Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513241 times)

Alex_Kill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #270 on: September 19, 2016, 05:36:22 PM »

i've just found another file starsector.command here's the difference

starsector.bat

Code
..\jre\bin\java -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

starsector.command

Code
java -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Djava.library.path=./native/macosx -Xms3072m -Xmx3072m -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=mods -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar:xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=mods com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

i've already changed in command the meaning to 3072, its only began to save. i use 9 mods   3 of them is nexerelin graphic lib(shader is off) and lazy lib also junk pirates neutrino ,mayourate imperium blackros and SS+ maybe its too much for 4 gb computer?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 05:37:59 PM by Alex_Kill »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: September 19, 2016, 08:28:26 PM »

i've just found another file starsector.command here's the difference

starsector.bat

Code
..\jre\bin\java -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

starsector.command

Code
java -server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Djava.library.path=./native/macosx -Xms3072m -Xmx3072m -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=mods -classpath janino.jar:commons-compiler.jar:commons-compiler-jdk.jar:starfarer.api.jar:starfarer_obf.jar:jogg-0.0.7.jar:jorbis-0.0.15.jar:json.jar:lwjgl.jar:lwjgl_util_applet.jar:jinput.jar:lwjgl_test.jar:log4j-1.2.9.jar:lwjgl_util.jar:fs.sound_obf.jar:fs.common_obf.jar:xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=mods com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

i've already changed in command the meaning to 3072, its only began to save. i use 9 mods   3 of them is nexerelin graphic lib(shader is off) and lazy lib also junk pirates neutrino ,mayourate imperium blackros and SS+ maybe its too much for 4 gb computer?
Just to be sure, your system IS a 64 bit system right?
Most likely. Might want to drop it down to 2560 or 2048
Also I don't own a Mac so I don't know how much RAM the OS needs nor how SS works in it. How are you starting it? Are you double clicking on the .bat file?
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex_Kill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: September 19, 2016, 09:51:50 PM »

yeah macOS is 64 bit

I start .bat file using the text editor.
its all held inside the Game Package which i can run(game) by double clicking( its like a folder of a game but you can run it by double clicking on it( i have all files inside)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: September 19, 2016, 09:57:45 PM »

yeah macOS is 64 bit

I start .bat file using the text editor.
its all held inside the Game Package which i can run(game) by double clicking( its like a folder of a game but you can run it by double clicking on it( i have all files inside)
Yeah, then most likely your system OS needs more RAM, so I would drop down to 2560 or 2048

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Alex_Kill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: September 19, 2016, 10:01:44 PM »

i disabled some factions and find out that saves sometimes fails and it just throws me out to the desktop, don't you know which of files bat or command really influences RAM allocation?

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: September 20, 2016, 01:29:04 AM »

i disabled some factions and find out that saves sometimes fails and it just throws me out to the desktop, don't you know which of files bat or command really influences RAM allocation?
Not on the mac, sorry. Maybe PM Alex?

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

blaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 09, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »

Hi, I have a little trouble with this.
I have win vista 64 bit with 4GB ram.

When I follow the steps, replacing the folder and editing the file for 2048/2048, I get fps drops and stutter even in the main menu.
With the original files I have stable fps and no stutter at all.

I´d just leave it at that but I do get an error from time to time that some kind of file is too large and that it could lead to save corruption.

Any ideas?  ???

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 09, 2017, 09:55:55 AM »

Probably some of the memory that's allocated is virtual (AKA not RAM but on your HD).  When the game runs some of the used memory is on disk and when that memory is accessed Java has to wait for the HD to respond which is a LOT slower than RAM.  Also the memory that Java is allocated has to be contiguous, which can cause its own set of problems, but is most likely in this case just causing more virtual memory to be used.

Anyway, to fix your problem you'll need to reduce the amount of stuff running in memory. First, shut down any software that you aren't using while playing SS (like Word, or browsers).  If that doesn't work, next I'd search the interwebs for guides on how to tune vista for gaming.  It'll probably include using msconfig to disable a bunch of startup junk.  With 4GB of RAM you should be able to get 2GB of contiguous memory once you get what programs run on start cleaned up.

blaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 09, 2017, 10:02:52 AM »

Oh my startup programs are clean, only 6 programs in there  ;)

But if you´re right maybe I can find a sweetspot for ram. I think I´ll try something like 1536/1536 then, maybe a little more memory is enough to banish that dreadful message.

However if I open taskmanager now it says my sys uses 1.76GB Ram.

So I don´t get why the game should not be able to have another 2.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:05:48 AM by blaa »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #279 on: January 09, 2017, 10:09:32 AM »

Because Java uses significantly more memory than just 2 GB if you tell it to use 2 GB.  It could be as much as 3 GB, honestly.

blaa

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 09, 2017, 10:21:56 AM »

Ok but same thing at 1,5 GB in the file.

I have the game in main menu and get stutter and fps drop.

My task manager says it isn´t my RAM at all. The RAM sits at ~2.6GB used, but my CPU goes up to 100%...

Why would it kill my CPU like that? Again, original files = 0 problems when it comes to performance.
Most times idle = 70% or something with original files. With replaced java it goes down to idle = 15% and stutter and fps drops.

CPU is CoreDuo @ 3GHz.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 10:23:44 AM by blaa »

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 09, 2017, 10:48:10 AM »

Ooo!  This is the part where I don't actually know for sure what's going on and blame the garbage collector!!

But really, sounds like the GC is firing a lot and I'm not sure why it would fire more when you have allocated more memory vs less assuming all other things are equal.  Unless you've also enabled some mods, at which point things are not equal.

I'm out of good ideas, onto less good ideas:

* You could try using the 1.7 server JDK and then run with the -server arg, that encourages better method inlining but that won't probably help here.
* Also you could try setting CPU affinity
* disable hyperthreading in the BIOS
* Try allocating more memory, maybe that'll fix it if you're really thrashing the GC
* Disable virtual memory (most of the *** I work on it's preferable to have an OOM crash that people notice than something to run 1/100th as fast)
* Again, make sure nothing is running on your compy that you don't need to play SS

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #282 on: January 09, 2017, 01:41:32 PM »

Sounds like you have the same issue I have: 32 bit java acted like a floodgate and kept the FPS at a lower  but steady rate. Try changing your settings.json file to look like this:
    "vsync":false,
    "fps":30
    Some other questions: What is your vid card and if it is an Intel card, are you using Graphics Lib with the shaders disabled?

2021 is 2020 won
    2022 is 2020 too

blaa

• Ensign
      • View Profile
    « Reply #283 on: January 09, 2017, 01:55:07 PM »

@xrsyst:

thanks for the suggestions but no luck!  :-[

@midnight kitsune:

My card is a geforce gtx 750 ti with newest drivers.

Vsync is already false.

Java doesn´t act like a floodgate, with 32 bit java I get stable 60+ fps, with occasional drops to 50+ fps.

With 64 bit I get 5-60fps, with stutter and drops.

I use many mods from this guide:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11462.0

Nexerelin, SS+, DynaSec, misc mods, faction mods. 22 mods in total.

GraphicsLib is one of them but I think shaders are enabled.
    « Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 01:56:51 PM by blaa »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
      • View Profile
    « Reply #284 on: January 09, 2017, 02:03:39 PM »

@xrsyst:

thanks for the suggestions but no luck!  :-[

@midnight kitsune:

My card is a geforce gtx 750 ti with newest drivers.

Vsync is already false.

Java doesn´t act like a floodgate, with 32 bit java I get stable 60+ fps, with occasional drops to 50+ fps.

With 64 bit I get 5-60fps, with stutter and drops.

I use many mods from this guide:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=11462.0

Nexerelin, SS+, DynaSec, misc mods, faction mods. 22 mods in total.

GraphicsLib is one of them but I think shaders are enabled.
    I know java sounding like a flood gate is weird but it is true for me at least
    Try disabling the shaders and or setting your fps to 30.
    Another thing is that you comp may be using the integrated card instead of your dedicated one

2021 is 2020 won
    2022 is 2020 too
    Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30