Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Could Someone Explain the Market Screen?  (Read 2407 times)

BillyRueben

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Could Someone Explain the Market Screen?
« on: November 02, 2014, 09:31:48 AM »

As the title states, I have no idea how to read the marketing screen. I can read when a station is importing or exporting goods, but I can't understand when something is highlighted in green vs. red, or why some things are on the left side of the arrow vs. the right side. So if someone a little more "in the know" could clue me in, I'd be grateful.

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Could Someone Explain the Market Screen?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 09:57:38 AM »

You and me both... >.<
Help out MesoTroniK, a modder in need

2021 is 2020 won
2022 is 2020 too

Gothars

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Eschewing obfuscatory verbosity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 10:13:00 AM »

Omg... I did not even know that screen existed :o  Or rather, I completely forgot since reading the blogpost about it. I was missing out on so much info...

As I understand it, green marks commodity stockpiles that are in excess of the market's demand, and thus can be bought (by the player) at a good price. Red is stuff that is missing to meet the market's demand, and thus can be sold (btp) with profit. "Profit" here is relative to the standard price of items and does not consider tariffs. Real profit can likely only be made during events.
What is shown is not the total market demand though, but the "leftover" demand after trade by regular/faction traders has already happened.

The arrow marks if a commodity is being mostly imported (<) or exported (>). Everything to the left of it is part of the market, everything on the right is outside of the market.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 10:17:44 AM by Gothars »
The game was completed 8 years ago and we get a free expansion every year.

Arranging holidays in an embrace with the Starsector is priceless.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 07:41:45 PM »

Each of the icons (left side, right side, red outline, green outline, no outline) have tooltips ;)

As to how they actually influence prices, though... I have no idea.

Aereto

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 10:26:15 PM »

Trading in a legitimate manner tend to have slim or negative profits due to tariffs, but I find better uses on reading import/export tables when I intend to sell them on the black market.

That or perhaps a tell-tale indicator of possible food shortages. Can't be it since Jangala can produce enough food to self-sustain unless its stockpiles just keep getting bought... Then there's Sindria (even suffered food shortage due to previously said actions). Eos system is the major food-producing site, having an agricultural emphasis.