Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30

Author Topic: [Important!] Modded System Requirements  (Read 513090 times)

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
Re: Can't Load Saves? Use 64-bit Java! (Instructions Inside)
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2015, 10:52:05 AM »

That seems like a problem on your end.  Windows should not be crashing under any circumstances.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2015, 11:15:02 AM »

I mean, I only tried it once, I am just a little afraid to try it again. Should I be typing in a multiple of 8, thousands of Mb, or are you certain typing 3g, 6g, etc, will function right? =s? If I move the jre7 into the root folder, I edit vmparams, right, and changing the start and max is all I do? *scratches head*

I downloaded JRE7 64bit, I went to where it defaults to in C:'s program files, not in the x64 section. I took the JRE7 folder, moved it to the Starsector core folder, deleted the old JRE folder and renamed JRE7 to just 'jre', as normal, and then I edit vmparams to replace xms1024m and xmx1024 with 3g and 6g respectively (I have 8gb of memory). What do you think?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 11:16:46 AM by TartarusMkII »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #62 on: February 02, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »

64-bit java should start in the Program Files folder as opposed to the Program Files (x86) folder.  You should copy the folder, not move it.  Your vmparams file looks fine; something like -xms3g is a valid argument.  Try not putting in 6GB if you have only 8GB of total RAM.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 02, 2015, 12:59:33 PM »

What other max might you suggest? I'll try some others in a bit and I'll let the thread now how it goes, but thought I'd ask.

So I tried starting it at 3gb and making the max 4gb. I try to load the game and Java.exe maxes out at about 4,700,000K memory in my task manager for some reason. After about 2 minutes or so, it fails with an error. The log says there is an Out of memory error : GC overhead limit exceeded (it did not say this so specifically in the past.)

"according to Sun, the error happens "if too much time is being spent in garbage collection: if more than 98% of the total time is spent in garbage collection and less than 2% of the heap is recovered, an OutOfMemoryError will be thrown."."

What can you tell me about this mate? Also I hope you know I realize you're not tech support, and I am very appreciative of you, your guide, and your time! I just want to play SS+! ;p
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 01:21:59 PM by TartarusMkII »

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:39 PM »

It means, once again, that you ran out of memory.

Sleeeper

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 03, 2015, 04:13:04 AM »

Try increasing page file size and/or multiple page files on different volumes/harddisks. They seem to work better in this case than just one page file (idk why). It did help me.
Also it helps to use  "-XX:-UseGCOverheadLimit" option in vmparams/bat-file
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:16:11 AM by Sleeeper »

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 03, 2015, 04:28:16 AM »

Nah I fixed it, D.R was right,I simply needed more memory. I just need to remove some mods.

Ambient

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 08, 2015, 11:42:50 PM »

Getting an crash/error when running Starfarer+

I followed all instructions and tried all alternative options.

Whenever i visit any planet it immediately CTD

I dont know if its the java version since i cant find the one suggested (its also out of date).

here is the crash log: http://www.mediafire.com/download/v112aqehg17da24/starsector.log

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 12:05:21 AM »

Could you, perchance be trying to run the Templars mod without the Templars actually existing in your game world?

Move this discussion to here: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=8095.285

SpaceRiceBowl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 11, 2015, 12:43:30 PM »

Has 0.65.2 added in 64 bit java, or do we still have to do it manually?
I really don't know what I'm doing...

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 11, 2015, 12:44:59 PM »

It's still 32 bit, but I'm curious to see whether, with the save/load memory use improvements, 64-bit is still necessary.

Dark.Revenant

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Sc2Mafia
« Reply #71 on: February 11, 2015, 12:53:06 PM »

It almost certainly is necessary for users who have lots of mods active, just not to the same extent as before.  Some users were reporting over 6 GB required for their worst-case mod suites, so assuming the efficiency is doubled, that's still 3 GB they need.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 11, 2015, 01:01:01 PM »

It might be more than double for save/loading, which is, as far as I understand, where the issues tend to surface. Normal campaign-gameplay memory use is quite low, isn't it? I think it's in the 200mb range for vanilla, if that.

Delta7

• Commander
  • forum idiot
    • View Profile
    • my personal DA account
« Reply #73 on: February 11, 2015, 04:17:13 PM »

well... i run a handful of mods, and they cause some crashing/ game refusing to load issues. they updated to java 8, im guessing that's probably not gonna work? i go to the java archives, and find about 100 different java 7 things, including more than one thing that says JRE7. assuming i could find the right one, it downloads as a zip file i believe, not an installer. would it even work if it's not in the correct location? or is replacing the JRE folder the only thing that matters? please, someone explain this like your talking to an idiot, because you are.
warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 11, 2015, 04:47:34 PM »

It might be more than double for save/loading, which is, as far as I understand, where the issues tend to surface. Normal campaign-gameplay memory use is quite low, isn't it? I think it's in the 200mb range for vanilla, if that.
Wow, I'm FAR from that when playing vanilla. the average is more 650MB, with low spikes toward 500MB and high ones closer to 900MB. I'm playing with Java 64bits though, maybe that's the reason.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 30