Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513144 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #330 on: July 10, 2017, 01:44:19 AM »

Hi guys, I'm playing starsector on ubuntu 17.04, and everything is going pretty well (mostly), but I need to increase the RAM allocated so I can use mods. However, there appears to be no 'vmparams' file as part of the linux install. How do I allocate more ram? Thanks.

If you go in to edit the starsector.sh file within the starsector base directory, you should see all the necessary parameters (associated with -Xms / -Xmx etc.) there - just swap out the parameters as per the OP.

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #331 on: July 10, 2017, 10:25:24 AM »

Hi folks, silly question, having the memory issues have tried to adjust the memory as I like throwing on a ton of mods but having a problem with what I should use to open and save the vmparams file as.  It only shows up as  file for me and has no extension I can see.  I am using windows 10.  If someone could tell me what format to save it in I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks in advance ;D

It's just a text file without an extension.  File extensions are purely aesthetic and don't affect how the file works; make sure that when you edit the file, it doesn't get renamed to "vmparams.txt", which will break it.

Owl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: July 13, 2017, 06:51:55 PM »

Thanks heaps Revenant, solves my issue

leodeluxe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: August 09, 2017, 05:23:58 AM »

Hey Guys, i need some help.

I installed the Mod "Nexerelin v0.8.1c". Everything worked fine at the beginning.
After i spend my Skillpoints and the game wanted to start, it crashed and gives me the Error:

"Fatal: org/lazywizard/lazylib/MathUtils
Cause: org.lazywizard.lazylib.MathUtils"

What can i do here?

Thanks for your help! :)

Nice regards

Leo

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #334 on: August 09, 2017, 05:27:30 AM »

Hey Guys, i need some help.

I installed the Mod "Nexerelin v0.8.1c". Everything worked fine at the beginning.
After i spend my Skillpoints and the game wanted to start, it crashed and gives me the Error:

"Fatal: org/lazywizard/lazylib/MathUtils
Cause: org.lazywizard.lazylib.MathUtils"

What can i do here?
You need the LazyLib mod

leodeluxe

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: August 09, 2017, 05:36:10 AM »

Stupid me... thanks a lot.
And sorry, i just saw, that i postet in the wrong topic...

Nice regards!

Leo

BYarchitect

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: November 28, 2017, 03:57:30 AM »

Hi, i have are question . I installed all the mods from this list https://pastebin.com/MRgzWkpF, but after 4-6 hours in the game i have crash on saving. Xms and Xmx in VMPRAMS file changed to 12gb. Maybe anybody can tell me how can i fix this crash??

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: November 28, 2017, 02:36:32 PM »

Hi, i have are question . I installed all the mods from this list https://pastebin.com/MRgzWkpF, but after 4-6 hours in the game i have crash on saving. Xms and Xmx in VMPRAMS file changed to 12gb. Maybe anybody can tell me how can i fix this crash??

12 gig allocation is WAY too much and will cause issues even if you have a monster rig!

OK so Nemo's modlist *is* stable but you need a pretty good rig to run it and properly set your ram allocation. So assuming your rig has 12 or more gigs of ram, and 3 or more gigs of vram on a discrete video card all you need to do to play his modlist problem-free is... Set SS's ram allocation to 6 gigs :)

BYarchitect

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: November 28, 2017, 08:50:03 PM »

12 gig allocation is WAY too much and will cause issues even if you have a monster rig!

OK so Nemo's modlist *is* stable but you need a pretty good rig to run it and properly set your ram allocation. So assuming your rig has 12 or more gigs of ram, and 3 or more gigs of vram on a discrete video card all you need to do to play his modlist problem-free is... Set SS's ram allocation to 6 gigs :)
Thanks a lot! I will try this.

gotry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: December 11, 2017, 02:04:46 PM »

I modified the vmparams file to say -Xms8192m -Xmx8192m, but running starsector .bat, the game still doesn't seem to use more than 1.5 gb of ram. Someone said something about replacing a jre file? Which file?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: December 11, 2017, 07:39:38 PM »

If you're running starsector.bat, you need to modify the parameters in the .bat file directly - only the .exe uses vmparams. Also, I'd suggest running with 6 gigs instead - afaik that's enough for a very heavily modded game, and using more can actually cause problems.

Edit: also, you probably won't see the memory usage in task manager or other such match what you've specified via the parameters until it actually needs that much memory, so you'll see it go up gradually.

gotry

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: December 12, 2017, 04:12:00 AM »

If you're running starsector.bat, you need to modify the parameters in the .bat file directly - only the .exe uses vmparams. Also, I'd suggest running with 6 gigs instead - afaik that's enough for a very heavily modded game, and using more can actually cause problems.

Edit: also, you probably won't see the memory usage in task manager or other such match what you've specified via the parameters until it actually needs that much memory, so you'll see it go up gradually.

Ah, I see that now. Reason why I was running the .bat to begin with was that the .exe file won't launch. Can't figure out why, I installed 64bit java 7 and all.

When the .bat params are set to 6g the java.exe process takes up 2.5g of ram on launch, so at least the .bat file seems to be working correctly.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: December 12, 2017, 10:52:59 AM »

Ah, I see that now. Reason why I was running the .bat to begin with was that the .exe file won't launch. Can't figure out why,

Yeah, there's a pretty rare issue where the exe just refuses to run on certain systems - haven't been able to track it down, unfortunately. Not sure if it's related to what's installed on the system, the OS version, anti-virus, or something else.

I installed 64bit java 7 and all.

Shouldn't need to do that, btw - the game comes with it now and should install 32 or 64 bit java based on your system.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: February 04, 2018, 11:22:28 PM »

I reinstalled the game fresh and all the mods and I am hung up here.

Instead of Xms1536m I want to put Xms3G is that possible?  Also Xss1024k does that stay as that or do I need to change that?

Code will look like this

\\windows -Xms3g -Xmx8g -Xss1024k -classpath
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 11:25:33 PM by facc00 »

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:36 AM »

Spec the same ram for min and max, and do not change Xss.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 30