Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513305 times)

arwan

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #315 on: May 25, 2017, 04:09:58 AM »

the new version 0.8.1a comes with 64 bit version of java 7. 7u79

if you have not already i would get the new version. also in this version the memory allocation was bumped up slightly. something like ~1300 mb.

i would assume, though i have not tested it myself, that changing the vmparams would be the same if one wanted to bump up the memory allocation still. and since the game is coming with 64 bit. it may be less temperamental.
Alex
You won't be able to refit fighters and bombers at all. They're designed/balanced around having a particular set of weapons and would be very broken if you could change it. Which ones you pick for your fleet -out of quite a few that are available- is the choice here, not how they're outfitted.

evildog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: May 25, 2017, 10:37:31 AM »

Is the new version out yet? I tried looking for it but the only download I can find is for version .8a

Botaragno

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: May 30, 2017, 12:32:50 PM »

Yeah cheers Java is a stable coding platform and I love it

When's the 64 bit launcher coming goddamnit

Ok never mind all that, I've got a 64 bit system, a 64 bit java, but when I change

-Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k

By SOME number, all that will happen is the launcher simply will not launch, just a flicker of a "loading wheel" and nothing else

The game will launch all fine and dandy without mods but I really do like mods

http://imgur.com/a/oOaFt

Here's what happens when I use Unknown Sky

http://imgur.com/a/8qzrH

When I use Portrait Pack, sometimes I find it works normally, sometimes it goes to a black blank screen, and sometimes it just crashes and produces this

http://imgur.com/a/R3SyK

Here's what happens when I use Interstellar Imperium

http://imgur.com/a/RvCfk

And here's what happens when I use Dassault Mikoyan

http://imgur.com/a/7oGqN

Yup
« Last Edit: May 30, 2017, 01:18:37 PM by Botaragno »
Some day the Conquest will be a viable capital..... some day....

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: May 30, 2017, 05:50:43 PM »

You are skipping a step, you need to replace the JRE in the Starsector folder.

Also, there are no "culprit mods". You just need to allocate more ram to run mods at all really.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: May 30, 2017, 07:12:14 PM »

Here is a dropbox link to java 7 u 91 64 bit with a modded VMPRAMS file. There is NO installer in this, by the way. The reason for this is because Oracle, the makers of Java, have made it where you need to have an account to download old versions. Or at least as far as I can tell.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rqmue2ktvs0utj/Java%207u91%2064%20bit%20with%202%20gig%20VMPRAMS%20changes.zip?dl=0

Here is what you do:
Note that this is for windows 7.

0. Make sure you have a 64 bit system
1. DELETE/ Recycle Bin your jre folder and VMPRAMS file
2. UNPACK the zip folder into your Starsector folder
3. PLAY with your modded SS game!

(OPTIONAL) Increase the amount of RAM allocated in the VMPRAMS file with notepad
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

evildog

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 01, 2017, 03:02:32 PM »

Here is a dropbox link to java 7 u 91 64 bit with a modded VMPRAMS file. There is NO installer in this, by the way. The reason for this is because Oracle, the makers of Java, have made it where you need to have an account to download old versions. Or at least as far as I can tell.
Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7rqmue2ktvs0utj/Java%207u91%2064%20bit%20with%202%20gig%20VMPRAMS%20changes.zip?dl=0

Here is what you do:
Note that this is for windows 7.

0. Make sure you have a 64 bit system
1. DELETE/ Recycle Bin your jre folder and VMPRAMS file
2. UNPACK the zip folder into your Starsector folder
3. PLAY with your modded SS game!

(OPTIONAL) Increase the amount of RAM allocated in the VMPRAMS file with notepad

You are the best person in the world and I want to give you a hug. This also works for Windows 10 if anyone was wondering.

Peace_Destroyer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 05, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »

Quick question: Will allocating too much memory to Starsector cause it to have problems? I know certain other Java based games [minecraft] have problems if you give them more than 4 gigs.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 05, 2017, 01:25:02 PM »

I'm curious about the same thing.

When building my current 64-bit PC I included 32 GB of RAM. Even when I have my usual various non-game programs doing their thing, CPU use is typically still under 20% and I could also allocate 6 GB for Starfarer and do it with ease. Even 8 GB on occasion, if I intended to enable every single faction mod that exists for the game (as well as go utterly berserk with Nexerelin  ;D ).

However, I would drastically rein-in my silicon horses if I knew for certain that such large RAM allocation would somehow choke Starfarer. As long as I have more than enough memory headroom for 64-bit Windows 8.1 PRO, I have trouble seeing how being more generous with the game would actually cause problems instead of solutions.  ???

Would someone out there who knows the truth be willing to explain this in a way that persons with no significant experience with Java can easily understand? Thanks.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: June 05, 2017, 02:00:44 PM »

With the caveat that I'm not 100% sure about this: I *think* if you allocate to much memory to the game, it could lead to a bit of stuttering. I probably wouldn't go about 6 gigs, and there really doesn't seem to be a reason to do so.

Peace_Destroyer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 05, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »

Thanks, I'll set it to six gigs and see what happens then. I've got 16gb of RAM here, and I'm still getting those "JVM Heap at ~80%" messages even at -Xms2048m -Xmx4092 .

Hiruma Kai

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Increase allocation! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #325 on: June 12, 2017, 06:21:00 PM »

Short Question:
How much memory are people typically allocating to run a large number of mods (say ~7 faction mods + Nexerelin +Dynasector)?

Long version:
Prior to 0.8, I remember being able to run a number of simultaneous mods, such as:

Blackrock Drive Yards
Dassault-Mikoyan Engineering
Diable Avionics
Interstellar Imperium
Scy Nation
LazyLib
Ship/Weapon Pack
Underworld
ZZ GraphicsLib
Dynasector
Nexerelin

At one point I had to raise my vmparams Xms and Xmx settings, and have been using 4096 for both for awhile.  I've got 8 gigs total ram on my machine at the moment.

I've found in 0.8/0.8.1 either after awhile of playing, or sometimes simply trying to save after starting a new game, it will stop working.

Windows will throw up a window with label "Java(TM) Platform SE binary" and the message:
"Java(TM) Platform SE binary has stopped working

A problem caused the program to stop working correctly.  Windows will close the program and notify you if a solution is available."

Similarly, the log file will report nothing as an error, but simply stop at the attempt to save.

338934 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving to ..\\saves/save_Draco_3543890802822850250...
338935 [Thread-4] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving stage 1
338962 [Thread-13] INFO  com.fs.starfarer.campaign.save.CampaignGameManager  - Saving progress: 0.0

The original campaign.xml save file may be fine (and ends approriately with a </memory></CampaignEngine>).  However, the campaign.xml.bak file looks to end mid-stream with an open tag and only a fraction of the full file size of the previous save.

This looks like a memory issue based on some of the discussion in this thread.  

Is 4 or 5 gigs sufficient for the mods I'm trying to run simultaneously?  Even just running 4 faction mods (plus Lazy and ZZ Graphics) is sufficient to run into this problem.  Interestingly, just running 2 faction mods seems okay.  

If 4 or 5 gigs isn't, I probably need to buy more memory.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 06:49:03 PM by Hiruma Kai »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: [Important!] Modded System Requirements
« Reply #326 on: June 17, 2017, 11:53:59 PM »

Updated thread to be more informative.

Aklyon

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: June 21, 2017, 12:34:01 PM »

Updated thread to be more informative.
It is indeed more informative!

cqsolace

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: July 09, 2017, 11:15:38 AM »

Hi guys, I'm playing starsector on ubuntu 17.04, and everything is going pretty well (mostly), but I need to increase the RAM allocated so I can use mods. However, there appears to be no 'vmparams' file as part of the linux install. How do I allocate more ram? Thanks.

Owl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: July 10, 2017, 12:33:54 AM »

Hi folks, silly question, having the memory issues have tried to adjust the memory as I like throwing on a ton of mods but having a problem with what I should use to open and save the vmparams file as.  It only shows up as  file for me and has no extension I can see.  I am using windows 10.  If someone could tell me what format to save it in I would appreciate it a lot.
Thanks in advance ;D
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 30