Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Planet Search Overhaul (07/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lack of Game Publicity?  (Read 7192 times)

Regularity

• Commander
    • View Profile
Lack of Game Publicity?
« on: November 08, 2014, 05:17:02 PM »

I've always been a big space sim fan, and every once in a while when I'm bored I'll attempt to delve into game databases or recommendation lists for increasingly older, more obscure titles when I've played my fill of the ones I have. However, I didn't discover Starsector until very recently, which I found rather surprising given, what seems to me, relatively high production quality. The game is not listed on Steam Greenlight, on Wikipedia, and there seems to be virtually no press coverage since 2012 (which was minimal to begin with), even among the sort of game sites which normally cover smaller PC game development. There also seems to be little mention of it on other game-related forums that I've been able to find.

This genuinely baffles me given that other games, particularly ones that have been rushed to completion or were of generally buggy and lower-quality, have managed to garner more publicity than this game. Additionally, this game seems to have a very active modding and forum community, in fact it's probably one of the largest and most active I've seen outside a multi-million dollar game production. This only makes the lack of outside publicity even more confusing.

So, my question is, has there been any particular reason for this? Was it because of the game's name change from "Starfarer"? Is it just because game development has been going extremely slow? (I've noticed there have been gaps in release timestamps sometimes upwards of six months, and even a one year gap between 0.65 and 0.62, but I'm not sure if that's just because the way patch releases were merged/recorded...) Or have the developers just not been actively seeking publicity/hype until they feel its fully complete? Or something else I'm missing?

Namelessjake

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Game Publicity?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 05:21:54 PM »

Alex doesn't want the game's audience to grow too big until he feels the game is finished enough. The game's cycle of updates is slow but it's been like that for a long time.

I'm glad the game's community has remained relativity small. I'd use DayZ as an example of a game's community growing too large before the game was ready for it.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2014, 05:45:06 PM »

I've always been a bit sad at how little publicity there is for this awesome game. Iirc though, Alex just doesn't want the publicity with the game in its current alpha state. As long as he's surviving off more than raman noodles from the proceeds, then I don't see the problem.

(Seriously though Alex, if you're just eating raman you can tell us. We'll send a care basket. It won't even be stuffed full of half baked ship designs.)

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 06:28:59 PM »

I discovered this game when Total Biscuit did a video about it a while ago. I have loved every hour of the game since then. Since then I've seen nothing about this game anywhere else :(.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2014, 10:08:59 PM »

If Alex is doing okay financially, then I find no reason for concern. On the other hand, since TotalBiscuit has done one video on this already, and liked it, I hope to see him put another video out on Starsector. That'll really boost interest.

Probably overload the forum and maybe the main site for a couple days too.

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2014, 05:05:27 AM »

TB was my route here also.

I have to say though, getting him to do a video on it is out of our control. Only Alex can have any real impact on that at all.

I could always reach out to WoW Crendor when Alex starts his publicity push and maybe that would get TB's traction on board too. I have Crendor on skype from a video we did once, so although I've not messaged him since I figure I get one shot (and probably removed :P)

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2014, 05:07:23 AM »

It's not impossible to get credible suggestions through to TB by any means, and since he wanted to see where the game was going a year or two ago, I'd say that counts. Not that it matters for now though, Alex likes his... privacy? :D

Newnonel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2014, 05:02:28 AM »

I found this game via a random comment in RPS comments. O.o Another thing, is that this is quite similar to M&B style of presenting general movement and combat, which is always a good thing. :D

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2014, 08:49:17 AM »

It is true. I haven't seen any mentions of it anywhere since TB did his WTF video.
I don't recall exactly how I found out about the game. It was maybe a month before TB did his video though.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2014, 07:14:39 PM »

Sunders are the best ship in the game.

bills6693

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2014, 04:30:25 AM »

I found this game via a random comment in RPS comments. O.o Another thing, is that this is quite similar to M&B style of presenting general movement and combat, which is always a good thing. :D
Was it my comment about what I'm playing this weekend? :D

Newnonel

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2014, 05:00:49 AM »

YES. THANK YOU.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2014, 12:08:47 PM »

TB actually did a follow up video once the campaign came out - an extra gift from him. :)
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

nonomo4

• Lieutenant
  • The Light!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2014, 09:26:41 PM »

To be honest, I love watching the evolution of this game. If publicity would harm its progress, I definitely agree with the idea of a small community till the game is at 1.0 or beyond if necessary.

lStealtherl

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2014, 03:14:17 AM »

Would it surprise you if TB were lurking around once in a while and kept tabs of its progress? Because, I doubt he would be that interested to make a second video for another update patch. Then again, those days were before he became busy with the big game titles (I think?).
Pages: [1] 2