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: March 30, 2020, 04:24:08 PM »

ah ***... then i'll have problems in my current campaign... on the other hand, i didn't plan to use Grand Sector for my next campaign anyways... takes too long to explore everything... thanks for the advice though.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 04:35:30 PM by Jackundor »

Reavenant

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 20, 2020, 05:20:30 AM »

Hello,

Maybe I'm missing something but what's the setting which controls how much VRAM is assigned to Starsector?

Best regards

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 20, 2020, 05:33:16 PM »

Vram is automatically allocated by the video card driver.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30