Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513076 times)

Dabclipers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Out of Memory? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside + Video)
« Reply #210 on: March 28, 2016, 07:49:15 PM »

I appreciate your responses, to the earlier post as well: as far as this issue is concerned however:

Unfortunately it seems I do have the 64 bit version as the download you linked gave me the exact same file I had earlier.  Next step is to re-download Starsector huh?  I'll give it a go and see how that works.  If no joy then I will try Java 7.

Will respond soon with the results!

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #211 on: March 28, 2016, 08:07:08 PM »

You're not performing the necessary step of replacing Starsector's 'jre' folder with your own renamed jre folder.

Dabclipers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 28, 2016, 08:13:19 PM »

Unfortunately, I am performing that step.  I've done it both the first and most recent time.  I re-downloaded the game along with a fresh version of the Java link that was supplied.  Deleted the first jre folder and replaced it with the renamed folder from the download.  Game runs fine, but once I change the vmparams xms portion to what is stated in the OP my game will no longer start.  I'm going to try with Java 7 now, see if that makes a difference.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: March 28, 2016, 08:16:03 PM »

Try starting the game from the command line using the starsector.bat file in starsector-core, and instead of editing the vmparams file, edit the (same set of) parameters in the .bat file. What this should give you is an error message that should point to why the game is failing to start.

Dabclipers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 28, 2016, 08:30:53 PM »

You were correct Alex!  It does give me and error message, for around a quarter of a second but i was able to read it by using my phone's slow mo recording option lol, anyways:

The error message is as follows:

Invalid maximum heap size:  -Xmx4g
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size
Error:  Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
Error: A fatal exception has occurred  Program will exit

It sounds like I have been putting the wrong numbers in my vmparams folder, judging from the error message?  I thought got it right.  Could be something else, this sort of thing isn't what I'm good at.  I'm posting this then I am going to double check.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 28, 2016, 08:43:59 PM »

Uhm... without knowledge of Java, I have to ask only this. Are your Windows/OS 64bit? I mean.. it says it exceeds the maximum and I doubt you could have re-downloaded and reinstalled the wrong one again. It is like your OS refuses to use that.
Ignorance is bliss..

Dabclipers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 28, 2016, 08:47:53 PM »

I am running Windows 7 64 bit I promise you haha.  I'll be running Windows 10 soon but regardless, still 64 bit.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 28, 2016, 08:56:50 PM »

It is annoying when you are doing everything ok, and there is something that messes everything up >_> Maybe you have installed the game in Program Files? By the way, you mentioned you had some mods in your other post. Have you tried to start the game without them, especially since two of them are not for 0.7.2a. If the game starts without mods, wit hthe altered vram, then at least you will know one of the mods is pulling your leg?
Ignorance is bliss..

Dabclipers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: March 28, 2016, 09:02:04 PM »

Yeah, frankly with my past experience with these sorts of things it is almost certainly a mistake I made, without doubt.  Even if it's embarrassingly obvious I'd like to get it figured out as soon as possible.  As for the mods, the game literally won't launch.  If I alter the vmparams folder when I double click the .exe file or the shortcut to launch it I get the loading windows circle for about a half second and then nothing.  I guess I could try moving all my mods out of the folder but honestly I doubt that is it.

Might as well try though:

Just tried, that was not the problem sadly.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:05:52 PM by Dabclipers »

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 28, 2016, 09:06:18 PM »

You were correct Alex!  It does give me and error message, for around a quarter of a second but i was able to read it by using my phone's slow mo recording option lol, anyways:

The error message is as follows:

Invalid maximum heap size:  -Xmx4g
The specified size exceeds the maximum representable size
Error:  Could not create the Java Virtual Machine
Error: A fatal exception has occurred  Program will exit

It sounds like I have been putting the wrong numbers in my vmparams folder, judging from the error message?  I thought got it right.  Could be something else, this sort of thing isn't what I'm good at.  I'm posting this then I am going to double check.

Hah. If you run it from the command line (start menu -> run -> "cmd") then the window you run it from will stick around.

I'd try 4000m instead of 4g, although I think 4g is also allowed syntax. If neither works, then I suspect you might have 32 bit java.

Also, try adding a -d64 parameter. Wouldn't expect it to help (and it certainly won't if you've got 32 bit java), but might be worth a shot anyway.

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 28, 2016, 09:15:50 PM »

If you feel you are 100% you got that link, then try to get java from here
http://filehippo.com/download_jre_64/

At least if you run out of option and you want to kill time trying more.
Ignorance is bliss..

Dabclipers

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 28, 2016, 09:21:52 PM »

When I initially started getting this problem I tried converting from 4g to 4000m but that didn't do anything heh, just tried again to make sure and same result.  The 32 bit java thing is possible, I've downloaded about 4 different java versions from different links given in the op and in this thread, so I can't imagine that I manged to get it wrong every time but who knows, trying Weltall's most recent link, will let you guys know the results in a few minutes.  Hopefully I am just incompetent and have been running 32 bit all along ;P

Edit:
Alright....  So it is now working with the version from Weltall X)  I know it may be hard to believe, but I promise I have been actually using 64 bit!  When I installed this newest version it even said | Uninstalling (insert name of the java version) (64bit) | but oh well.  Thank you guys for helping me out with this one, maybe I'm being to premature by celebrating when all I've confirmed is that the game will launch but, eh, that's something.  If I manage to find another issue I'll try and deal with it tomorrow. You guys have a good night (or day depending on location)!
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 09:29:23 PM by Dabclipers »

Weltall

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 28, 2016, 09:45:02 PM »

All well, ends well (hopefully XD)
Ignorance is bliss..

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #223 on: March 28, 2016, 11:41:11 PM »

If you were pulling java out of Program Files (x86) it's the 32-bit version of Java.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 30, 2016, 03:04:39 PM »

I am running Windows 7 64 bit I promise you haha.  I'll be running Windows 10 soon but regardless, still 64 bit.
I  would suggest against that if you like SS as, from what I have read here, Win 1.0 and SS do not work well
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30