Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: UI is way too obtuse  (Read 16009 times)

GUNINANRUNIN

• Admiral
  • Let's do it!
    • View Profile
Re: Game is way too complex
« Reply #45 on: November 12, 2014, 05:38:55 PM »

This is... interesting. I don't mean to call you guys dumb or anything, but I don't see it. I mean, every statistic is so self explanatory.
^^This.
In short, if you throw a stone out of the rear window of your spaceship you will go faster.

SatchelCharge

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: UI is way too obtuse
« Reply #46 on: November 13, 2014, 06:21:07 AM »

My gripes with the UI are far and few between. It works very well considering the amount of data we get from it. The mouse-over + F1 tips are great.... play for 5 hours, 6 hours, and your eyes are trained to every part.

cardgame

• Commander
  • Sonic Rainboom
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 13, 2014, 12:17:32 PM »

Ah, so the supplies/day is the logistics rating? Thanks, Copper.

Kommodore Krieg

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 14, 2014, 03:01:51 PM »

I don't know about anyone else, but when a game presents "stats" for something to me in a "simple" way (take the guns in BF4 for example; the "stats" are all displayed as a series of numberless but easy to read bars) I immediately leave the game so I can find some actual numbers online.  Starsector thankfully doesn't do this, all the numbers are right there in front of me.  Now, I am not saying the display could not be improved in some way, organized better or some such, but the display of actual statistics shouldn't be sacrificed on the altar of "ease of use". 

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 14, 2014, 03:15:57 PM »

I've only played this since 0.6.2a so I don't really know how things were from before that, but I haven't had any problem with the current UI.

One thing that bothers me is fuel distance in hyperspace. The Intel tab's map tells me some info, as does hovering over the fuel gauge, but I have no clue how that corresponds to actual distance in hyperspace.

I'd love to see a "Fuel Used" or "Total Light Years" when pointing the cursor at a point on the Map tab.

orost

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 14, 2014, 04:27:42 PM »

I don't really have any problems with the ship stat UI, it's perfectly clear to me.

I have some other gripes with the UI though:

• The map becomes hopelessly cluttered when there is a lot of stuff packed in a small area
  • I wish I could unpause the game on the map. I find myself exiting the map, letting two seconds pass, checking the map again to see how nearby fleets have moved, exiting the map again and so on...
  • The out-of-battle view could use similiar edge-of-screen markers to what the tactical view has.
  • I wish I could do "video feed" from an enemy ship. I can move the camera manually and see everything anyway, so it wouldn't be giving me any extra information.
  • It's way too easy to dislodge yourself from the video feed. Every time I go to the map I have to reselect it.
  • There is a desperate need for an in-battle summary of the state of your forces. Something on the side that shows your ships, their hull, flux, CR and ammo, remaining time for frigates, what their orders are, what the AI is doing (attacking, retreating, etc.), also a summary of strike craft status (active craft, available replacements, which squadrons are being serviced and which are awaiting carrier slots). Also a log of important events, like what we have currently but more comprehensive, including ships being overloaded, running out of ammo, taking severe hull damage, being in critical danger (assuming the AI is capable of assesing that). This is all information that is crucial to properly managing a battle but right now can only be obtained by manually looking around or not at all. I find myself frequently taking unnecessary losses because I would have to pause the game and look around every 15 seconds to make sure I spot something going wrong.
  • It took me about 10 hours to notice you can click the button in the market to see the supply and demand info. That might be just the dumbs though.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2014, 04:32:28 PM by orost »

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2014, 12:18:39 PM »

There is a desperate need for an in-battle summary of the state of your forces.

I strongly second that.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]