Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curious about Starsector Memory Usage (32-bit)  (Read 2593 times)

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
Curious about Starsector Memory Usage (32-bit)
« on: November 05, 2014, 08:32:10 PM »

So - confession time - I may have made a booboo when reinstalling windows 7 after a head-disk crash oopsie'd my last HD and used a colleague's enterprise disc (that only installed 32-bit), and having a modern system with a boatload of ram, this isn't normally a problem as Physical Address Extension bios hacks can give you access to most of it for individual programs to use.

But java is absolutely awful about dynamically requesting a larger page-file (and caps at a tiny value on the 32bit version); perchance someone familiar with java might know of a fix?

Maniaks

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Curious about Starsector Memory Usage (32-bit)
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 04:49:01 AM »

I use win7 32 with 3GB ram. No problems with starfarer, loadings are fine and game is 60fps without noticable memory problems.
One thing that takes a bit of time is saving. I believe it's not related to ram but to the way the save system works. There is a big xml the game tries to create.

Sorry if that's not an answer but i thought i could post a feedback semi on topic.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 04:51:08 AM by Maniaks »

moozaad

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 04:46:53 AM »

As long as you have a official windows license, there's not reason you can't just google 'digital river windows 7 iso' and get the latest x64 and reinstall it. Digital river handle Microsoft's consumer sales and distribution. Not reason to run 32b these days.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2014, 04:19:27 AM »

There is when I don't want to reinstall 700gigabytes of games, data, and carefully tweaked program settings.

Ishman

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2014, 08:04:41 AM »

Yep, can't play with sound enabled - out of memory error every time java goes over 1.1gb, and loading in the sound files on initial launch always does this...