Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Confusion over faction cargo scans. Are they OP?  (Read 6388 times)

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Confusion over faction cargo scans. Are they OP?
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2014, 04:17:38 PM »

Only 8750 credits? That's chicken feed. Patrol scan fees aren't that bad, i've never gone broke because of them, and in most cases I just out run them,

I just don't like taking the standings hit either, as my game play tends to revolve around getting in the favor of some faction to buy their military crapski,

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2014, 05:04:49 PM »

Reading this thread suggests to me that tolls are only really an issue early game. By the midgame, an 8000 credit toll is basically irrelevant when a single named bounty pays at least three times as much and you have 200,000 credits in your bank account.

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2014, 05:30:42 PM »

I find that the patrols will scan your fleet whenever they detect a massive change in your cargo - which is why fleets will almost always stop you if you pick up 10,000 food to feed Volturn.  The thought running through their head is - "holy ***, did that guy just purchase a ton of organs / hand weapons / drugs from the black market?  Better check on him."  Which seems perfectly logical, as they don't know what's in your cargo bay until they check on you.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2014, 05:36:34 PM »

I find that the patrols will scan your fleet whenever they detect a massive change in your cargo - which is why fleets will almost always stop you if you pick up 10,000 food to feed Volturn.  The thought running through their head is - "holy ***, did that guy just purchase a ton of organs / hand weapons / drugs from the black market?  Better check on him."  Which seems perfectly logical, as they don't know what's in your cargo bay until they check on you.

Though at the same time, it is a common concept in free-trading that ideally, you want to have a full cargo hold at all times; Take full cargo to sell for profit, pick a destination, fill up on stuff they need, then repeat. It does not make sense for cargo ships/trucks/boats to travel empty!

frogbones

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2014, 12:09:04 PM »

Only 8750 credits? That's chicken feed. Patrol scan fees aren't that bad, i've never gone broke because of them, and in most cases I just out run them,

not when they're about to charge you again not even full day later (17000 plus total), and it's the same fleet that just scanned you. yea that's alot for a "humble trader" ;)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2014, 12:21:54 PM »

Though at the same time, it is a common concept in free-trading that ideally, you want to have a full cargo hold at all times; Take full cargo to sell for profit, pick a destination, fill up on stuff they need, then repeat. It does not make sense for cargo ships/trucks/boats to travel empty!

Well, if you kept your cargo holds at around the same level - you wouldn't have to suffer the cargo scans.  If you sell off / take on a whole load of stuff and leave the station, then that gives reason.
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

TartarusMkII

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2014, 02:57:28 PM »

So I started a new play through as a bounty hunter using some advice I obtained in some other threads. I started out with two Wolfs and then traveled to the place that the modded faction SCY lives, and bought a bunch of their really nice freighters with bounty money. Starting out I really had no cargo, so the fees were not a big deal.

But I noticed, for some reason, unique to this playthrough, once I started spending a lot of time in Corvus fighting pirates, the Hegemony and Independents simply would not scan me. This does not make sense to me because as I said, other playthroughs where I would also be a bounty hunter still involved these scans.

I know some of you have mentioned the idea of cargo level fluctuations, but I wonder, is that an actual game mechanic, or a theory? Because realistically they would not know what my cargo is like until they scan in the first place. But is it an actual game mechanic?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2014, 05:32:48 PM »

I'm fairly certain it's a game mechanic - I'd go off to purchase a bunch of Food, get scanned by the resident faction, go over to the ailing world, occasionally get scanned by the resident faction in the new system, sell my food, and instantly get scanned by the same faction as soon as I left the station.

By the way, the higher reputation you have with a faction (the good kind of reputation), the less that faction will scan you.  If you have higher reputation with their enemies, for example, you're high with the Tri-Tachyon, they'll scan you more (within my experience, at least).  They'll also scan you more if you have lower reputation with them (fact).
Pages: 1 [2]