Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Where is the Java that SS uses?  (Read 1917 times)

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
Where is the Java that SS uses?
« on: November 16, 2014, 05:02:09 AM »

Just looking around in the Nvidia control panel, trying to set some defaults, and was wondering where the java executable that Starsector runs on is located so I can set the default card for that one to my Nvidia card.

I've got one folder in the regular Program Files and one in the x86 version, which is where my SS folder is. I've set my Starsector.bat to run using "java" instead of "..\jre\bin\java".

Thanks!
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

Debido

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the Java that SS uses?
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 05:08:37 AM »

read: "..\jre\bin\java".
means: go up one directory, then down jre\bin\java...

it's in your [Starsector]\jre\bin\java folder buddy.

jupjupy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 05:10:58 AM »

Ah, alright. Just wanted to know so I could swap out the 32bit version of Java that Alex said SS shipped with and replace it with the 64bit version.

Interestingly, it seems to work now.
You see, Araragi-san, in a way, the supernatural is what's behind the curtain.
Normally, you only need to see what's happening on stage. That's how reality works.

ciago92

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 06:44:25 AM »

Ah, alright. Just wanted to know so I could swap out the 32bit version of Java that Alex said SS shipped with and replace it with the 64bit version.

Interestingly, it seems to work now.

to do that, copy the "JRE7" folder from your 64 bit java and paste it in the starsector folder. backup the current "jre" folder as "jrebak" and then rename the "jre7" folder as "jre" and it should work. There are directions about this somewhere, if I can find the link I'll post it. Regardless, I think this is a discussion rather than a bug report and should be moved appropriately