Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513122 times)

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #225 on: March 30, 2016, 03:41:24 PM »

I do not think any game currently works good on Windows 10. on my gaming machine I upgraded to Windows 10, using a spare HDD, only to get the free Windows 10 offer and then downgraded. But I have to admit. THey keep making it better. On other computers or even friends, Windows 10 seem faster and better with games (from what they were).
Ignorance is bliss..

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2016, 06:41:30 PM »

It is also a fully featured botnet who'll upload every single piece of information available on that computer to Micro$oft to do as they will.
The only thing you need to be aware about windows 10 is that Micro$oft is not a non-profit organization.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 06, 2016, 12:15:58 PM »

That does not matter for people that will be remaining with Windows. The only way to go around this, is to get the more expensive professional Windows version, or whatever the name will be. Microsoft sooner or later will abandon Windows 7 and companies that make software and hardware will focus on Windows 10 too. I will not even comment about Windows 8. But for better or worse, Windows 7 will meet the fate of XP eventually. If people hate so much how Windows is tracking their actions, they should move to one of the safe Linux OSes. I never felt my privacy has been safe online, nor that when I visit pages I am not tracked or helping a company make statistics for something that will ultimately make money for someone. Plus, Windows always had the so called telemetry.

In my mind there is a single way to keep absolute privacy online, and that is to not get on the internet.
Ignorance is bliss..

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: May 13, 2016, 10:43:49 PM »

I do not think any game currently works good on Windows 10. on my gaming machine I upgraded to Windows 10, using a spare HDD, only to get the free Windows 10 offer and then downgraded. But I have to admit. THey keep making it better. On other computers or even friends, Windows 10 seem faster and better with games (from what they were).
DX12 games are fairly well optimized for win10 since only win10 supports DX12.
or is it DX13? either way games built on the latest and greatest DX version run silky smooth on win10.

Kevin Flemming

• Commander
  • So say we all.
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: May 14, 2016, 12:19:34 PM »

This is what I did, to get everything working.

1) Downloaded and installed Java from here:

https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp and it's the third link down "Windows Offline 64-bit"

2) Made a new folder inside Starsector's directory called "jre8" so the file path to that folder looks like this:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\jre8

2) Upon activating the Java installation .exe, check the box marked "Change destination Folder" and select newly-created "jre8" folder as the destination.

3) Install Java into that new folder.

4) Delete Starsector's original "jre" folder and rename the "jre8" folder to simply "jre" and run the game.

5) Play Starsector.

At least that's what I did. Also, giving the memory allowance half of your RAM (if you have enough, that is) might help. I have 32GB, so with an allocation of 16GB, it's pretty much guaranteed to never crash. Tempted fate though, haven't I? ;D

EDIT: Damn. Missed a page when reading. And it's already been solved. Well, you can either ignore what I posted or use it for future reference. Whatever. :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 12:22:17 PM by Kevin Flemming »

MuricanTauri1776

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: May 24, 2016, 11:33:51 AM »

on my new computer it always seems to glitch out like crazy and is completely unusable
with 64 bit java--- jre 7 u79 or u80 on 0.65.2
link to images

« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 11:37:00 AM by MuricanTauri1776 »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #231 on: May 24, 2016, 12:27:58 PM »

See the other sticky?  Go read it.

MuricanTauri1776

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: May 27, 2016, 05:02:48 PM »

Fixed with newer version due to graphicslib glitches
also like your Interstellar Imperium Mod.......
also, idea:
SUPER ORBITAL DEFENSE PLATFORM
thanks

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: July 03, 2016, 11:43:35 PM »

Save game crash / corruption!  (OutOfMemoryError)
99% of the time, this happens because Starsector ran out of memory.  Allocate more memory to Starsector by changing the -xms and -xmx values in 'vmparams' (recommended to be at least 2048m for Starsector+, up to 4096m if Nexerelin and a huge number of factions are also enabled).  This requires a 64-bit JVM; see http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8726.0.

Every time i try to change the xms and xmx values and save it, it says "cannot read vmparams file" or something. i have the 64bit jre, im just not sure what im doing wrong.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #234 on: July 04, 2016, 02:14:22 AM »

Make sure you've edited it correctly and that it has the right extension (no extension) and nonrestrictive permissions.

Mine looks like
Code
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -Xss2m -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar;"..//mods/Version Checker/jars/lw_VersionChecker.jar" -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: July 05, 2016, 06:34:31 PM »

i try to edit it and save it but each time it says that i need to contact the administrator and would i like to save it to documents instead, i have administrator privileges this is the first time ive seen it say that i dont have any. in the command console my user says i have them and i even activated it to make sure and still says it idk what to do

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: July 05, 2016, 06:41:51 PM »

and now the game wont start and it just reads off my vmparams

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: July 05, 2016, 07:39:08 PM »

Make sure you've edited it correctly and that it has the right extension (no extension) and nonrestrictive permissions.

Mine looks like
Code
-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit -XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC -XX:+CMSConcurrentMTEnabled -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms4096m -Xmx4096m -Xss2m -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar;"..//mods/Version Checker/jars/lw_VersionChecker.jar" -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

-server -XX:CompilerThreadPriority=1 -XX:+CompilerThreadHintNoPreempt -Djava.library.path=native\\windows -Xms1024m -Xmx1024m -Xss1024k -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;jinput.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.2.jar -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=..\\saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=..\\screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=..\\mods -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher

thats what mine is not sure why i try to start the game it just reads it off like an error message, last time a change was made to it was in 2015 and ive been playing it for a couple of weeks

GNGSTRpenguin

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: July 06, 2016, 12:06:59 PM »

In nemos video he made copies, do you have to delete or remove the vmparams copy and the jre original from the folder? or can you have both in there and somehow the game just knows which one to pick? Any help would be appreciated.

Gacku

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: August 01, 2016, 04:51:51 PM »

I'm having a similar issue where I just can't edit the file. I tried using notepad like with other text based files, but it won't allow me to overwrite the file.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 30