Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 517185 times)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #255 on: August 02, 2016, 08:13:13 PM »

Nice, glad that's all it was!

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 04, 2016, 06:45:29 PM »

So yeah ran into this problem and it is more than likely the solution since it seems to be the solution, at any rate

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html

Java SE Runtime Environment 7u79

Java SE Runtime Environment 7u80

Which file do I want?

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 04, 2016, 07:16:59 PM »

Which file do I want?

Either will work, with obviously 80 being the latest public offered. Just go for jre-7u80-windows-x64.exe
Ignorance is bliss..

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 04, 2016, 07:23:28 PM »

Thanks that sounds good, follow up question 16GB ram installed what do I want to run this to use max memory  It says 3 GB Memory: The recommended amount for people with 8+ GB of system RAM.  This will work even for extreme use cases.

Step 4: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector. The first number is initial allocation and the second number sets the amount it's allowed to grow to when the game needs it.  For example, "-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m" starts the game with 2 GB of memory and allows the allocation to grow to 4 GB later down the line.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 04, 2016, 08:23:26 PM »

Thanks that sounds good, follow up question 16GB ram installed what do I want to run this to use max memory  It says 3 GB Memory: The recommended amount for people with 8+ GB of system RAM.  This will work even for extreme use cases.

Step 4: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector. The first number is initial allocation and the second number sets the amount it's allowed to grow to when the game needs it.  For example, "-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m" starts the game with 2 GB of memory and allows the allocation to grow to 4 GB later down the line.

I think the most RAM your game will use, even if you load up all of the mods, will be 4-5GB? Then again when I got these numbers it was with a large load of mods in a previous version, where there were more mods around. It depends I guess on the system too. Still since you have 16GB, even if you multitask while playing, adding more ram for the game ot have available is not that bad? Personally I would put -Xms4G -Xmx8G, if I had so much ram.
Ignorance is bliss..

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 04, 2016, 08:36:58 PM »

Thanks that sounds good, follow up question 16GB ram installed what do I want to run this to use max memory  It says 3 GB Memory: The recommended amount for people with 8+ GB of system RAM.  This will work even for extreme use cases.

Step 4: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector. The first number is initial allocation and the second number sets the amount it's allowed to grow to when the game needs it.  For example, "-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m" starts the game with 2 GB of memory and allows the allocation to grow to 4 GB later down the line.

I think the most RAM your game will use, even if you load up all of the mods, will be 4-5GB? Then again when I got these numbers it was with a large load of mods in a previous version, where there were more mods around. It depends I guess on the system too. Still since you have 16GB, even if you multitask while playing, adding more ram for the game ot have available is not that bad? Personally I would put -Xms4G -Xmx8G, if I had so much ram.

I see well for now I went 2gb - 4gb maybe as the game and mods progress I will alter to use more.  :)

agigabyte

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: August 05, 2016, 05:47:46 PM »

I'm having the same problem as Gacku. I can run the game fine normally, but once I replaced the jre with jre7 from java, which I used with one of the previous builds, then used notepad++ to edit vmparams (I couldn't save it as a non-text file with notepad), and now it doesn't even begin the process I have Tasks Manager open and in processes, there's no Starsector process anymore. I tried re-copying the Java file, and even reinstalling Starsector. Both times, I got the same error.

EDIT: I just changed it back to 1024-1024, and it worked fine. Should I do a complete reinstall of 64-bit Java? Perhaps it's a problem on that end.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 05:49:46 PM by agigabyte »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: August 05, 2016, 05:59:06 PM »

I'm having the same problem as Gacku. I can run the game fine normally, but once I replaced the jre with jre7 from java, which I used with one of the previous builds, then used notepad++ to edit vmparams (I couldn't save it as a non-text file with notepad), and now it doesn't even begin the process I have Tasks Manager open and in processes, there's no Starsector process anymore. I tried re-copying the Java file, and even reinstalling Starsector. Both times, I got the same error.

EDIT: I just changed it back to 1024-1024, and it worked fine. Should I do a complete reinstall of 64-bit Java? Perhaps it's a problem on that end.
The fact that you fixed it by setting it back to 1024 sounds like you don't have 64 bit java.
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: August 05, 2016, 06:00:37 PM »

Copy and paste the file, so we can see it and are you pulling from x86 or program folder?  x86 is 32 bit and the other is x64

agigabyte

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: August 05, 2016, 06:11:38 PM »

This is the file I am currently using.

Code
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

This is the version of the file I had.

Code
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

To answer your second question, I'm pulling from programfiles(x86).

I have played Starsector with extra RAM before (2 gigs) and used the same jre file as I am using now.

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: August 05, 2016, 06:14:34 PM »

This is the file I am currently using.

Code

This is the version of the file I had.

Code

To answer your second question, I'm pulling from programfiles(x86).

I have played Starsector with extra RAM before (2 gigs) and used the same jre file as I am using now.

Step 3: Delete the folder Starsector/jre, then copy over your 64-bit JRE folder (usually called something like jre1.7.0_70) into the Starsector folder.  Rename the folder to jre.

Step 4: In the vmparams file, replace the text "-Xms1024m -Xmx1024m" with the memory you want to allocate to Starsector. The first number is initial allocation and the second number sets the amount it's allowed to grow to when the game needs it.  For example, "-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m" starts the game with 2 GB of memory and allows the allocation to grow to 4 GB later down the line.

Finish: Run starsector.exe as usual to start the game using 64-bit Java with newly-increased memory limits.  Enjoy!

You got to pull from the non x86 thats the 32 bit program also setting 1024 to 1024 sets 1gb  so you need to expand For example, "-Xms2048m -Xmx4096m".  How much ram do you have on your PC?

agigabyte

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: August 05, 2016, 06:31:52 PM »

Dammit, I miswrote the second one. What I actually had before was

Code
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms2048m -Xmx2048m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

My problem was that I misread your instructions. I thought you said the x84 was 64 bits and the other was 32. Thanks!

facc00

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: August 05, 2016, 06:33:23 PM »

Well run a test let us know if it works.  :)

Alex_Kill

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: September 19, 2016, 03:58:16 PM »

Hello guys I'm playing on mac os and i can't find vmprams file

+ i wanted to ask if i have 4 gb of ram memory can i let it use all 4gb for this game( i love mods) won't it be harmful for my mac or can i let it use 3gb? or only 1 2 4 8 gb possible to share?

well guys i fount it in starsector.bat file but it also has another Xss don't you know what is that, i don't know ho to add code, so i added spoiler
Spoiler
..\jre\bin\java -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
[close]
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 04:11:44 PM by Alex_Kill »

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: September 19, 2016, 04:28:50 PM »

Hello guys I'm playing on mac os and i can't find vmprams file

+ i wanted to ask if i have 4 gb of ram memory can i let it use all 4gb for this game( i love mods) won't it be harmful for my mac or can i let it use 3gb? or only 1 2 4 8 gb possible to share?

well guys i fount it in starsector.bat file but it also has another Xss don't you know what is that, i don't know ho to add code, so i added spoiler
Spoiler
..\jre\bin\java -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
[close]
3 gigs is fine. All you need to do is change the -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m to -Xms3072m -Xmx3072m if you want to give SS 3 gigs to use. Also, don't worry about the third number (the 1024xss one). Just leave that the same
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 30